Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 08:43 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,383,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
...take the entire family to the shelter you may find just the right dog.
The kids will be more connected with the dog if they help pick it out. You have the perfect place to find a pet: Greek Animal Rescue Home Page
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 10:32 PM

275 posts, read 469,957 times
are you sure none of your kids are allergic? you may want to borrow a family member's or neighbor's dog before you take a fluff ball home with you just to be sure. someone in my town just got a dog, has only one child, and after getting this dog, finds out her son is allergic and now is looking to give the dog up. no one wants their children to get attached to something and then have to give it up. good luck!

Old 02-19-2009, 09:07 AM

1,691 posts, read 3,851,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
That wouldn't be a bad quiz except they don't ask about children and their ages
true but reading through the complete description of the breeds offered give you a better understanding.
It isn't a breed that is good or not good with children but the dog (breeding) itself. I have noted in my own dogs in the past which ones were great with kids and which weren't... normally it is in the experince of the dog if they like or don't like kids. One GSD I had hated any kid that wasn't family and she knew who family was even on first meeting. It was her experience, to our shock, that a nasty neighbor kid would climb into our yard and chase her with a stick and try to beat her. Until I caught the little bugger and scared the life out of him.
Normally all dogs that are great with other dogs are good with children.
other link ideas could be used
Best Dog Breeds For Children
American Kennel Club - Future Dog Owners
Pedigree | All Things Dog | Select-A-Dog (http://www.pedigree.com/02All%20Things%20Dog/Select%20A%20Dog/Default.aspx - broken link)
this last one includes many questions even cost of weekly feeding, children and a few other I was interested in seeing. Came up with some interesting dogs for my parents.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:16 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,697,958 times
the Bichon is great, however, maybe an older dog say 3 years is best. The Bichon does need mega
grooming, even a Boston terrier, or the all american dog a mutt!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs