Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 11:02 AM

2 posts, read 19,912 times

Advertisements

My dog had kidney stones removed. Is the dog food the same as for bladder stones? I'm new to the site and may not be in the right area for questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 01:57 PM

2 posts, read 19,912 times
I would also like to add that they were oxolate stones. I just do not know which dog food to feed him. My vet sold me prescription u/d but it seems the ingreedients in royal canin s/o are better. HELP because now I am out of the u/d and the royal canin will take time to get so in the meantime I'm feeding him
Blue Wilderness grain free which is not for stones.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:40 AM

1 posts, read 9,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyg5309 View Post
Hi all, My 1 1/2 year old shih-tzu just had MAJOR surgery for bladder stones. She had 8 nights in ICU and she almost died. She passed two stones on Easter Sunday and I took her to the vet the next day. Our vet prescribed Royal Kanin Urinary SO, either in dry or canned form, because my girl doesn't like canned food. She is doing fine now but is on this stuff for life. She looks at me like I'm evil because I took away her rawhides and give her carrots and cheese for treats. Does anyone know if there are any treats acceptable for her condition? Both of her vets (LSU vet school and Bannfield) said she can only have low fat cheese, carrots and green beans. She can have Purina dental chews once a day, but that just isn't enough. I'm fine with the expensive dog food but there has to be something I can give her as a reward. We are willing to make our own beef jerkey, turkey jerky, chicken, whatever! We just want our happy dog back.
Thanks,
Jenny
Hi all.. My 6 year shih-tzu has bladder stones, she was put on royal canin urinary so wet and dry. I smelt it the dry and didn't think she would eat it, we have to put it out the nite before for the air to get to it before she eats it. She hates the smell. She loves her carrots and cheese. I have never been one to give her moist food as I was told this was not good for small dogs. Anyway I give her moist food in the morning and her dry sits there all day for her to pick at. For her treats we give her chicken strips these are 100% natural chews our brand in Canada is Chewmasters. We first picked up a sample bag in Nashville (I don't remember the brand name) and thank god we can get them in Canada now. We were told not to feed her the rawhides as this will mess up her system.

Old 10-15-2010, 03:52 PM

1,904 posts, read 3,987,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
You're kidding, right? Following your vet's instruction is the best? I use my own judgement when it comes to my dog and would never feed him the crap our vet suggested (Science Diet). That is one of the worst foods on the market, with so many fillers that he is bound to suffer in the long run. We are very happy feeding him a 5 star, grainless food and he is doing wonderfully on it. The prescription diets at vets offices are some of the worst food out there that will only make the dog's condition worse. Fillers are no good. These foods are all corn, soy, rice, etc. Use your own judgement when it comes to your dog and you won't have the health issues in the future. If vets truly cared for dogs, they wouldn't tell you to feed them crap with fillers and by-products. And in the future, check out www.dogfoodanalysis.com to see how your food rates. You don't want anything with a lower than 4 star rating (6 being highest).
So we shouldn't listen to our vets but we should trust information found on the internet or on forums?

In that case, since I shouldn't trust the canine oncologist - who studied at one of the best veterinary universities in the country - to treat my dog that has gastric lymphoma, please advise on the best method of treatment that you have found on the internet.

It is laughable that you assume that "vets don't truly care for dogs" on the grounds that they haven't surfed the internet for enough information on dog food.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:46 PM

1 posts, read 9,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyg5309 View Post
Hi all, My 1 1/2 year old shih-tzu just had MAJOR surgery for bladder stones. She had 8 nights in ICU and she almost died. She passed two stones on Easter Sunday and I took her to the vet the next day. Our vet prescribed Royal Kanin Urinary SO, either in dry or canned form, because my girl doesn't like canned food. She is doing fine now but is on this stuff for life. She looks at me like I'm evil because I took away her rawhides and give her carrots and cheese for treats. Does anyone know if there are any treats acceptable for her condition? Both of her vets (LSU vet school and Bannfield) said she can only have low fat cheese, carrots and green beans. She can have Purina dental chews once a day, but that just isn't enough. I'm fine with the expensive dog food but there has to be something I can give her as a reward. We are willing to make our own beef jerkey, turkey jerky, chicken, whatever! We just want our happy dog back.
Thanks,
Jenny
I am having the same problem.My 4yr old shih tzu is on royal canin too for bladder stones and vet said no treats. She said to try to trick her with the kibble as treats.I said yeah right...she is so smart and can't be tricked.I have been researching for treats for bladder stones and can't find anything.If you find something let me know. Thanks

Old 02-11-2011, 06:59 PM

1 posts, read 9,634 times
Smile Urinary SO

[FONT=Verdana]My female mini-schnauzer [rescue-dog] had a large bladder and kidney and ureter stones. Bladder stone app 3cm was surgically removed. Right kidney almost 95% consumed by struvite stone, left kidney over 50% consumed by struvite stone. Both right and left ureters had stones in them. Bladder/kidney infection [most likely cause although unknowable given mini-schnauzer breed susceptibility to stones] resolved with Baytril. Diagnosis of stones [thru sonogram and xrays] lead to immediate diet change to Urinary SO exclusively. One month into diet change revealed [thru sonogram and xray] identifiable reduction in size of stones. Two months into diet modification resulted in continued stone spontaneous reduction. I had her undergo ESWL [an externally administered sonic blasting - done at AMC in NYC] to break the remaining stones. Ureter stents were placed prior to the ESWL but after the ESWL xrays revealed stones completely dissolved and passed. I attribute the success of the ESWL to prior diet change to Urinary SO that both reduced the size of the stones and very probably weakened the structure of what remained [improving the effectivity of the ESWL]. While the cost may seem high it's a cost/benefit tradeoff. A BIG BUT - Urinary SO is a high fat product - mini-schnauzers can get pancreatitis attacks [serious complication]. My pooch has a high total cholesterol level however her triglycerides are normal. Other blood values are in the normal range. Overall, I think the cost is justified.[/FONT]

Old 02-16-2011, 12:18 PM

2 posts, read 19,097 times
Sounds like a lot of experts that have their opinion, I tend to believe a vet more than what appears to be by angry people. These animals trust us to make the right decision for their well being. I'll listen to my vet and feed my dog the crap they suggest.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:14 PM

455 posts, read 1,238,367 times
I had to used this stuff for one of my cats, although I was given Royal Canin wet food pouches in a box of 10. My cat had a PU operation so now he can eat any brand of cat food.

I have heard that raw food helps with these type of conditions, tbh if there isn't a website or store that stock it cheaper than your vet, I would stick with getting it from the vet.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:14 AM

2 posts, read 19,097 times
Our Lahso had bladder stones, oxolate formed by acid. She had to have surgery. Our Vet wants us to feed her SO14 dry food, suggested we can continue with her treats. We had been giving her one petite greenie and a couple "Lean Treats" a day. We also add a little water to her SO14. So far her urine tests show a deserable PH level.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:27 AM

718 posts, read 2,078,594 times
Let me tell you about my "holistic" vet. My yellow lab Tess suffered from digestive problems. She would expell bright red blood from her rectum, as if she had been cut with a knife. The dog was devastated as was I. Time after time, he would take blood tests, give her some meds, tell me to fee rice, etc. Her digestive track would calm down for a month or so and then right back to square one. Each time, a $250+ bill. I finally took her to my old Veterinary clinic and lo and behold she had to have a spleenectomy, and have a 4# necrotic tumor removed. Gladly, all tests resulted in the tumor and lymph nodes as benign. She has spring in her step, eating well and no more issues. So much, in my experience for holistic and if all they do is tell you what to feed your dog, so be it. My daughter's cat, with kidney issues had to be on Royal Canin for the rest of his life. He is a healthy cat and they feel it is worth what they have to pay for the food. I have moved away from my vet over 135 miles, but we still go back for check ups. A good vet is like a good doctor....worth their weight in gold. The committment we have to our pets is to take care of them...whatever way is necessary and I feel so guilty every time I look at my dog that I took her to someone who was not helping her one bit. And I was paying dearly for this non-help. So, holistic is not in my address book any longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs