Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 07:47 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,735,456 times

Advertisements

I was doing a search and found review of vehicles, suitable for dogs and their supplies.

Dog Cars :: Vechicle Reviews
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 11:57 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
I have an '08 Kia Spectra5 wagon and it's absolutely wonderful! It's not listed on that site, but the seats fold completely down and there is plenty of room for a large cage and suitcases in the back. I love my little car

Old 02-27-2009, 12:06 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,289,798 times
My vertically challenged Bulldog could never hop into half of the cars mentioned in that review! He's perfectly happy in our sedan and is always buckled in for safety, no crate needed.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:10 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,179,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I have an '08 Kia Spectra5 wagon and it's absolutely wonderful! It's not listed on that site, but the seats fold completely down and there is plenty of room for a large cage and suitcases in the back. I love my little car
Our Jeep Patriot isn't listed either, but so far with our two mastiffs we're really loving it!

Of course, they're only 3 and 4 months old, respectively.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:13 PM

1,188 posts, read 5,534,458 times
We have a 2008 Explorer as our dog vehicle. I wonder what the difference is between the 2007 to make the list and not the 2008.

We love our Explorer, although it isn't gas friendly compared to sedans but afterall it is a SUV. The seats fold down flat (if you don't get the 3rd row option) and there is plenty of room for our two large dogs and all our gear when we travel. We owned a 2000 Explorer before our 2008. What a ride difference between those two models! The 2008 is such a smoother and quieter ride!!!!

Old 02-27-2009, 02:37 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,315,517 times
In 2004, I bought my car FOR my dog. At the time, I had a Mazda Miata convertible. My dog (75-pound Siberian Husky) HATED it. He was so uncomfortable in the car. I even went to my local Mita repair shop and had them REMOVE the passenger seat entirely, so that Bandit had a nice deep well to ride in. I put a blanket in there, etc. Nope...still hated it. It was agony when we took the trip to see my parents -- six hours away! -- because Bandit would refuse to lie down the ENTIRE time. I just felt so bad for him. So I did what any self-respecting dog-mama would do: I bought a new car!

I bought a 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback. They only sold it in the US in 2004. It's a wagon version of their Lancer (small sedan).

It's lower to the ground than their Outlander...more like a regular car. The far back part is entirely Bandit's. I put one of those gate/grilles up to keep him in the back, which helps keep the dog hair in the rest of the car to a minimum. It's a big space...much bigger than his kennel at home...and I put a non-slip mat and then a blanket back there. He loves it. We go everywhere together in the car and have made many long road trips, and he does just fine. He hangs out, looks out the windows, chills. And his section has these little compartments where I keep his travel water-bowl and bottles of water. Everything we need. Great car! (Plus, it's just a great car to begin with. 165-HP, 28 mpg, automatic, and it cost me only $16,000 with plenty of bells and whistles. I use touring tires to keep the ride extra smooth, and it's just awesome.)

I'm now sold on wagons. I can't imagine having any other kind of vehicle, and I hope that when the time comes for me to buy a new car -- many years from now, hopefully -- I'll be able to find another wagon for us to use and abuse and love.

Old 02-27-2009, 04:03 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
I was doing a search and found review of vehicles, suitable for dogs and their supplies.

Dog Cars :: Vechicle Reviews

LOL...You KNOW I had to read this one! Well, it's pretty obvious what cars they are not allowed in and I didn't see a one of them listed! DH's Ford F150 KR....they get the whole back seat....no bed riding for them!

Old 02-27-2009, 05:14 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,365,699 times
Thanks for posting, I've been looking at "Dog" cars for a while

Old 02-28-2009, 06:59 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,735,456 times
I have an MDX and the rear cargo area is best with the weather mats since he can puke in the back (from car sickness) - and all I have to do is hose down the mat.

He used to sit in the front seat, and he would puke on the leather.

He is a lap dog but not a 'road trip' kind of guy. BUT I love our little boy.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:10 AM

4,550 posts, read 11,698,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
My vertically challenged Bulldog could never hop into half of the cars mentioned in that review! He's perfectly happy in our sedan and is always buckled in for safety, no crate needed.
Don't worry my GSD is not vertically challenged but he only likes to "step" into our little Honda Civic He also can lay on the back seat and place his little GSD head between my husband and I....perfect for him He doesn't seem concerned about luggage not fitting well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs