Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 08:35 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,509,269 times

Advertisements

I did not use a shock collar - I used a device - a little box that made a high frequency sound - there was nothing around the dogs neck.

These dog are not barking like they want to hurt someone - they are barking and wagging their tails at the same time - mostly barking at the old lady across the street and her cat that keeps walking back and forth.

I will probably have to call in a dog trainer - very expensive -

I used to foster dogs and have used the coins in the can before - maybe I should try it again - these dogs are the type where nothing really spooks them -
one of my dogs even barks at me like a petulant child after I correct his behaviour -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 11:33 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,150,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post

I will probably have to call in a dog trainer - very expensive -

one of my dogs even barks at me like a petulant child after I correct his behaviour -
I cannot add anything helpful or positive at this point. You have two very large, very powerful dogs in your care. It is YOUR responsibility to ensure that these dogs are trained so that no unfortunate accident occurs. Yes, you will have to pay for it. Pay now in cash, or pay later ... up to you.

A forum on the internet is no substitution for professional advice - and from the sounds of things, I'd suggest you go seek that advice sooner rather than later.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:10 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,559,654 times
I would agree about the training

Canes are a very big powerful breed known for their guarding behaviors and agression. I believe, like other dogs of their type, maturity is probably not fully reached until about 4 years.

I had a friend with a Boerbel and the dog was sweet as can be as a puppy but around the age of 4 that dog was a totally different animal.

I have GSDs and I take any infringement very seriously.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:25 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,509,269 times
Grannynancy -the female that is 3 yrs is very mature but the male at 2 yrs still acts like a puppy at times - when you say the Boerbel was "different" at 4 yrs, what do you mean? good or bad?

You are right - they are big, powerful dogs and I am the alpha with them - the male barks back at me but he still knows I am the boss - he is well behaved in other areas - he sits, stays and goes down on command and behaves great when I walk him - he stays right next to my side.

Anyone know of a good dog trainer in the Northern Virginia area?

Old 03-12-2009, 10:24 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,559,654 times
The Boerbel really did not fully develop his guarding behaviors [which that owner wanted] until he was about 4. The dog ran loose on this guys farm and after that if the dog was loose you did not get out of the vehicle. Even people who had known the dog since he was a small puppy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs