Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 01:57 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,561,001 times

Advertisements

Just had a conversation about that at dog training this weekend
Member of our team had a dog that would come over and poo on his shrubs and kill them.
Red paint gun. Owner probably freaked when the dog came back, never saw the dog again.

I agree, I have an intact male dog and he is so used to NOT being allowed to potty while on lead, it can sometimes be a challenge when we are traveling and I would certainly never think of letting any of my dogs run loose or go on someone's yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 01:59 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,441,838 times
I feel your pain. At least you have neighbors that are walking their dogs. My neighbors leave their dogs out unsupervised 24/7. They come over and crap all over our yard, dig up anything I plant, etc. But I live in the country. Not only are there not any dog laws, but if you call and complain the local agency will tell you to shoot the dog if it comes one your property because that's allowed. Oh, yeh, that's gonna solve the problem of having irresponsible pet owners for neighbors. They'll just go get a couple more and toss them outside.

Short of fencing your own yard or calling the local officials in charge of it, I really don't know what to tell you other than I'm sorry you've got neighbors who could care less about the safety of their pets.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:37 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,083,355 times
Oh man, we have some of these idiots in the complex where I live. All winter it's 'no one wants to pick up the poop' game.

We have people who live in the apartments in the back bring their dogs to OUR side to pee or poop and leave it.
We have people with huge dogs--huskies, big labs, and so on who do elephant sized poop and leave it!
The other one I hate is letting their dogs 'free run'. The 2 dog rules of this complex are 1) leash your dog at all times and 2) pick up your dog feces.

Today I was walking my dog and someone could barely put on her dog's leash when she saw us....a big, fat yellow lab who needs major exercise....
It's not what I want to deal with at 8 am on a Sunday...
Fortunately I have my dog on a leash and got her inside before any nonsense started.

This is what I want the people around me to hear:
Leash and curb your dog. Maintain control...face it, you are not 'cool' because you let it roam around a busy complex.
When your dog gets run over, I will cry for the dog...though it will be your fault...

Finally...people who live in apartments and do not follow the pet rules---NOW do you know WHY no one wants to rent to 'pet owners?' You give us all a bad, bad name.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:44 PM

948 posts, read 3,358,445 times
Default 5 horses

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post
I love looking at nice gardens... and wish I had one, but my "talents" (such as they are! ) lie elsewhere. Indeed, it is unfair, and I am like you - there's nothing more annoying that being forced into a confrontational position when just a bit of common sense would have stopped the problem arising in the first place.

Pesticide signs... an innovative approach!

I guess another sign alternative might be a copy of your area's city/town ordinance citing the leash law as a reminder...
Appreciate the last idea. I may actually try that one. I laminated my last one so the pee wouldn't ruin it.

Thanks

btw--do u really have 5 horses?

Old 02-22-2009, 05:47 PM

948 posts, read 3,358,445 times
Default Wouldn't trade ya shoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
I feel your pain. At least you have neighbors that are walking their dogs. My neighbors leave their dogs out unsupervised 24/7. They come over and crap all over our yard, dig up anything I plant, etc. But I live in the country. Not only are there not any dog laws, but if you call and complain the local agency will tell you to shoot the dog if it comes one your property because that's allowed. Oh, yeh, that's gonna solve the problem of having irresponsible pet owners for neighbors. They'll just go get a couple more and toss them outside.

Short of fencing your own yard or calling the local officials in charge of it, I really don't know what to tell you other than I'm sorry you've got neighbors who could care less about the safety of their pets.
______

You must really live in the sticks. I don't know that I could see taking out my rage on the animal. The owner...hmmm. The dog, nah.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:41 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,689,355 times
we moved from our home that had a great big fenced in backyard to a rental home 2k miles away that has no fenced yard...so walking the Labs to do their thing is now routine....they pee or poop on the grass near the sidewalk and we are always there with our plastic bags...For the record I would much rather pick it up in the snow/winter than summer....
When we first moved here I took one of the big kids for a walk...no bag...she of course decided she had to go ... and the neighbors were out (was on the far side of the sidewalk but in front of their house)...I thought I would die...They laughed and said no big deal they have dogs and know what it's like to get caught with no bag. I asked if they would hold my dog while I ran home and got one....that made them laugh even more...the wife did finally get me a bag and I picked it up...however, in the time spent there talking...my Rosie made great new friends
Now, on the other hand our home is very backset on our lot....and a CERTAIN neighbor lets her dog crap near the end of the yard...

Old 02-22-2009, 07:19 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,151,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatergirl View Post

btw--do u really have 5 horses?
- Doesn't everybody??!! . (But yes, I really do.)

Good luck with your signs and a lovely garden

Old 02-22-2009, 09:24 PM

414 posts, read 1,010,625 times
Yea...it would bother me if people let their dogs run loose and do whatever in my yard...trampling flowers/pooping or whatever.

My personal issue is poop on sidewalks...eew...no thanks!

I have only had one issue with a homeowner and that was when I was in high school. I wasn't letting my dog walk clear in the yard, but close by the sidewalk. So he took a pee. Sorry, IMO a dog has to pee sometime...never on flowers etc...I wouldn't allow that, but I personally believe a spot of grass is ok. (sorry if you don't agree) Mind you, my dog is 8 lbs on a heavy day, so his pee isn't going to brown the grass if he goes there once. The older man came out and yelled at me. And I mean full out screaming and even swearing at me and my dog. He told me he was going to call the police. I replied "For WHAT? I can't bag my dog's pee!" He said "I saw him s**t. He s**t in my yard. I responded "WHERE? Look, there is no poop, he just peed!!!" I walked home and told my parents what had happened and was just horrified someone could be that mean about a dog going pee. So, I went over to the house, knocked on the door (and was very polite) and apologized. The man said something like "I don't want to hear this...just go home, I don't want you hear." I just started crying a bit again, b/c of his sheer rude nature. Then he told me "Oh just stop that, why are you acting like this?" And I said "B/c I've never had a person your age speak to me like this before. My grandparents would never talk to someone like that, and would be horrified if they knew someone their age was talking to their granddaughter like this!" Finally, his wife came over and told him to go away. She then apologized to me and told me he was just an "old crabapple" lol.

So, as a dog owner AND someone who has been confronted by homeowners in a way that was very hurtful...the poop is another issue! I hate seeing poop on the sidewalk or something! But when it comes to peeing, please don't flip if a dog pees in a part of your yard where it's not going to hurt anything. If it's a one time thing, your grass will be ok. I would just hate for someone to have an experience like me...it didn't "teach" me anything and I'm not about to bag my dogs urine. I would just have hated for what happened to me, happen again. Especially in small towns...most teens don't have a clue about leash laws etc...and I know in my town at least the laws are a lot more leniant, if they even exist at all. It's just different (usually) than in the burbs or city.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:25 PM
c99

237 posts, read 1,043,013 times
Oh, I feel your pain. It's hard to believe how rude and completely clueless some people are. Not much I dislike more than inconsiderate dog owners ... anywhere. And I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE dogs. Just not a lot of dog owners. Bad dog owners ruin it for the rest of us.

Currently, people living in my neighborhood have found my front lawn a convenient place to allow their dogs to poo and not pick it up. I have a young child and we (used to) frequently play on our very small front lawn. I wish I would catch the perpetrators because I would definitely say something to them about it.

When we bought our last house, our neighbor quickly informed us that the previous owners of the house we purchased used to love to play with her two dogs on their (our new) front lawn. I don't think I said much other than, "oh" and that it would cause my three large dogs to bark a lot, as they don't care for other dogs trespassing on 'their' property. Every once in a while her dogs would wander into our yard. One time she playing Frisbee with her dogs in our yard when I came home from shopping. It was so annoying - if she liked that yard so much better she should have purchased that house. Finally, I said something yet again and she stayed away. Needless to say, we weren't friends.

Here's an idea ... what about having your sprinkler system set to conveniently turn on just before the offenders start to trespass? If you don't have a sprinkler system, you could have a regular sprinkler attached to a hose.

I hope you find a good solution. That situation would just get my goat.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:45 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,198,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatergirl View Post
I just bought a home and have already started on bad terms with a dog owner who I guess lives in my neighborhood. I was waiting in the car for my husband. My son was on the sidewalk waiting and a guy walks by with his dog and wife and says something to my son and then throws his bag of dog poop in my garbage can. I got out and told him he shoudnt' have done that as garbage day is days away. He told me my son said it was okay. My son is 8!!

He proceeded to walk with his dog and wife where the dog ran all over the neighbor's yard and pee'd many times.
I would have replied "Liar liar pants on fire!" That's pretty low to lie like that. A simple sorry and saying he won't do it again would have sufficed. And his wife went along with his lie, so that's a disappointment also.

I'd have found out where he lived. And periodically, I would deposit a paper bag of his dog's poo on their front steps. Especially on a hot summer's night.

You should find out if your town has a leash law. But fences make for the best neighbors. If you are really unhappy about dogs pooing and pissing on your lawn, the best thing to do is enclose your yard completely.

I have a long driveway, and I used to find dog poo at the end of it. Some of the poo belonged to a fat lady and her fat dog that would walk the neighborhood. Once, my boyfriend saw her dog poo on a neighbor's lawn and watched as she pretended to pick up the poo. I haven't see her around for about a year now. I guess that she moved. But I have neighbors with little poodles and from a distance, I've seen her walk her dogs around the end of my driveway for a few minutes. It's an unpaved driveway, and some people think that it's an undeveloped public lane. Anyway, eventually I met her on the street and during our conversations about our dogs, let her know that it's my driveway. I haven't found poo at the end of it for a while now.

I always pick up my dogs poo. But I sadly not every dog owner does. Across from my house is a triangular area where I see several neighbors walk their dogs to. There is always old poo on the grass. I never let my dogs walk there. It's just too dirty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs