Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 04:16 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,582,606 times

Advertisements

As some of you know, I rescued an injured Dacshund who was hit by a car, then abandoned by his owners (5 yrs old). His back region is in very bad shape, but he still has sensation there, so can hopefully be rehabilitated enough to walk again one day. He was never neutered, and has been getting excited, which must be very frustrating for him since he cant even hump a blanket! Even worse, his testicles sometimes drag on the floor since he cant hold his back end up yet, which must be annoying and painful. My dilemma here is that neutering affects hormones that help with muscle development, and this may slow down his recovery or even possibly deter it to some extent. I should also point out that the sexual frustration combined with being in a new environment is really stressing him out, he whines a lot and Im pretty sure this will slow down his process as well...I am definitely not of the school of thought that suggests relieving the dog myself, that just crosses a line I dont even want to go near let alone step over! What do you all think? What would you do in this situation? Thanks in advance for any input!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 04:30 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
Wow...that is a tough one! What does the vet have to offer on the situation?

Old 12-15-2008, 04:33 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,403,189 times
If his nuts are dragging the floor and the Vet says its OK give him brain surgery. I cant even imagine the pain of that.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:52 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
As some of you know, I rescued an injured Dacshund who was hit by a car, then abandoned by his owners (5 yrs old). His back region is in very bad shape, but he still has sensation there, so can hopefully be rehabilitated enough to walk again one day. He was never neutered, and has been getting excited, which must be very frustrating for him since he cant even hump a blanket! Even worse, his testicles sometimes drag on the floor since he cant hold his back end up yet, which must be annoying and painful. My dilemma here is that neutering affects hormones that help with muscle development, and this may slow down his recovery or even possibly deter it to some extent. I should also point out that the sexual frustration combined with being in a new environment is really stressing him out, he whines a lot and Im pretty sure this will slow down his process as well...I am definitely not of the school of thought that suggests relieving the dog myself, that just crosses a line I dont even want to go near let alone step over! What do you all think? What would you do in this situation? Thanks in advance for any input!!!
There are also additional increased risks that should be considered before deciding whether or not to neuter. Naturally, a neutered animal is not going to get testicular cancer and it virtually eliminates "wander lust." However, neutering also increases by four times the risk of prostrate cancer, doubles the risk of bone cancer, and increases the risk of soft tissue cancer, among other health problems.

I do not neuter my male dogs for those reasons I listed above.

I would leave him be, but keep a close eye on him when you let him outside. He may just decide to check out the neighborhood. Oh, and that "humping" behavior could also be dominance behavior, not because he is horny. Females will even "hump" other females to demonstrate their dominance, it doesn't necessarily mean that it is sexual behavior.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:55 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,442,839 times
luvmycat -- it's a real simple surgery for the dogs and it won't hurt him. Might keep him from marking his territory and humping things. Well, at least he won't hump as much. Even my boy Einstein still humps my arm from time to time. The only difference is, he doesn't have the equipment to do much.

Your boy will be fine whatever you decide to do!

Old 12-15-2008, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
He was never neutered, and has been getting excited....
You mean his lipstick is showing?

Old 12-15-2008, 05:18 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
luvmycat -- it's a real simple surgery for the dogs and it won't hurt him. Might keep him from marking his territory and humping things. Well, at least he won't hump as much. Even my boy Einstein still humps my arm from time to time. The only difference is, he doesn't have the equipment to do much.

Your boy will be fine whatever you decide to do!
I think she is more worried about the rehabilitation of his back legs along with the possibility of a neuter.....not just the simple neuter.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
I think she is more worried about the rehabilitation of his back legs along with the possibility of a neuter.....not just the simple neuter.
It won't hurt him either way. But might be good to let him adjust to his new home for a few weeks first. Poor little guy has been through enough without losing his equipment. My dog whines a lot, too. But that's just how she is. She likes to 'talk.' Maybe this guy is a talker, too.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:43 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,582,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
You mean his lipstick is showing?
Thats exactly what I mean!but he cant hump to relieve himself...if he could I would feel better about leaving him be. It only adds to his frustration, which isnt helping him. My friend is consulting several of her veternarian associates (since she works at the emergency center, there are several, plus she has worked at other daytime clinics in the past and remains in contact with some of the doctors there)...she is actually on her way over here right now to help me express his bladder (its kind of hard to get the hang of but shes a pro!) so hopefully she will have some feedback for me. Im erring on the side of having it done, just because the equipment dragging is awful enough without the added torture of the other thing. I just want the poor guy to be comfortable enough to relax and get some rest so he can heal! He calmed down a little when I gave him one of those healthy edibles bones to chew on, at least...

Old 12-15-2008, 08:47 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,929,449 times
Another advantage of not neutering would be weight management. Intact males rarely become overweight and with decreased mobility, your new guy is at risk of getting chubby which would be awful for his back problems. Leaving him intact would reduce his risk of obesity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs