Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 10:53 AM

603 posts, read 1,949,096 times

Advertisements

One of my babies is sick Four of my other ones recently had the similar symptoms but are now normal.Im thinking i brought something home from work because a lot of the dogs there are vomiting/diarreah.Star was vomitting quite a few times yesterday and today.She didnt eat at all yesterday and today and this morning she started having diarreah.I noticed a little while ago there appears to be some blood in it.It kind of just squirts out.I was thinking maybe salmonella from the peanut butter because we put peanut butter in their kongs.The peanut butter we have wasnt on the recall list but i threw it out anyway.Plus 3 of the 4 that were sick dont get the peanut butter.I just dont have the funds right now to take her to a vet(please dont bash me for that).I have an emergency credit card but i used most of it for my chihuahua's vet visits and medication.I did call and speak to the vet at the place i used to work.He told me to give her 10mg Pepcid 1xday,subqutaneous fluids,metronidazole(flagyl) for diarreah and 200mg amoxicillin 2xday.I started it all today so i hope it helps.Even though shes a puupy i dont believe she has an obstruction because my other guys just went through this,although not as bad.Please keep your fingers crossed for her.Have any of you ever dealt with something similar?If so what did you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 11:03 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,963,516 times
If she's vomiting, giving her ANYTHING by mouth risks having her vomit again and becoming dehydrated. So if she is continuing to vomit, don't even offer her water. If she continues to vomit and have the diarrhea, you're likely going to have to bite the bullet and get her to the vet for subcutaneous fluids. If she hasn't had her Parvovirus vaccinations I would be VERY quick to get her to the doctor, because THAT diarrheal illness kills puppies.

Once the vomiting stops, offer her overcooked white rice (it's good to cook it in broth, because that has a bit of sodium in it) with some poached chicken breast. NOT the leg/thigh/wing: it's too greasy.

It sounds like some infectious diarrhea that one of your dogs contracted and passed around to the others. I doubt this is Salmonella.

Hope she's feeling better soon.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:57 AM

Thank you for your advice.I didnt really think it was salmonella but it was something to consider.Im just concerned about the diarreah,since it did have some blood in it.I know with parvo its like pure dark dark bloody diarreah and it has a certain smell.She is up to date with all vaccines.I started the fluids today so i dont have to go to the vet for that.Im starting the pepcid later when i get it around 5:00 ( i dont have transportation right now )Im doing everything the vet told me.So i really pray shes better tomorrow.Shes been laying down and sleeping all day so far.Her littermate Jellybean wont leave her side Its so sad i hate when they dont feel good.So you think this is just a virus?You think she should start to improve within the next day or so?

Old 03-04-2009, 12:12 PM

7,149 posts, read 12,695,855 times
Thought about worms? My dog would vomit and have some blood and mucus in her feces with worms...went away after worming.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:38 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,564,768 times
coccidiosis? A common bacterial infection. Highly infectious - we used to get it at a humane society where I worked as a kid and we used a lot of bleach for disinfection.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:42 PM

367 posts, read 1,024,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
If she's vomiting, giving her ANYTHING by mouth risks having her vomit again and becoming dehydrated. So if she is continuing to vomit, don't even offer her water. If she continues to vomit and have the diarrhea, you're likely going to have to bite the bullet and get her to the vet for subcutaneous fluids. If she hasn't had her Parvovirus vaccinations I would be VERY quick to get her to the doctor, because THAT diarrheal illness kills puppies.

Once the vomiting stops, offer her overcooked white rice (it's good to cook it in broth, because that has a bit of sodium in it) with some poached chicken breast. NOT the leg/thigh/wing: it's too greasy.

It sounds like some infectious diarrhea that one of your dogs contracted and passed around to the others. I doubt this is Salmonella.

Hope she's feeling better soon.
That's the best idea. i had a dog who when a puppy got parvo. that was heart breaking to watch. she survived though. i forced fluids with a turkey baster and fed her chicken and rice soup. (vet recommended me do that to keep her from getting dehydrated). i hope the puppy doesn't have salmonella but all the same, get them to a vet if you can.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:47 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,884,655 times
One of my dogs gets a hemorrhagic diarrhea once in a while and the others don't get it (usually). The vet gives what you have, flagyl amd amox. Good luck and hope your baby feels better soon!

Old 03-04-2009, 12:53 PM

I doubt its any kind of parasite.I deworm them frequently.The vet i spoke to before recommended i test her stool but i cant right now because it is all diarrhea.She just looks uncomfortable.And she is drooling a lot and i believe because she is nautious.Hopefully the pepcid will help.What do you guys think?If shes not better by tonight or tomorrow im going to have to do something.I just wish it wasnt so expensive.And more places should have payment plans.I dont want to leave her alone tomorrow and i dont think its a good idea to bring her with me to work because i dont know if theres something going around in there.If i gave her fluids today and give her more later do you think that will help her?Im just so worried because she didnt eat yesterday either.I know you guys arent vets but maybe youll have some answers.i just wish i was a millionare.I still have a bill im paying off at the vets i used to work at.Id love to bring her there because theyre great and have such a phenomenal staff but i simply cannot afford that place.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:56 PM

southernbelle:: Does your dog vomit along with the diarrhea and get very sick?How long does it usually last for?

Last edited by dogcrazy; 03-04-2009 at 01:10 PM..

Old 03-04-2009, 01:38 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,303,274 times
My puppy had bloody diarrhea/vomiting recently and after a trip to the e-vet, it was coccidia. Have her stool tested for coccidia. They only need a bit and even the liquid kind will do. Just suck some up with a syringe. It's easy to treat with Albon and you can save yourself hundreds by avoiding the e-vet. Cost us $700 to get that diagnosis from an e-vet, when a simple visit to a regular vet would have sufficed. Coccidia is a protozoa, so deworming will not prevent it. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs