Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 04:53 PM

409 posts, read 2,783,455 times

Advertisements

My little one was only groomed once and it was a disaster. She didnt bite anybody but got so fidgety they couldnt do much. She is that way with me too unless it's late at nite, but I don't know what I'm doing.

My vet called in Diazapam 2 mg for her and I think that sounds pretty strong. I called the pharmacist and she said to try 1/2. I take xanax and it's only .50. That one is 4 times as strong. She said overdose would cause frothing at the mouth. Myh god. What do I do. Rescue remedy did nothing unless I just didnt give her enough. Please someone help me calm her for the groomer. Or tell me if you have used Diazapam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 05:10 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,148,232 times

Mimosa,

You wrote about this previously and I advised you to seek out someone who WITH ONLY POSITIVE REINFORCEMENT will train your dog to be still for the groomer. Clicker training for grooming is easy, stress-free for the dog and will turn grooming into a positive experience.

But obviously you think drugs are better. Drugs that will leave your dog unable to physically respond to the stress that grooming is causing it, thereby only serving to make the fear worse.

You want a quick fix - do drugs and each and every time your dog goes to the groomer it will be an ordeal of nothing but fear.

Your call.

Old 03-07-2009, 05:40 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,452,897 times
You can try another groomer. Some groomers are better handling this than others. You can try a small bit of the diazapam and see what happens. I don't think it will hurt the dog any. I take a few nibbles now and then and it hasn't hurt me any.

Old 03-07-2009, 05:52 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,700,852 times
Remember Diazapam and and Xanax while in the same class of drug you cannot compare them exactly. The lowest strength pill form of diazapam is 2mg. It is comparing apples to oranges.

Old 03-07-2009, 06:22 PM

947 posts, read 3,409,635 times
I agree 100% about the training...

First off...
What kind of dog is she
how old
what breed

Do you comb at home in a calm matter, is it a pleasant time, It should be a bonding connection between you two with trust and love. Should be an enjoyable time!

Is your dog comfortable on a leash, being around other dogs,
Does she Relax...?

An Anxious dog is an unhappy dog.
Full of fear, nervousness, unfulfilled

I groomed a dog today, She is always so so anxious, I am very calm, always with her. She comes in by being held with Dad, never a leash and certainly never a collar. Does Not like grooming loop around her neck, she is nervous about everything.

This dog needs socialization. She does Not go out of the house Except for Vet and Grooming... how scary, I would be nervous too!

I would not recommend any drugs.

I ask these things and if you aren't doing them, they may be so helpful for her and her nerves and yours too.

Are you doing (blank) on a regular basis...
walking her
playing with her
giving her something to do, a type of "job"
being consistent
a training class

All the behaviors that come out at the groomers starts from home and their/your lifestyle.

Small or Big All dogs need training and consistency and to be Leash trained, No carrying Dog Everywhere you go, No dog stroller.

At the very least,
Leash train dog if not already, so she feels so comfortable, than take her for walks and Always a Long walk right before the groomers, I mean like ate least 45mins of walking, Very Important.

Especially if this dog is young or a pup, and has had only 1 grooming session, (then I assume she is young), it is so important to start Now with training regime and depending on the type of dog, it will need grooming the rest of her life. She must be comfortable with it. How horrible it will be if she always became freaked out every time.

I guess if you want to use the Drugs,... Please know as Fivehorses explained it will be a lifetime of fear and stress of the grooming process. But that is your decision, I cannot give you advice on how much to give because I would say none. But you did ask what should you do, so these suggestions are where I would start!

It takes a lot of work and time... But I just canNot stress enough how important it is to start a training regime at home, pronto!
Your dog will be happier too, and less hyper.

Really hope this helps!

I see so many doggies that their owners say... he/she hates to be combed, they are not in controll, then they "get" mated, and then the dog ends up being in controll, biting, acting out in every way...
Not the doggis fault, they need structure!

Sorry so long, but hope it helps ya!!!

Old 03-08-2009, 12:57 PM

16,673 posts, read 17,440,619 times
Give the groomer the diazapam and s(he) wont be bothered by the dog fidgeting.

Old 03-08-2009, 04:12 PM

I don't know why people get so upset about giving a dog drugs, yet happily take their dog in to get annual vaccines and put frontline and other chemicals on the dog or feed the dog cheep commercial dog food and nothing else.

I don't have a problem with giving a dog a little bit of diazampam. I'd rather not, but if that's the only way to get the dog groomed, then so be it.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:04 PM

First off,
I do not agree with this use of the drug, I will explain.
And,... I do Not and I will Not give my pets annual vaccines, use frontline and/or other chemicals on them, I discuss everything with my Holistic vet and do the most natural thing, And I definitely do not feed the nutrient poor main stream commercial pet foods.

The use of this drug, sedative drug Diazampam, it is just masking the problem. The problem is: this dog (and many others that exhibit this behavior) needs training, training with the grooming process, Not just at the groomers for the session but it starts at Home!
I did explain a bit in my previous post. It IS so important! I cannot tell you enough! It really is simple! Takes work, no doubt, but the steps are Simple as long as there is structure, calmness, consistency and a sense of control.

This dog is young. It has only had one grooming session any from home, ie, at the groomers. Many pups do become stressed their first time. It just takes a lot of time to adjust them to grooming, but it is so essential because they will be groomed very often and for the rest of their life, so Why give this pill every time...? They should be going in for grooming every 6 weeks or so. I would Not feel ok giving a sedation drug, at all, let along Every Time...

I can However understand if they are in risk of severe pain, ie extreme matting that will cause a lot of pain or during a trauma, but still am wary of sedation drug. And actually, neither of these examples would "your" dog be groomed at a grooming salon, it would and should be at a vets office. Also If a dog is So old and still Must get groomed (and you cannot do it yourself and it has to be away from home) well even then I would still be wary of it for one the dog is old for even the travel but also the drug itself might not be good for an old dog. And this too would be done at a vet with a dog in very old age conditions such as painful arthritis etc.
Anyway, this does not apply to you/OP, sorry.

I have never groomed a sedated dog even with severe mating. Do the best I can for the sake of the dog and their stress level, I stay calm even when I see that they are uncomfortable. I do what the owner would like unless it is risky for the dogs sake (safety) meaning physically and mentally. It should Not be a forceful time/session.

Anyway....

So, the end result is that, to be direct, It is a cover up of the problem of anxiety, and this is actually not a "problem" per say... you just need to train. Get some books, do some research, work often and consistently with your dog. At 15 months... this can be done! At 2 yrs, at 5 yrs this can be done, But why wait!? The training of your dog starts now, for the grooming process, for the health of your dog and safety too (leash training) the sanity of you, and the overall happiness of you and dog!

If you are thinking about getting a book, and if it be just one, a grooming guide/handbook would be great! It will give suggestions for nervous dogs too (in case you didn't like mine, but they might say about the same things too )

Hope this helps! I try to be here for the doggies too!!! (for their health and happiness!)

Old 03-08-2009, 09:30 PM

need4trees ---

Give the diazapam (valium, whatever) to me then. I'm feeling frazzled.

Last edited by Woof Woof Woof!; 03-08-2009 at 09:50 PM.. Reason: Fixed spelling error and inserted funny face.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:46 PM

ok,...

This was meant for the OP,...
to Help from a groomer point of view/from some experiences I have had...

But whatever!

Sorry you are frazzled. Do what you need to do.

OP, do what you need to do, do what you feel best but I was just giving some suggestions! Let us know what you decide and how it goes! Thinking about you and your little one!
(never meant to Offend you, and sorry if I did)
Maybe I wasted my time here...but in case I Didn't...
DM me if you feel so inclined and I will be glad to help, if I can!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs