Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 02:26 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,477,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen1971 View Post
My suggestion is real simple. Don't ever get another pet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 02:58 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,477,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
We are at epidemic levels with the amount of homeless dogs in the US right now due to all the housing upheaval happening. I hope it all works out .
We are even at epidemic levels here in the Pacific NW, where nationally recognized rescues abound, where many animal rights groups are centered. This is also an area in which the world's first animal rights law degree program was instituted. That law school holds an annual animal rights and animal legislation conference (to my knowledge, the first in the world). There are lawyers whose entire practice is based upon animal rights and protection.

In other words, if a throw-away dog has a chance at living in a home - and not a laboratory - it will be in this area.

And still, we are at epidemic levels in homeless, abandoned & abused dogs (cats, horses, etc.). I learned yesterday that one of our local county shelters takes in over 1,200 pit bulls each year - and [direct quote] "the number is skyrocketing." Their rate of adoption for all dogs is not near that number.

Used to be, shelters would not advertise the facts; now they are screaming for help, and letting people know exactly what happens to these poor creatures when they are thrown out. Good. People should not be able to ignore the consequences of their actions and know that their 'beloved' pet, whom they abandon, will most likely come to a horrific end.

When I first read this thread last night, my heart ached. Now, it just pisses me off. I hope things turn out well in this single case, too.

To the OP: At least you asked for help, but obviously you struck a nerve here, and a lot of responses are not necessarily directed at you. Many people on this board are involved in animal rescue, and see the realities of people's actions, well intentioned or not. You do have many viable options. Please take advantage of one of them, pug rescues for instance. At least give your dog a chance at life.

Old 11-21-2008, 03:49 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,219,720 times
Go to petfinder.com and put in pug and your zip code in the search box, that will bring up pug rescues in your area.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:15 PM

426 posts, read 1,571,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Can I just add that HAVING to find a pet friendly place out of my town was the best thing that ever happened to our family since moving to Vermont in Sept. 07.
I have to agree here. I was in a no-pets apartment when I got my cat. (I know, I know... ) I moved because of the cat. When I got my dog (not really intentionally) I again moved, because of the dog. (Note: I did NOT get rid of the cat because I got the dog.)

Sounds inconvenient...but I live in a really great place now, that I never would have found if it weren't for my pets. On top of that, I find that I'm taking better care of myself, because there are things I do for the animals that I wouldn't do for ME before...until I noticed that well, I wouldn't expect the CAT to put up with (fill in the blank) so why should I? LOL. They really are angels with fur...

Anyway. I agree with the pug rescue suggestions as well. A good rescue group will be responsible for the animal FOR LIFE (like the owners should be) - if the new home runs into any difficulties they will take it back. It's really the only way to be sure that the dog won't meet a bad fate in the future.

Pugs are not so common that a rescue wouldn't have room for one...not like Labs or German Shepherds unfortunately.

Old 11-22-2008, 11:59 AM

2,540 posts, read 6,233,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g1rly01 View Post
Well, we have no money to move and that would help us keep the place we put a deposit on. I have a 4 month old and he is a little moer important right now. I love this dog very much and i hate getting rid of him. I have cried for days
If you're that broke, maybe you should have held off on having a baby. Talk about an expense!!!!!! I hope your little pug finds a forever home w/ someone that welcomes him into the family, not disposes him when the baby comes along.

Old 11-22-2008, 01:39 PM

19 posts, read 61,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Not going to even start....yes I will.I'll speak my mind then answer the original question.
The dog was there first, then kid comes along so the dog gets sold so that its owner can move away and leave it with a potential stranger. Dog is the owner's best friend before kid, but when kid comes along, the best friend is sold.

That, IMHO is a rotten thing for somebody to do. At least find him a home without taking something for your own benefit.

-Steps off soapbox-

Anyway, try asking friends or family. Or taking out an add in the newspaper. Worse comes to worse, Im assuming he's a pure pug. If you put him into a shelter Im sure somebody will come along and love him enough to take him home.
I would never put a pet in higher place then my child things change your not gonna give your kid away no matter what when it comes to a child a dog is just a dog.

Old 11-22-2008, 06:30 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,666,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahskye View Post
If you're that broke, maybe you should have held off on having a baby. Talk about an expense!!!!!! I hope your little pug finds a forever home w/ someone that welcomes him into the family, not disposes him when the baby comes along.
Funny you mentioned that. I would think it is cheaper to take care of a little pug than a baby! Why do people have children they cannot afford and then get rid of a little 12 pound dog that reqires so little to eat?
Selling a family member because you need money to move? This is just beyond my comprehension. Sorry, but I feel for all these unwanted pets that end up in already full capacity shelters. Family pets are not disposable but irresponsible pet owners should be!

Old 11-22-2008, 07:47 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,035,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowsaboutpitbulls View Post
I would never put a pet in higher place then my child things change your not gonna give your kid away no matter what when it comes to a child a dog is just a dog.
To me, a kid is just a kid.
And when did I say anything about putting a dog higher than a kid?

They're equal in many people's eyes, and EACH requires responsibility, and neither are to be considered disposable.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:03 PM

947 posts, read 3,410,567 times
Well, I wonder what has happened with the little pug.
OP hasn't been here, ...
We are all pretty passionate here and disagree with her desire to find a new home for the little pug, We all gave our opinions but I do hope the little guy is O.K. ... ???

Old 11-23-2008, 03:21 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,313,206 times
I think that poor little mite is up for sale on craigs list, since she hasn't been back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs