Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2009, 08:43 AM

737 posts, read 2,587,460 times

Advertisements

I am unsure whether or not a link is permitted here, so if you use google and type in: K9 Veterans Day - the result should be the first one listed.

I'm pretty certain it is okay to post this to get the word out, but if the moderator deems this inappropriate, then perhaps it should be placed in another forum. K9 Veterans Day originated in FL but the post seemed more appropriate here.

Moderator cut: Here's the link: http://www.k9veteransday.org/

Last edited by leorah; 02-28-2009 at 05:57 PM.. Reason: Posting a link is fine unless it's advertising
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 08:12 PM

1,629 posts, read 3,477,323 times
Great idea!

Old 03-01-2009, 08:29 PM

620 posts, read 1,772,091 times
Thanks for the link! I had no idea about this; I think it's great.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Samadhi View Post
Thanks for the link! I had no idea about this; I think it's great.
Yes, I agree. These guys and gals were drafted without any knowledge about their future. They are also American heroes, without a doubt. Thanks for the nod.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:16 PM

Default keep up the petitions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mearth View Post
Great idea!
I agree! Thanks for the look and I've already sent in my signed petition. Just keep'em coming! These dogs didn't have a choice and should be recognized.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:13 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,909,568 times
Default For those who don't know....

Most of the war dogs like those my father trained at Cat Island during WWII were repatriated after the war by being returned to their families or placed for adoption.

Over 4000 war dogs served their country with distinction in Vietnam, saving the lives of over 10,000 American soldiers. However, the shameful fact is that at the end of U.S. involvement in the war most of them were left behind with the S. Vietnamese army or euthanized. These dogs were declared "surplus equipment." Only about 200 were returned to the U.S.

It wasn't until 2000 that a law was passed and signed by President Clinton to allow military dogs to be repatriated and adopted rather than be euthanized. In 2006 President Bush signed a bill that enabled injured military dogs to retire and be adopted.

The process to adopt a retired military dog is detailed here:

Military Working Dog Foundation, Inc.: Dogs for Adoption by the Public (http://www.militaryworkingdogs.com/dogstoadopt.shtml - broken link)

The old saying is, "Every dog will have it's day."

I think it's way past time for all of our military dogs to have a day to be honored for their service and for the lives they saved.

--------------------------------------

Old 03-02-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
Over 4000 war dogs served their country with distinction in Vietnam, saving the lives of over 10,000 American soldiers. However, the shameful fact is that at the end of U.S. involvement in the war most of them were left behind with the S. Vietnamese army or euthanized. These dogs were declared "surplus equipment." Only about 200 were returned to the U.S.

I, for one, definitely did not know this. "Surplus equipment"? Seriously? I don't even know what to say about that.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:37 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,909,568 times
Yep, seriously.
Here's a link to one website with the whole story. WAR DOGS of VIETNAM - Page 2 | The Patrotic Gentleman (http://www.thepatrioticgentleman.com/War-Dogs-of-Vietnam/War-Dogs-of-Vietnam2.html - broken link).

You can google "Vietnam war dogs" and find more corroboration.
There are a few books on the subject, too: Amazon.com: None Came Home: The War Dogs of Vietnam: John E. O'Donnell: Books

It's very sad that this isn't more widely known.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:46 PM

Thanks so much for these links!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs