Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2009, 11:46 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,300,576 times

Advertisements

I bought the pet version for PC's nails, but it doesn't seem to work as well as when we take him to the groomer. They did all four paws in under 3 minutes with no problems. Which sanding band should I be using?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 01:36 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,448,345 times
I do, I do! I have just a straight Dremal....I had bought the pet nail attachment and returned it...was worthless to me. I just have a sanding attachment...but it sure does take more than 3 minutes! Also, be sure NOT to hold the sander against his nail....it will get hot. Just hit the nail with a few seconds in between...

Old 03-23-2009, 01:40 PM

315 posts, read 1,088,692 times
I tried one and didn't like the time it took and the way it heated up the nails. It didn't seem to have the power to do the job, I have 2 large dogs. I returned it and prefer using my nail clipper, much quicker for me.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:26 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,958,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
I tried one and didn't like the time it took and the way it heated up the nails. It didn't seem to have the power to do the job, I have 2 large dogs. I returned it and prefer using my nail clipper, much quicker for me.
The nails got hot because you were not doing this correctly. You only have to touch it to the nail for a few seconds at a time, go on to the next nail and come back to the first one.

I, too, LOVE the regular dremel (I use the rechargeable, NON-battery operated one) with the sanding disc with medium or fine sandpaper (NEVER use the ceramic sander!). It works beautifully and is almost silent.

I also recommend following the method on this site:How to dremel your dog's nails. It's easy to follow and it works!

Old 03-23-2009, 02:40 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,115,312 times
Excellent link,Viralmd.
I utilize the medium grain sandpaper attachment on the Dremel. I purchased a PediPaw - and with Labs, it was near laughable. I went through batteries and the sandpaper heads like mad and still had longer nails. I was a bit nervous with the Dremel initially, but the dogs were used to the noise of the PediPaw and the Dremel was not any louder. Also, with the Dremel, the file time is cut in half. I love it!

Old 03-23-2009, 04:55 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,020,645 times
I had a battery operated Dremel for my Vizsla who is always a difficult pedicure. He hated the noise and always squirmed. The dremel barely took any surface off his nails. Now I use a rechargeable Peticure Elite and it seems to do a better job. It's still a wrestling match, but at least this device makes a noticeable improvement in just a little time.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:05 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,020,645 times
Also the Peticure has a head housing that minimizes the chance of catching your dog's hair in the moving parts. You can purchase just the head cover to fit other rotary tool models as well. Check the fit with the manufacturer's website.

Peticure Safe Guard (http://www.peticure-grooming.com/Peticure-Safe-Guard_p_0-14.html - broken link)

Old 03-23-2009, 05:12 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,448,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
Also the Peticure has a head housing that minimizes the chance of catching your dog's hair in the moving parts. You can purchase just the head cover to fit other rotary tool models as well. Check the fit with the manufacturer's website.

Peticure Safe Guard (http://www.peticure-grooming.com/Peticure-Safe-Guard_p_0-14.html - broken link)
This is the one I got. It was more trouble than it was worth and I sent it back.

If your Dremel did not do the trick on your dogs nails, there's a good chance you weren't using the correct attachment. I had to try 2-3 different degrees of sandpaper heads till I found one that worked well for my Goldens.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:22 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,124,983 times
I use a regular, battery operated Dremel for my Bostons and Frenchie. It's super quick, easy and less stressful for both me and my furkids. I highly recommend it.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:40 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,914,677 times
I use a Proxxon rotary tool (similar to a Dremel but with infinite speed adjustment) with a #60 carbide sanding drum for my dogs' nails. The #60 cuts through the nails quickly without overheating like a finer grit would do. My dogs are fairly large, though. On a smaller dog with more fragile nails I would try a finer grit--maybe 100--to start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs