Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 01:20 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,287,655 times

Advertisements

To be honest, since we moved to San Diego, I have not seen one wild animal besides birds. No squirrels, no racoons, nothing. We had all that back East but not here. We were wondering the other day if squirrels even live here since we never see them. And deer, I don't think I will ever see another one. I saw plenty back in NJ, both dead on the highway after being hit, and in the backyard. But here, they are nonexistent.

And, since he's vaccinated for everything except rabies, it really doesn't matter if a contagious dog was at the park before us, unless they are carrying rabies. He has all the other vaccines and people seem to think they are so wonderful and protect the pet, so I shouldn't worry about that, right? (that's a hypothetical question, since I question the validity of vaccines and believe even vaccinated pets are at risk, as it has been prove here with the parvo outbreak). Maybe we should just keep our pets inside the house all day and not let them out. We wouldn't want them to come in contact with potentially hazardous diseases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 01:34 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,415,243 times
No...just playing the devils advocate. And no, I don't believe we should keep our pets indoors, I do believe we should protect them, that's all. Guess we should agree to disagree how one goes about that.
Also....I lived in SD for years, and my son still does. FYI...they did and still do have plenty of wild animals in the areas. Including some of the big cats ie Mountain Lions...add coyotes, raccoon and skunk are just a few. And yes, lots of deer too. Also, was born and raised in NJ...LOTS of deer there too!

Old 02-23-2009, 01:45 PM

Hmm...I guess since we're in La Jolla, we don't see coyotes or mountain lions, since they don't seem to like the beach. I can see how areas like Escondido would have them, but I think we're pretty safe in La Jolla. We see the seals on a daily basis, and the occasional shark, but that's the extent of wild animals in this part of SD.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Hmm...I guess since we're in La Jolla, we don't see coyotes or mountain lions, since they don't seem to like the beach. I can see how areas like Escondido would have them, but I think we're pretty safe in La Jolla. We see the seals on a daily basis, and the occasional shark, but that's the extent of wild animals in this part of SD.
Not so! Spend some time up in the hills around Scripps! Use to ride my bike up there all the time, as we had friends who lived right there. Love LaJolla...hoping to get back to that area someday soon!

Old 02-23-2009, 02:03 PM

To thegirlinaz, I am so sorry...I just realized we stepped all over your thread...my apologies! Hopefully, you've gotten your ans. on the Rabies vac!

Old 02-23-2009, 02:13 PM

57 posts, read 101,220 times
Like everywhere else, bats seem to be the major carrier of rabies in California. You don't see them very often, but when you do they are usually "out of order" and should be considered extremely suspect. Don't touch them.

You still have to obey the law. Californai dept of health has a very good information page with links to just about everything about rabies.

Rabies

You may be safe or 'pretty safe' from rabies, but you are not so safe from the law and should your dog happen to bite anyone they could possibly have to go through the treatment for "after exposure" to rabies. Or your dog would have to be quarantined and observed for ten days. The authorities try to make that as painful as possible. The last time I heard, the treatment cost close to ten thousand. You would be liable for that.

If it is any consolation the vaccines have improved somewhat. I have never had an adverse reaction in any of my dogs and I do watch them closely. They now grow the vaccine in mediums that are not as likely to cause adverse reactions. I'm hoping they can prove the vaccines are good for the dog's lifetime.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylor View Post
. I'm hoping they can prove the vaccines are good for the dog's lifetime.
They can prove it, but are not allowed to because there is no economic incentive to do so.

"But some veterinary immunologists believe the rabies vaccine confers a duration of immunity that exceeds three years - in fact, as much as five or seven years. Problem is, there have been no clinical trials - in which dogs are vaccinated and then exposed to the disease - to prove that. And vaccine companies, which normally conduct the trials, have a strong economic incentive not to. After all, how much sense does it make to spend a ton of money to be told consumers need less of your product than you are selling?"

Another key point from the article:

"Dodds has lectured endlessly on adverse reactions associated with the rabies vaccine. They include autoimmune diseases of the thyroid, joints, blood, eyes, skin, kidney, liver, bowel and central nervous system; anaphylactic shock; aggression; seizures; epilepsy; and fibrosarcomas at injection sites, especially in cats."

"For his part, Schultz has performed serological studies that documented rabies antibody titer counts at levels known to confer immunity seven years after vaccination."

Newsday Article

I am not arguing against the rabies vaccine. He will get it when he's a bit older. I am arguing against re-vaccinating every three years because I firmly believe it is unnecessary, though I doubt we will ever be able to fight that, as you can see in this article.

Old 02-23-2009, 03:33 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,294,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
To thegirlinaz, I am so sorry...I just realized we stepped all over your thread...my apologies! Hopefully, you've gotten your ans. on the Rabies vac!

Haha it's fine. I got what I wanted to know, thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs