Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 03:47 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,922,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy View Post
As I posted on another thread about 3 weeks ago while playing ball w/my lab I thought he was farther away and running towards me when I bent down to pick up his ball and he gave me a knock out concussion! Had to go to the ER and all is OK. Apparently my head isn't as hard as his.

Wow! That must of really hurt. I bet you had one hell of a head ache.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 10:56 PM

1,629 posts, read 3,478,822 times
Yeowch! I've been knocked in the head and jaw by my pup's head before, and that was bad enough.

Then again, I've also seen her run down a hill, land with her head against a rock, and keep on going...

Old 03-18-2009, 11:37 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,175,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mearth View Post
I get all kinds of bruises because I bump into things while playing "chase" and "catch me if you can" with my doggie. I also get scratches from wrestling with her. Plus she runs into me and jumps on me.

None of this bothers me - if I don't want to play, I have commands for her to calm down and she listens. If she starts to play bite, "no bite" gets her to shut her mouth immediately.

My only question is, does anyone else put up with minorly injured extremities for the sake of playtime? Or am I weird? I'm a 28yo single female, and I guess I just figure I have to be daddy as well as mommy
DH and I have always ended up with bumps, bruises, scratches, etc, from playing with our fur-babies. We have never had a problem with letting our dogs play rough, with us that is. They knew that we were in charge and they listened to us even when we were playing rough. Not to mention, they knew not to play too rough. Brooklyn even knew to stop whatever he was doing if we said "ouch".. lol! Unfortunately, since we just lost Brooklyn, we don't own a dog right now, but we will be getting another American Pit Bull Terrier, and the same thing will go for him/her.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:22 AM

1,629 posts, read 3,478,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullMommie1206 View Post
DH and I have always ended up with bumps, bruises, scratches, etc, from playing with our fur-babies. We have never had a problem with letting our dogs play rough, with us that is. They knew that we were in charge and they listened to us even when we were playing rough. Not to mention, they knew not to play too rough. Brooklyn even knew to stop whatever he was doing if we said "ouch".. lol! Unfortunately, since we just lost Brooklyn, we don't own a dog right now, but we will be getting another American Pit Bull Terrier, and the same thing will go for him/her.
Letme say again, how sorry I am for your loss.

My doggie is an AmStaff/Boxer. I taught her "no bite," and "gentle," but I think she taught HERSELF that "ouch" means to back off, also.

They're so sweet and intelligent.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:55 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,870,163 times
Default Roughhousing

Yes, we roughouse with our pit bull...eeeek...pit bull!! She does play rough at times and like your dog, I say "No Bite" and she listens. She does have this thing she will do that cracks me up. I sit on our bed to watch tv...habit I developed while getting over heart surgery. She likes to jump up and cuddle. Well, she gets this running leap and body slams me. I have to tuck and roll when I know she is going to do this. Doesn't hurt, no bruises but if you are not expecting it, she jolts you. She has these two toys one bright pink the other bright green...the pink one is "pinkie" of course and the green one is "trixie"...she knows them by name. I have repaired or sewn both of them several times..they look like accident victims. Most of her toys she has destroyed...very strong jaws as you can imagine.

Have I been bruised...not really but her front teeth did catch my finger one time while playing outside with her. She has a miniature tire..it is a toy but still a tire and we were playing fetch which for her is more like chase and fetch...I got the tire at the same time she did and she cut my finger pretty good. Not her fault.

Have fun with your dog they absolutely love the playing; just be careful. I am 61 years old so I have a few years on you and probably I'm a lot slower...yes I am careful but still play like a kid.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:39 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,274,691 times
Default Big Bad Softy Rotties...

In our 25 years plus of having Rotts, all of our females have proven they are tougher than the males. Hmmmm dog world...human world...not much difference in the two LOL !!!
Our girl now, who is smaller around 87 pounds, she is tough, or maybe cause we tell her she's tough.
We give her the grrrrrrrrrrr....... monster sound.... with our hands up with the monster claw look... and she knows it's time for "monster girl".
Or... when she wants to start the game, she gives us her wooooo-woooo sound, we really believe that means..."game on" to her. Sounds like a train coming down the track actually.
She gives us this snarly look only a dog Mom & dog Dad could love.
She doesn't really growl, it's more like a snarly face...sneezy face...upper lip curl, rolling on back just a kicking up at the ceiling..
Showing teeth of course...that's the look ya know have to look tough...sound tough...be tough. Especially in front of the boys (Rotts).
We grab her nose lightly... and it's onnnnnnnnn............
She lightly bites us, paws us, punches us...whatever it takes to win the game.
We've been doing this/playing this game for the 7 years we've had her.
She has never bit too hard. She'll bite, but don't get me wrong, sometimes it hurts, usually when I have my fingers in the wrong spot & she pinches me. Those pinches are YOWWWWW..... LOL !!!
If she does accidently nip us & we say ooowww...she stops & starts kisses us.
Sometimes it's worth getting nipped just for the extra kisses.
Can you imagine that ? Extra kisses....

Old 03-19-2009, 10:59 AM

795 posts, read 4,539,987 times
mearth -- you have started the funniest threads lately! i wish i could rep you again b/c god knows i have needed the laughs!

i totally know what you mean about this...it hasn't happened so much lately b/c barnaby is a senior dog now, but when he was little i walked around with mysterious scratches and bruises, and i'd have to tell my co-workers: no, i swear, my boyfriend, barnaby's "father," is NOT beating me!

probably the worst thing b did is leap up one time right as i bent over, and his head smacked me right on the bridge of the nose, cracking open the skin and bruising it on both sides.

lots of times i would try to exercise on the floor, and as soon as i'd bend over and my hair would cover my face, barnaby would attack me, and i'd end up rolling around on the floor laughing with him instead of doing leg stretches or whatever i had been originally aiming for. this is how i ended up with a lot of the scratches.

i have tripped over him (and my own feet trying not to step on him) and fallen into walls countless times when we've been playing hide and seek.

and the list goes on...

but it's all been worth it.

i've been thinking lately that i wish i had gotten him involved in agility classes when he was young b/c he had lots of energy and is very smart...but i just didn't think of it in time...and now he has health problems.

so, i'd say, nope, you're not weird at all!

Last edited by barndog; 03-19-2009 at 11:08 AM..

Old 03-19-2009, 04:24 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,274,691 times
Not any weirder than the rest of us.
Rotties heads are hard, too.
One day I bent over & our girl Rotty lifted her head up...POW !!! Hit me in the nose so hard I saw stars. I mean REAL stars. I had a bloody nose & it swelled up & one of my eyes got black. So yes...as sweet as they are, not even rough housing, they can put the hurt on you.
She felt bad, too. She just starred at me. She look so sad. I told Hubby to baby her. I didn't want her to feel bad for whacking me in the nose.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:15 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,689,193 times
Yeah, headbutts...friggin heardheaded dogs!
we had a rottie yrs ago... she was just losing her puppy teeth... I was holding her tug o war rope and she went for it...as I moved she grabbed the rope AND my arm...She released but her baby canine tooth stuck INTO my arm and she was hanging midair from my arm...as I moved to the ground...I removed her and her tooth from me and she looked at me so sadly and licked my face.....I have a nice hole in my arm from her....
And the bruises and scratches I have from Rocco and Rosie...sheesh!

Old 03-20-2009, 07:29 AM

150 posts, read 981,225 times
Aw, I love reading about all the fun times that people have playing with their pets. Sometimes all the sad rescue stories really get you down. You all sound like fantastic pet parents!

I also get down and play with dogs. Good exercise for both of us! I don't normally sustain injurires, but one day I was rubbing my big guy's belly after we had finished playing, and I guess he got his second wind, because he started moving his legs, and whacked me in the face with a paw, splitting my lip. That was a difficult injury to explain...really, my dog did it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs