Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 10:02 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,298,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Maybe I'm not getting something here. But, why don't YOU train YOUR dog to NOT JUMP UP on someone??? Why are you faulting someone for picking up their own dog?
My dog NEVER jumps on people, unless in a situation like I stated. When you pick up a dog inside of a dog park, every single dog in that dog park will come to you to see what was going on. Neither of our dogs were anywhere near her and her yappy thing and only became interested when she decided to break all park rules and picked up her dog. The other two dogs that were jumping on her were golden retrievers, because they wanted to see what was going on. It is common sense that you never do that, and if you're stupid enough to pick up your dog, expect other dogs to be jumping all over you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Excuse me???? Someone kicked "our" Porkchop???? The gloves are off now! Lemme at her!!!!!!
"Our" Porkchop is fine. :-) He has a gigantic head and can take lots of dog park abuse, but I still hate when people find it ok to do that to other people's dogs. I highly doubt she'll be back, since the regulars were pretty upset with her.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:13 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,109,189 times
Only one of the many reasons I dont visit a dog park . Mainly most of the reasons is because some people dont have their dogs trained , bathed or shots or tags , yes I have seen several without tags. I have personally witnessed one dog attacking another one and the people simply picked the dog up and left the park without so much as an I'm sorry or any other info . I wonder to myself if this is how they intend or did raise their children , to never accept responsibility . I am assuming these people had no shots for their dog since their dog wore no tags . and they did not want to have to pay for a vet bill caused by their dog . I cannot get over how many irresponsible pet owners there are .

Old 03-09-2009, 10:15 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,459,475 times
I don't think dog parks are a good idea to begin with...

Old 03-09-2009, 10:43 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,319,582 times
I, for one, am grateful for my local dog park. I live in an apartment with my dog, and while he gets daily walks, he NEEDS an opportunity to stretch his legs off leash and socialize with other dogs and people. Yes, I realize that dog parks CAN be a recipe for disaster. I know that, and I often say that I worry more about the people than I do about the other dogs. (A lot of folks just don't seem to know much about dogs and don't seem very aware of dogs and dog "language" and signals.) But honestly, that's a risk I'm willing to take.

I know my dog (his personality and behavior and "tells") and I have good control over him, even inside the park. We make every effort to "stay out of the mix" of dogs -- we walk circuits around the inside of the park, instead of standing stationary in little people-and-dog clusters. (That's where most of the mayhem seems to start, I've noticed.) I keep my eye on him to ensure he doesn't have an opportunity to fixate on any other dog and that all play is mutual. And we are willing and able to leave the park immediately if there's a weird vibe, or if I sense that my dog is "off" or other dogs are "off."

Dog parks can be a wonderful tool. Yes, I know that stuff can happen in the blink of an eye. And it's true that there are a LOT of people who don't know how to use dog parks and that only heightens the risk factor, but for me and Bandit, the dog park is a blessing.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:51 AM

4,550 posts, read 11,704,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
I, for one, am grateful for my local dog park. I live in an apartment with my dog, and while he gets daily walks, he NEEDS an opportunity to stretch his legs off leash and socialize with other dogs and people. Yes, I realize that dog parks CAN be a recipe for disaster. I know that, and I often say that I worry more about the people than I do about the other dogs. (A lot of folks just don't seem to know much about dogs and don't seem very aware of dogs and dog "language" and signals.) But honestly, that's a risk I'm willing to take.

I know my dog (his personality and behavior and "tells") and I have good control over him, even inside the park. We make every effort to "stay out of the mix" of dogs -- we walk circuits around the inside of the park, instead of standing stationary in little people-and-dog clusters. (That's where most of the mayhem seems to start, I've noticed.) I keep my eye on him to ensure he doesn't have an opportunity to fixate on any other dog and that all play is mutual. And we are willing and able to leave the park immediately if there's a weird vibe, or if I sense that my dog is "off" or other dogs are "off."

Dog parks can be a wonderful tool. Yes, I know that stuff can happen in the blink of an eye. And it's true that there are a LOT of people who don't know how to use dog parks and that only heightens the risk factor, but for me and Bandit, the dog park is a blessing.

Totally agree with you...I probably need the dog parks as much or more than my Storm does We have tons or room but I LOVE seeing him with the other dogs. OOPs Storm wants to play Snowball ..got to go

Old 03-09-2009, 11:20 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,443,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
My dog NEVER jumps on people, unless in a situation like I stated. When you pick up a dog inside of a dog park, every single dog in that dog park will come to you to see what was going on. Neither of our dogs were anywhere near her and her yappy thing and only became interested when she decided to break all park rules and picked up her dog. The other two dogs that were jumping on her were golden retrievers, because they wanted to see what was going on. It is common sense that you never do that, and if you're stupid enough to pick up your dog, expect other dogs to be jumping all over you.
Are there actual rules posted: No picking up your dog?
Have never seen such a rule posted at any dog park.
Sorry, no dog should ever jump on anybody else...big,little...there are no acceptions. JMO

Old 03-09-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Are there actual rules posted: No picking up your dog?
Have never seen such a rule posted at any dog park.
Sorry, no dog should ever jump on anybody else...big,little...there are no acceptions. JMO
It's common sense. Most people have enough of it to know that you do not pick up a dog at a dog park. Every single time I've been at a dog park where someone picked up their dog, just about every single dog at that park rushed to see why the dog is being picked up and started jumping on the person. It is dog behavior and has nothing to do with being untrained. Humans don't seem to get that and that is why fights break out at dog parks. Read up on it. Patricia McConnell has excellent books regarding dog behaviors and if every dog owner read her books, we wouldn't have the problems we do.

Moderator cut: post links, not articles
Hollywood On A Leash Pet Care - Dog Park Etiquette

Last edited by leorah; 03-09-2009 at 07:51 PM.. Reason: copyright issue

Old 03-09-2009, 12:44 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,443,490 times
You didn't ans. the question. You stated it "was the rules and that she broke them"! Chances are she didn't read the book....I know that is common sense...but obviously she didn't. But there is no such "rule" at a dogpark.
And who is anyone to try and ban someone from a public dogpark, because she picked up her dog?
Sounds over the top to me! And no...lets not use the old, dogs will be dogs rule of thumb. No dog should be jumping on anyone....and yes, it is a matter of training. For the dog and it's owner, just as she needs to learn of "your picking up rule". If PorkChop had been some huge dog and knocked her over..would you have said it was "ok" and it was her fault?

Old 03-09-2009, 12:55 PM

As I stated before, this is not a public dog park. There are signs clearly stating that is for the use of our residents, as it is in between two aparment complexes and not easily accesible by outsiders. It is for the residents of the apartment complexes that live near the dog park. It is really the size of a backyard, just somewhere for us apartment dwellers to let our dogs be off leash and is maintained by the employees of the complexes, and not the city. It is the same 5 of us every single night, at the same time after work. We all know each other, all of our dogs play with each other daily, and we get together outside of the "park" on a regular basis. Close knit communities have parks where all the residents know each other, which makes it a more enjoyable experience. Antisocial people and dogs are not welcomed at our park and we like to keep it that way. So no one is banning anyone from a public park. There are 2 within walking distance of this one that she is more than welcomed to go to.

And speaking of being knocked over by dogs at dog parks, that comes with the territory. I've seen plenty of people run over by dogs that were just running around like dogs do. It happens all the time. Dogs off leash will run and chase each other. I've been knocked to the ground once myself by a boxer that came out of nowhere, but that comes with the dog park territory. No harm done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs