Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2009, 07:32 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,938,415 times

Advertisements

I have heard that hard dog food is not especially nutritious for dogs. Is there any of you out there that can recommend regular human food that is nutritious and won't cause worms or obesity?

I don't want to purchase canned food because of the recent debacle with pets dying.

I'm just looking for good suggestions about healthy, nutritious alternatives. I want this little rabble-rouser of ours to live a long, healthy, happy life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 07:52 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,188,779 times
I know what you mean. We were at Petsmart last weekend shopping for our next 40lb bag for the pups , and asked the sales rep what was with all the by-products in these foods. He said what we already knew, most foods have bird beaks and feet and other unmentionables.

We went with Eukanuba.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:56 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,431,300 times
There's many premium dog foods out there, look for ones w/o corn, soy, wheat, by-products, preservatives etc. You can also do home cooking but it needs to be balanced for the best nutrition for your dog. Personally, we use dry and we're (um, my dogs <G>) are happy with it and are doing well. Overfeeding will cause obesity so you need to gauge whatever your feeding your little guy w/ that in mind - energetic, younger dogs require more than an older, more sedate dog - every once in a while their diets may need tweaking, if they're packing on the pounds or looking thin. Worming s/b done every yr +/-, if your dog is going to areas that are often frequented by other dogs, it may be a good idea to take in a fecal sample to the vet occasionally, esp. if his poop isnt solid or firm etc. Hope some of this helps!

Old 02-24-2009, 07:57 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,938,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
There's many premium dog foods out there, look for ones w/o corn, soy, wheat, by-products, preservatives etc. You can also do home cooking but it needs to be balanced for the best nutrition for your dog. Personally, we use dry and we're (um, my dogs <G>) are happy with it and are doing well. Overfeeding will cause obesity so you need to gauge whatever your feeding your little guy w/ that in mind - energetic, younger dogs require more than an older, more sedate dog - every once in a while their diets may need tweaking, if they're packing on the pounds or looking thin. Worming s/b done every yr +/-, if your dog is going to areas that are often frequented by other dogs, it may be a good idea to take in a fecal sample to the vet occasionally, esp. if his poop isnt solid or firm etc. Hope some of this helps!
Thanks!

Old 02-24-2009, 09:01 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,296,444 times
There are plenty of companies that make healthy kibble. For the exception of Wellness, you won't find any other at the mass pet stores. Stay away from brands like Iams, Eukanuba, Science Diet, Royal Canin, Purina, etc. Consider brands like Fromm, Taste of the Wild, Evo, Orijen, Merrick. You will find these at a local pet store and you will see a huge difference in your pet's coat/behavior after as little as two weeks on a good quality food.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:06 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,683,243 times
Way to go!

Here's a real good start:

Dr. Marty Goldstein - Dr. Marty's Feeding Advice

He (Dr Martin Goldstein) also has books out.

Dr. Michael W. Fox is another expert who has written some excellent books about diets.

There's also a Dr Tom Lonsdale, if you like to Google him, with oodles of info.
He's the "Raw Meaty Bone" Doctor. He may have a book out as well.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:45 PM

414 posts, read 1,863,746 times
I've also read a lot about the BARF diet on this forum. Just search for BARF. The threads are pretty interesting, but I just don't have the stomach to feed it to my dogs! We feed ours Blue brand but there are many others that are better. www.dogfoodanalysis.com gives good ratings on dry and canned food. Good luck.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:05 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,605,804 times
I just bought Blue Buffalo and I think the other one is Natural Choice for my dogs. They seem to like both of them.

My dog trainer looked at the Nutro Max I was feeding them and insisted I get rid of it. Too many fillers and not that great for dogs.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:31 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,431,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
I just bought Blue Buffalo and I think the other one is Natural Choice for my dogs. They seem to like both of them.

My dog trainer looked at the Nutro Max I was feeding them and insisted I get rid of it. Too many fillers and not that great for dogs.
I think NutroMax has corn (or wheat) which isn't good. Nutro Natural Choice (same company) doesn't. It is confusing though, not sure why they did that, they certainly have a variety of diff. kinds of kibble (for big breeds, small breeds, dogs w/ upset stomachs, tartar-control, holistic, not to mention puppies and seniors etc). Almost too many choices, LOL (but I guess that's a good thing)

Old 02-26-2009, 03:57 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,740,640 times
I use Timberwolf Black Forest for our dog.

Timberwolf Organics Quick Formula Comparison Chart (http://www.timberwolforganics.com/Quick-Comparison-Chart - broken link)

Top FAQs (http://www.timberwolforganics.com/Top-FAQs - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs