Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 02:22 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,704,020 times

Advertisements

We do give a can of Alpo at night with dry food. I like the California Natural but the petfood analaysis website that somebody posted is really good so you can real labels
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 04:18 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,580,961 times
Just spoke with the manager at the shelter from where we adopted Brandi. She is also a trainer and liked the idea of offering a small treat for using the 'come' command or cue. She boils chicken, cuts it up in very small bites, puts some into a sandwich bag and then uses this a a 'reward' for the 'come' command. Along with almost 'over praising' the pup/dog for responding. Positive as opposed to negative. She suggested using whatever treat I use for the 'come' command be used only for this. Other treats for other occasions.

Bad news is my Brandi has Demodex puppy mange. I did much research for this when I came home from the vet. He treated here and we will go back 2 additional times, one in two weeks and then two weeks after that. Brandi has a spot the size of a quarter and the other a very thin 1 in. line along a front leg. I called the shelter and the manager said the same thing that the vet told me...stress can bring this on.

Brandi's history shows this. She was brought to the shelter along with her litter mates, then adopted out and brought back because: 'she just didn't work out'. I am so saddened by this. I can now understand some of her behavior in a better way. She wont let me out of her sight! Well, enough of this on the food thread. Just had to share some of this with all of your helpful people. And thank you so very much for the great suggestions. We are working on it and doing better. Thanks again.

Old 02-13-2009, 02:04 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,219,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerowyn View Post
I never feed raw meats or bones to my dogs. It can provoke some food agression in dogs and not always a healthy choice. I figure if I wouldn't eat then they shouldn't eat it.
I'm sorry but where in the world do you get your information on food aggression??? Please share!

What causes aggression in dogs is the fact that they are pack animals and are often after that "alpha" position within the pack.

Besides you are a human and your dog is a carnivore, why should he/she eat like you do???

Old 02-13-2009, 02:49 PM

947 posts, read 3,410,567 times
food aggression can come out with raw foods just as it can come out with other foods,... any food that dog finds to be "his" and is unhealthily possessive about it may create problems. The same may occur over a toy, (and other things) go to take it away and get hand bit or another dog get bit. The object is not the instigator but in fact is the dog that is. It's already in the dogs' personality/behavior and if it's negative-than it, the behavior, needs to be addressed regardless of a toy, bed, leash food... etc.

I agree that it does have to do with dog trying to acquire the dominant "alpha" dog position, which does create these problems.

As far as food dogs eat... yes they should, "eat like us" to some degree. They are carnivores so they need meat. They would appreciate fresh chicken etc instead of just dry food all the time. I do not consider these types of fresh foods, foods that you may prepare at home, cooked chicken cooked veggies, just treats, but moreso that it is so healthy for them and vital to their future health, energy, and longevity that it such be considered and incorporated as part of their diet.

I would feed canned quality foods every day! I would feed without dry foods but if you are going to feed dry, then add canned to it!

Old 02-15-2009, 09:14 AM

1,691 posts, read 3,852,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamChasers8 View Post
I'm sorry but where in the world do you get your information on food aggression??? Please share!

What causes aggression in dogs is the fact that they are pack animals and are often after that "alpha" position within the pack.

Besides you are a human and your dog is a carnivore, why should he/she eat like you do???
depending on the breed raw bones or food can stimulate food aggression or a wolf pack attitude. Plus I had forgot to add about the health risks that can be invulved. It is something I have known all my life since childhood. We just never did that in our family pets. No chicken bones or any bones that can splinter off either. I will give my dogs cooked bones, cook them myself and the broth I use in thier food.

BTW I am a carnivore (omnivore) as well. My pups don't actually eat like I eat. I check with my vet make, read labels and get food I prefer my pups to eat. If I don't eat meat raw for health reasons.....

Not eveyone will feed their pet the same way. just a different way of thinking. Mine is no better or worse then the rest. My pets live very long happy healthy lives. I am sure your do as well.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:23 AM

1,691 posts, read 3,852,716 times
Lightbulb Oh yes I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by need4Trees View Post
food aggression can come out with raw foods just as it can come out with other foods,... any food that dog finds to be "his" and is unhealthily possessive about it may create problems. The same may occur over a toy, (and other things) go to take it away and get hand bit or another dog get bit. The object is not the instigator but in fact is the dog that is. It's already in the dogs' personality/behavior and if it's negative-than it, the behavior, needs to be addressed regardless of a toy, bed, leash food... etc.

I agree that it does have to do with dog trying to acquire the dominant "alpha" dog position, which does create these problems.

As far as food dogs eat... yes they should, "eat like us" to some degree. They are carnivores so they need meat. They would appreciate fresh chicken etc instead of just dry food all the time. I do not consider these types of fresh foods, foods that you may prepare at home, cooked chicken cooked veggies, just treats, but moreso that it is so healthy for them and vital to their future health, energy, and longevity that it such be considered and incorporated as part of their diet.

I would feed canned quality foods every day! I would feed without dry foods but if you are going to feed dry, then add canned to it!
I believe many things can bring out agression in dogs. Yet depending on the breed or mixing on breed in my case a few of my dogs secretely had wolf in family history (special rescues). I had to be extra cautious with triggers. Its not so much causing an agreesion for the food as it can create a over dominance of the owner as well. But good handling training and relationship will compinsate for that.

Feeding canned or moist food all the time is great esp fresh, but not always an option for eveyone so I could add to your idea that if that is a choice on would make then look into a tooth brush for the pooch or other teeth cleaning options. Some work some wont. Tooth brush best option in my book for everyone but not everyone can do it.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:06 PM

Yes, brushing doggies teeth is a great thing!!!

I do disagree with you as far as raw goes... but I guess this was not the OP topic, to feed raw or not.
But just to say that I am not for it neither am I against raw feeding. I think some dogs (and cats) may do great on it and prefer it either for an occasional meal or a treat but I do know that some also do not do well on raw and would not be good for them, for their health.

If bones are given, which are also a great tool to help clean the teeth and exercise mouth...It should be raw as Any cooked bones could splinter much easier than raw bones and be a big risk to doggie. Or you could dunk in boiling water for just a couple of minutes. Anyway if giving raw bones at all and if feeding fresh meat, I always get non antibiotic, chemical free and organic chicken etc so if I do give a bone or anything raw the risk for salmonella is less.

With that said, Everyone does have their opinion/ideas and what they feel in their hearts to be the right thing to do for our 4 legged loved ones, I know I certainly do!

To the OP, I guess this may seem like a overwhelming amount of info that some of which is contradicting it self, but I hope you do some research for yourself and find what will work for you and your doggie(s)!!! I have read lots of books and talked with Holistic vets and made my decision based on trying things and finding out what works well for my babes!

Old 02-15-2009, 09:33 PM

59 posts, read 325,681 times
Default Picky eaters

I work at a vet hospital so I do have experience with this issue!
Question- is there a reason you switched her off the Beneful in the first place? Any food switch can cause digestive tract upset, so make sure any change is a gradual one. It may just be a matter of finding a dry food your dog likes. I always tell clients there is no "best" food, just food your dog likes and thrives on! (Holistic food cheerleaders will tell you differently, but dogs do just fine on actual dog food.) I do think that once you start the canned food you are creating a monster!!
One side note- NEVER feed according to the manufacturers directions!! They want your dog to eat more so they can sell more food. Your vet can tell you how much your dog should eat according to his/her ideal weight, age, and activity level. Hope this helps!
PS- my dog is a healthy 14 years old and has been eating Purina (GASP!) all his life.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:51 PM

Why would wet/canned food create a monster...? What do you mean?

Honestly it is more like what they would eat in wild, their instinct, to go for the intestines.
Dry, kibble foods are far from anything that they would naturally eat.

Although, Some dry foods are great, (compared to other dry foods) but it is not IMO what would be the best choice and not what I would feed my "kids"

I just do not see that feeding canned healthy foods would be spoiling them or creating a problem.

OP...
are you able to get your doggie to eat better, is she eating on a regular basis now? How is it going? Your doggie know that she is loved!!!

Old 02-15-2009, 09:56 PM

59 posts, read 325,681 times
The "monster" I am referring to is creating a need for canned food when there isn't one- this can create expense and dry food is needed to help the dog's teeth. Dry food alone should be sufficient. Giving the dog canned food could create an aversion to everything but canned food- obviously this is already happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs