Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 07:40 AM

1 posts, read 1,359 times

Advertisements

I have a two year old saint. He is not my first but he had definately given me a run for my money. He has gotten so bratty the last few months it is driving me crazy. He's become really territorial with random items in the house and you cannot take it from him (couch pillows, blankets, etc). He's been really snappy and aggresive lately. Do they go through pruberty around this age. He reminds me of a teenager...lol. Marley is neutered, and I was hoping that would help his temperment but it hasn't. I had another male who was not neutered several years ago and I do not remember him being this aggressive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 09:40 AM

1 posts, read 1,271 times
Can you tell me what NILF training is? I am dog sitting my daughter's 4 month old St. and she has the tendency to snap and growl when she gets in a certain mood. I don't know how to stop it. It is usually short lived, about 5 minutes top, but it's aggravating.....

Old 09-13-2010, 10:36 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,926,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethacct View Post
Can you tell me what NILF training is? I am dog sitting my daughter's 4 month old St. and she has the tendency to snap and growl when she gets in a certain mood. I don't know how to stop it. It is usually short lived, about 5 minutes top, but it's aggravating.....
You can google it NILIF is where the dog has to work for everything. It will hlep put you in charge. You need to let the dog know that you don't approve of bad behavior and reward for good behavior. Getting into some OB training will help also.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,033 times
hi i have recently got a two year old male st bernard from the neighbor a few miles down and besides all the rowdiness he seems to be normal. but one late evening we caught him down by the barn and what seemed to me he was acctacking our goat. he bit her leg and was tugg a waring with her because she was tied out on her leash at the time im not sure where this behavior came from so can you help me out???

Old 03-07-2014, 07:06 PM

1 posts, read 765 times
I have a 2 year old saint and he a boy when my friends come over he barks and I cant let them in the house with out him going for them and bitting them I don't know what to do my kids have friends over and he goes foe them I need HELP or I am going to have to find him a new home.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:14 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,444,939 times
If your dog is a biter, you cant rehome him w/o disclosing it to the new potential owner. What training have you done?, he sounds like a ticking time bomb. Would read some of the above posts re NILIF training and/or enroll w/ the dog in obedience and/or get a trainer, it really s/h been done when he was younger but he's still young and trainable, your vet may have leads for good trainers, something really needs to be done soon if he's really that aggressive, good luck.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:53 AM

17,154 posts, read 13,003,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukiko11 View Post
I have raised 3 st bernards in the last 35 years.
They can be very stubborn and very independent, but they are also one owner dogs. If you are the one she is attached to you must train her.
First of all St Bernards are not really trainable until they reach 2 years old. That is when their working instinct kicks in. They need to have a job and please you.
You must establish a "pleased" personality and a "not pleased" personality. The older they get, the more sensitive they will become to being reprimanded for not pleasing you.
One of the problems with Saints is that they are so big, but they think they are puppies. They like to launch themselves into your lap for a snuggle. Or if you play ball, they will run to you and slam their body into your legs.
Another problem is that you cannot hurt them so discipline goes unnoticed.
I used one main command on my Saint. I would hold out my hand with my palm in her face and say "down" to stop her from jumping on me. I would tell people entering my home to do that and she would behave. All other commands were done when she was on the leash.
For punishment, I first would try to use my "frowney voice" Nooooo ( She would know I wasn't pleased and would beg me for another chance to do it right. If she ignored me I would back up that command with a squirt of water on her muzzle (avoid her eyes). That really works. you only have to do it a couple of times and after that just showing her the squirt bottle is enough to back up the command. Another form is discipline is to twist her lip, look her in the eye and say "what?
Saints are the most loyal dogs I have ever come across, but they like calm and order in their home.
If you argue with your spouse, your saint will probably come between you or try to pull you out of the situation. If your children cry, she will become very distressed. She may be reacting to the other dogs because they are too excited and she is trying to bring calm to the situation. Or, because she is a one owner dog, she may show jealousy when she has to share you with another dog. I also had two other dogs plus my saint and I put their food out so when they were eating the were facing back to back in a triangle.
There is nothing better than having a Saint around when you just need to have a good cry and a hug. They are very empathetic and will do anything they can to comfort you.
I envy you, I my last saint died of old age in September and I truly miss her, but I am too old to take on another one. Please enjoy your little girl while you have her, they don't have a long life span.
Sorry, but I'm not buying a lot of what you're selling. Although I haven't had St. Bernards, I have had Great Danes, also a giant working breed, over 20 years now. I have also had Great Pyrenees. Any dog can be trained at any age. As a matter of fact, the younger they are, the easier it is to train them, because negative behavior patterns are less ingrained. Of course you can hurt giant dogs, both physically and emotionally. That's why remaining loving and caring throughout the training process is so important. Lastly, any owner of any pet should enjoy their animals while they have them. We don't know how long any of them will live, whether they are Chihuahuas or Irish Wolfhounds. Automatically assuming they will die early because they are giant dogs does a great disservice to our breeds, and is a common reason people opt for others. That is unfortunate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs