Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 08:16 PM

475 posts, read 1,305,565 times

Advertisements

Thank you for all your hard work. I volunteer at my local shelter and it's SO hard sometimes. It's amazing how loving dogs can be even after all they have been though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 09:01 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,666,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I knew I shouldn't have opened this thread.
Me too! It makes me sick! I was not going to open it either but I had too much curiosity! I will say a prayer for those two poor dogs. glad they got them outta there! Hope they are safe and put up for adoption eventually. That reminds me I have to call in something also! I just do not get all the animal abuse in this country. Seems like we are becoming a third world country. Shame on what is going on in this country all over with so much animal abuse! I am so upset over this...UGH!
Keep us posted!

Old 01-01-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickchick2000 View Post
Thank you for all your hard work. I volunteer at my local shelter and it's SO hard sometimes. It's amazing how loving dogs can be even after all they have been though.
I know exactly how you feel, I did it for over 12 years and I had to step away! I saw way too much horrendous abuse! It just got way too overwhelming. The six rescues I have all went thru some really bad abuse and you would not believe what sweethearts they all are. They were all considered unadoptable that is why I have them as most of us rescuers do too! We take the ones no one else wants! Such a shame. My little deaf one was left for dead and is full of scars. I look at her expressive sad eyes sometimes and cry! There are just so many that cannot be saved and it is just not fair that their lives are taken away.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:14 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,590,473 times
I find this so crazy! All the pitbulls I have ever met have been sweet, beautiful, wonderful dogs, it is so outrageously unfair that they still get a bad rap b/c of crappy owners! My chihuahuas had way more vicious attitudes (before training/socialization) than any pitbull I know...little Napoleonettes!!! I wish animals had more laws protecting them, it sucks that so many still view their pets as property and treat them in whatever manner they choose just because they feel it is their right to do so. (There is a thread in Great Debates about this, but dont read it unless you are ready to get mad...there are some very cold attitudes on there, and some very ignorant assumptions as well). Thank you for doing what you do, it is so difficult but so noble...my heart goes out to both you and the poor dogs!

Old 01-02-2009, 03:22 AM

603 posts, read 1,948,332 times
Blondie:::We actually have a deaf pitbull there.He is HUGE.All white with black freckles.Someone did a terrible crop on his ears and theyre backwards!He was trembling when he first came in,now he SCREAMS when he sees me.He walks GREAT on leash,hes a mush and he is already learning hand commands.But yanno people are still scared.If it was up to me id take em all.In my eyes theyre all adoptable.But i guess all we can do is make their time at the shelter good and hope they get a good home.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:19 AM

3,751 posts, read 12,412,300 times
Kuddos to you for working at the shelter. You unfortunately see the worst side of people from that view. I do breed specific rescue and have actually thrown up twice from things I have seen when out to pick up a rescue dog from a bad situation. It is hard to keep going sometimes. The way I get through it is my "wall of hope" that I have here at the house. It is a wall of pictures of all the rescues I have been involved in showing the pups in their "forever homes" now healthy, happy and safe. It works for me maybe you could try it too to get through the hard times.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:43 AM

340 posts, read 646,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
On the news here in TN there was a story about a man who had a dog chained outside so long the chain actually became imbedded in the dog's neck. The man was was arrested and will spent one to seven years in prison because here in TN animal cruelty is a felony.
We must push our elected officials to make animal cruelty a felony in all states.
I am glad to hear that your State has stepped up to the plate and let the world know that animal cruelty will be punished severely. I recently got word from a shelter I used to volunteer at in Arkansas; the State of Arkansas is considering a felony animal cruelty bill, and the shelter manager was debating on whether or not to support the bill (because of some wording in the bill):

Quote:
Our shelter is the leading shelter in abuse investigation, prosecution, and rescue in the State of Arkansas
We have worked with the AG's office in numerous meetings, but can not support a bill that allows the possible killing of cats or dogs because a person is protecting their "property".
Each person has a totally different definition of what "property" warrants protection, and to what degree they will go to to protect it. This exemption is too vague and will surely jeopordize the well- being of all animals. We have tried to no avail to have this exemption explained or examples given. We above all want a felony cruelty law, but not at the expense of one beloved pet. We have not been given any acceptable reason that property has been added to the exemptions of a felony animal cruelty bill.

Kay Simpson Jordan
Humane Society of Pulaski County
After much discussion, they reluctantly agreed to support the bill, citing that the good it can do outweighs the bad that could happen.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcrazy View Post
Blondie:::We actually have a deaf pitbull there.He is HUGE.All white with black freckles.Someone did a terrible crop on his ears and theyre backwards!He was trembling when he first came in,now he SCREAMS when he sees me.He walks GREAT on leash,hes a mush and he is already learning hand commands.But yanno people are still scared.If it was up to me id take em all.In my eyes theyre all adoptable.But i guess all we can do is make their time at the shelter good and hope they get a good home.
That is what my deaf Lyla is, a little white pitbull. She suffered horrible abuse before I took her off death row. Her tail is very thin and broken in like 12 places all the way down. I cannot touch it anywhere nor pick her up, she screams with pain. I hope that your deaf one gets a home....yikes...terrible what idiots do to animals. Lyla knows some hand signals too that I taught her.
Here are some pics of my Lyla!

Old 01-02-2009, 12:04 PM

2,794 posts, read 4,158,465 times
What a sick,evil peoce of crap. I sure hope he gets what's coming to him & SOON.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:53 PM

339 posts, read 1,263,092 times
Maybe we should start taking the punish the owner not the dog thing a little bit further:
If an owner is found that has dumped/abused/killed an animal, they should be euthanised instead of the dog.

Bring back the death penalty!

Oh, wait, you still have it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs