Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 11:46 PM

459 posts, read 805,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I would have replied "Liar liar pants on fire!" That's pretty low to lie like that. A simple sorry and saying he won't do it again would have sufficed. And his wife went along with his lie, so that's a disappointment also.

I'd have found out where he lived. And periodically, I would deposit a paper bag of his dog's poo on their front steps. Especially on a hot summer's night.

You should find out if your town has a leash law. But fences make for the best neighbors. If you are really unhappy about dogs pooing and pissing on your lawn, the best thing to do is enclose your yard completely.

I have a long driveway, and I used to find dog poo at the end of it. Some of the poo belonged to a fat lady and her fat dog that would walk the neighborhood. Once, my boyfriend saw her dog poo on a neighbor's lawn and watched as she pretended to pick up the poo. I haven't see her around for about a year now. I guess that she moved. But I have neighbors with little poodles and from a distance, I've seen her walk her dogs around the end of my driveway for a few minutes. It's an unpaved driveway, and some people think that it's an undeveloped public lane. Anyway, eventually I met her on the street and during our conversations about our dogs, let her know that it's my driveway. I haven't found poo at the end of it for a while now.

I always pick up my dogs poo. But I sadly not every dog owner does. Across from my house is a triangular area where I see several neighbors walk their dogs to. There is always old poo on the grass. I never let my dogs walk there. It's just too dirty.
People in Hawaii pretend to pick up their dogs crap all the time. It annoys the hell out of me. and I hate when people let their dogs pee on my grass, because the dog will pee in the same spot everyday and that kills that area of the grass. So I have a beautiful lawn with a patch of dead grass. Some people just have no idea of what goes on outside of their bubble and are clueless of others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 04:57 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,599,150 times
Lets face it the dog owners that you are talking about are the same people that let their kids run wild. My mom always had nice flower gardens and there were parents that would walk with little boys. The little boys had sticks and would swing them and end up chopping down plants if they did not have sticks it was karate type kicks or chops with the hands that destroyed any plants they passed. The parents would do nothing to control the boys.

I live in Condos and have large flower pots outside my front doors and my ex neighbors kids would come break the flowers off and let them fall to the ground and if the parents were out with them they never stopped them from doing it.

These are also the same people that on the 4th of July set off fireworks that give the Disneyland firework show a run for its money. Yet they are doing it in a neighborhood in So calif where someone could get injured, or even killed or a neighbors house could catch fire and where the trash from the fire works rains down in everyones yards and into al the pools. Oh yes and where it is very illegal. Yet they do it every year and the show lasts a good 30-45 minutes.

Or these are the same people that buy fast food then dump the trash on the road or in a parking lot and leave beer bottle caps laying on the ground where kids or dogs will step on them and cut their feet. The list goes on as to what these same people do so maybe when you stop and think of the things like the illegal fireworks and the risk to the neighborhood the inconsiderate nature of these people when they also own a dog will not seem quite as bad?

Lets face it there are a lot of inconsiderate rude people out there that only think of themselves and yes some of them do own dogs and sadder yet some of them do reproduce so add even more inconsiderate people to add to the problem.

I have to admit it does amaze me that people seem to like to pick out just the dog issue to complain about when the picture is so much bigger then that.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:19 AM

1,629 posts, read 3,479,261 times
You said you have a leash law - here, a violation is $250. What's to keep you from reporting them?

Even if they are on leash, if the owner allows the dogs to "go" on your lawn, maybe that could be considered littering? Another violation.

I think certain areas develop their own "dog culture" - some areas are filled with responsible, courteous owners, others seem filled with obnoxious and oblivious owners. It only takes one person to start the downward spiral.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:04 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,445,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Lets face it the dog owners that you are talking about are the same people that let their kids run wild. My mom always had nice flower gardens and there were parents that would walk with little boys. The little boys had sticks and would swing them and end up chopping down plants if they did not have sticks it was karate type kicks or chops with the hands that destroyed any plants they passed. The parents would do nothing to control the boys.

I live in Condos and have large flower pots outside my front doors and my ex neighbors kids would come break the flowers off and let them fall to the ground and if the parents were out with them they never stopped them from doing it.

These are also the same people that on the 4th of July set off fireworks that give the Disneyland firework show a run for its money. Yet they are doing it in a neighborhood in So calif where someone could get injured, or even killed or a neighbors house could catch fire and where the trash from the fire works rains down in everyones yards and into al the pools. Oh yes and where it is very illegal. Yet they do it every year and the show lasts a good 30-45 minutes.

Or these are the same people that buy fast food then dump the trash on the road or in a parking lot and leave beer bottle caps laying on the ground where kids or dogs will step on them and cut their feet. The list goes on as to what these same people do so maybe when you stop and think of the things like the illegal fireworks and the risk to the neighborhood the inconsiderate nature of these people when they also own a dog will not seem quite as bad?

Lets face it there are a lot of inconsiderate rude people out there that only think of themselves and yes some of them do own dogs and sadder yet some of them do reproduce so add even more inconsiderate people to add to the problem.

I have to admit it does amaze me that people seem to like to pick out just the dog issue to complain about when the picture is so much bigger then that.
No use in my typing....You nailed it EXACTLY! AND, I'm always amazed just how many of these people there are in this world! Doesn't matter what kind of neighborhood, rich...poor...middleclass...they live in ALL neighborhoods.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:19 AM

371 posts, read 938,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lana C View Post
I understand completely! I leash my dogs for walks on my two acrea lawn. I also have a little fenced in area off my porch so I can let them out to do their business quickly. I clean up after my dogs EVERY time they poop. My neighbor lets his dog out loose at night thinking I don't know it's his dog pooping on the other side of my fence and all over the two acreas which I mow...so I step in it when I don't see it, and have to clean it on the outside of my dog fence which makes my dogs nuts with sniffing and barking because a dog has been lifting his leg on the fence and pooping outside of it and on my sidewalk. It's a trademark that I know exactly who did it. I've told the neighbors about it (my friends) and it stops for a while but it just started up again...grrrr!!!!

I would pick it up and fling it back over the fence...But that's just me...
Assuming a chat did not work that is...

Old 02-23-2009, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post
I love looking at nice gardens... and wish I had one, but my "talents" (such as they are! ) lie elsewhere. Indeed, it is unfair, and I am like you - there's nothing more annoying that being forced into a confrontational position when just a bit of common sense would have stopped the problem arising in the first place.

Pesticide signs... an innovative approach!

I guess another sign alternative might be a copy of your area's city/town ordinance citing the leash law as a reminder...

My g/f was telling me of some company that makes sprinklers that detect motion and activate for a few seconds to keep animals away...If it's not winter and no danger of freezing the pipes I would look into them...Adjust to NOT hit the sidewalk just the lawn...Sit back and watch and laugh...

Old 02-23-2009, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
Just had a conversation about that at dog training this weekend
Member of our team had a dog that would come over and poo on his shrubs and kill them.
Red paint gun. Owner probably freaked when the dog came back, never saw the dog again.

I agree, I have an intact male dog and he is so used to NOT being allowed to potty while on lead, it can sometimes be a challenge when we are traveling and I would certainly never think of letting any of my dogs run loose or go on someone's yard.
I LOVE it!!! lmao!!!
Stung like hell too I bet...

Old 02-23-2009, 11:07 AM

948 posts, read 3,358,658 times
Default You're comparing totally different issues

I'm not going to delve into your other complaint--perhaps there's another place to post that concern. The specific post I have here relates to the destruction that pet owners let happen with their dog's misbehavior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post

Old 02-23-2009, 11:14 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,017,002 times
I'm an avid dog lover but I agree, common courtesy is what's needed. I think the same thing with cats b'c in my neighborhood, they run wild as they please, pee in your flowerbeds, spray your lawn furniture, etc. I wish more pet owners were responsible ones.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:34 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,319,948 times
I always feel sympathy for people like the OP. She has every right to not have dogs poop in her yard or tromp through her flowers or pee on her bushes. And yeah...a dog owner has no business throwing his dog's poop in someone else's waste-bin. (Although at least the fellow picked up the poop, so credit to him on that score.) I do think that there's a basic lack of etiquette when it comes to people and their dogs...and strangers/neighbors. Unfortunately, I think the lack of consideration is just something that's become pervasive in society in general these days. It's the same as people who come up to red-lights with their windows rolled down and radios blaring...or folks who cuss out-loud in restaurants and other public places...or folks who cut in line...or folks who let their kids talk or act up at the movies. We've become increasingly uncivil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs