Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 06:09 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,369,252 times

Advertisements

I would suggest contacting pug rescue and explain your situation. If there is no Pug rescue in your area check with no kill shelters, they would be your second best bet.

I just googled Pug Rescue and there are plenty of Pug groups who will foster your dog, evaluate him and place him in a screened home.

You are in an unfortunate situation as many people are today and that's why shelters are full to over flowing...people loosing homes and can't take their pets with them.

Selling you dog will not get him a "better place". Your young dog needs the best chance for a second owner you can find him and since you can no longer care for him you owe him that much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 06:23 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,950,467 times
Please DO NOT sell your dog: surrender it to a pug rescue (and there are LOTS of them) instead!

Why? Because people who train pit bulls really like to use pugs for 'bait' because they're so passive. And they'll send their girlfriends to 'front' for them, giving you money and then turning the dog over to the people who'll be responsible for it's cruel, painful and slow death.

This dog has been your best friend: do what's right for him if you absolutely CANNOT keep him: turn him in to a pug rescue. They're all over the US. Just google "pug rescue."

Old 11-21-2008, 07:00 AM

702 posts, read 2,524,720 times
Don't forget the dogs that get sold into research. I think if you have no option but to surrender your dog that I agree with the other posters that finding a reputable pug rescue would be a good option. I don't think that you can count on getting money for your dog and know that your dog went to a good home. There are just too many bad stories out there. Pugs are little dogs and little dogs are easier to place. It's really ashame you can't find another alternative.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:09 AM

138 posts, read 618,976 times
I'm sorry that your in the situation that you are in but to give your pug up because you can't find a place or because you want to put that money towards a deposit is just not fair. I have heard so many people surrender their animals because they couldn't find a place that will accept dogs. And that to me, is just a sorry excuse. There are many places that are pet friendly these days. Maybe you should look a little further and do a little more research on finding a place that will accept dogs. I personally can't imagine moving and NOT taking my pugs with me. There is no way I'd give them up just because I can't find a pet friendly place. There are so many places out there that WILL take a pet. Go through the phone book and call all the apartment places and ask them if they are pet friendly. I guarantee you, you'll find a hand full!! I feel so bad for these animals that are given up just because. It really breaks my heart that people look at them as a piece of property and sell them like it's a car or some type of furniture. They do have feelings. They do rely on you and human companionship. They are used to you, your schedule, your voice, etc. Anyway, I'll too, get off my soapbox now.

If you really are set on getting rid of your pug, I ditto the pug rescue route. If you can't keep your dog, please look in to giving him to the rescue. They will check the potential adoptive family out, do a home check, check references and check their vet records. You selling him for money because it will help you with your deposit is just not fair. You can't be sure he/she is going to a good home. Please, PLEASE look in to rescue. They will find him a very, very good home and you can rest assured that he will not be put to sleep.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:13 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,685,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g1rly01 View Post
I am moving and need help finding a home for my pug, any suggestions??

My suggestion is real simple. Don't ever get another pet.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:24 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,079,286 times
Can I just add that HAVING to find a pet friendly place out of my town was the best thing that ever happened to our family since moving to Vermont in Sept. 07.

We were upset to have to move our son to a new school but as the dog is a family member, we all had to give and take with this new move.

We moved to a better town with more resources, closer to stores, nicer neighbors...our last village was 'insular' and we lived with a stigma of being 'renters' in a place most people owned 2 houses.

Coming here because of the dog made us see more of the area is actually 'normal' with middle class/lower middle class working folks.

So maybe you can keep looking further afield.

Having to move here was a blessing in disguise.

Good luck to you and your dog.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:28 AM

947 posts, read 3,410,122 times
This is all so sad and happens way too often.

Please, at least find a Great New home for your 4 legged baby. If you can't find a great home, I mean one that they really really care and will have doggie better or worse for the rest of his life then find a pug rescue, so that they will do the search for you.

Please, do Not Sell one of your kids! grrrrrr

Old 11-21-2008, 08:57 AM

1,222 posts, read 4,606,721 times
When we decided to move back to the USA from the UK our Boxer came with us. That was something we had thought about when we brought her years before. Millie has since lived in 3 states and is a seasoned traveller done well as she is nearly 12.
Would have been easier to have left one of the boys in the Uk with family then leave Millie lol
We adopted one of our Pugs from Pug Rescue in Florida - if you must part with your Pug definately send him to a Pug rescue near you.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:44 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,312,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g1rly01 View Post
Well, we have no money to move and that would help us keep the place we put a deposit on. I have a 4 month old and he is a little moer important right now. I love this dog very much and i hate getting rid of him. I have cried for days
I understand your prediciment of not having much money, but please don't sell your dog. He'll most likely end up with another person like you who didn't throughly think through pet ownership, inwhich case he may end up at some point in a shelter and be put to sleep. Look for a breed rescue and he will never have to spend a minute in a shelter, he will be in a home.

Here is a site listings of apartments that accept dog.

Apartment Rental and Hotel Directory accepting Dogs, Cats and Other Pets

Old 11-21-2008, 10:36 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,665,345 times
I was not going to reply to this one, but I will try to hold back somewhat! Here goes! I cannot imagine surrendering a family pet like this one. You are the statistic of why shelters are at full capacity, sorry to say it! (Moving, Had a baby) Irresponsible to the max!
Go to your local Petsmart on a Sat. from 11am to 4pm. Maybe the rescue group there can help you or take the poor dog. They have pet adoptions there every Saturday. This is very sad! (for the poor little pug)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs