Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 12:40 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,981,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdave View Post
Maybe not acceptable to you. I understand. We meet people and their dogs all the time that feel otherwise.
Do you inquire if the other dog is friendly before you allow this kind of interaction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 12:55 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,683,094 times
exactly, kansas sky.

i allow my dog to sniff other dogs on leash sometimes, but i ask first and i am close at hand in case their dog is not as friendly as they say it is.

my dog is fine with friendly dogs but if a dog takes an aggressive or rude stance at all, she will react. since so many people have no clue what their dog's body language means, i don't tend to trust their assessment of their dogs' behavior. and i certainly wouldn't just let my dog run up to a strange dog on a leash without saying anything to the owner.

if someone owns a dog who *is* dog aggressive, as long as they have sufficient control over their dogs they should have the right to walk in a public place without people's dogs running up to them. and whether or not you think they deserve that right, people DO do that. maybe it'll never happen, but maybe the 100th dog you let your dog run up to will be aggressive, and will hurt or kill your dog. if that happens are you going to blame the dog? the owner? or yourself?

Old 08-09-2009, 12:57 PM

29 posts, read 138,960 times
We often do ask. Some of the greenways we walk are so tight that dogs are upon us before anyone has a chance to say anything. Generally speaking, I can tell by watching the owners eyes and the dogs body language. Nothing needs to be said. My dogs don't care either way. They welcome all, friend or foe.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:32 PM

214 posts, read 1,002,845 times
The real issue (to me at least) isn't so much about retractable leashes, as it is the people behind those leashes. While there is a time and a place for retractable leashes, a responsible dog owner should be able to operate one respectfully in any setting.

It's also about knowing your dog and choosing the right equipment that will allow for the best control of your animal. I know I could take my (50 pound, non-pulling) dog anywhere on a retractable, but my neighbor's 100+ fear aggressive dog I wouldn't dare take her out on a retractable leash, because I couldn't be 100% confident in my abilities to control her in any situation.

People often times are so self-involved that they don't stop and think about their how their actions will effect others around them. For example, if you're in a veterinary office setting, it doesn't matter if your dog is on a retractable leash or a 4-6 foot nylon leash, your dog shouldn't be more than 4-6 feet away from you.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:46 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,981,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdave View Post
We often do ask. Some of the greenways we walk are so tight that dogs are upon us before anyone has a chance to say anything. Generally speaking, I can tell by watching the owners eyes and the dogs body language. Nothing needs to be said. My dogs don't care either way. They welcome all, friend or foe.
Congratulations on having such well-socialized and friendly dogs. I mean that sincerely.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:13 PM

28,946 posts, read 30,301,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryGal View Post
The real issue (to me at least) isn't so much about retractable leashes, as it is the people behind those leashes. While there is a time and a place for retractable leashes, a responsible dog owner should be able to operate one respectfully in any setting.

It's also about knowing your dog and choosing the right equipment that will allow for the best control of your animal. I know I could take my (50 pound, non-pulling) dog anywhere on a retractable, but my neighbor's 100+ fear aggressive dog I wouldn't dare take her out on a retractable leash, because I couldn't be 100% confident in my abilities to control her in any situation.

People often times are so self-involved that they don't stop and think about their how their actions will effect others around them. For example, if you're in a veterinary office setting, it doesn't matter if your dog is on a retractable leash or a 4-6 foot nylon leash, your dog shouldn't be more than 4-6 feet away from you.
Exactly, and thank you for being a responsible dog owner! Gosh, reading all these comments give a person hope!

Old 08-10-2009, 03:14 PM

28,946 posts, read 30,301,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas sky View Post
Congratulations on having such well-socialized and friendly dogs. I mean that sincerely.
I second that motion!

Old 08-10-2009, 07:56 PM

112 posts, read 325,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
small dogs on retractable leashes are one of my biggest "pet" peeves! only second to people not picking up dog poop! there are people who never seem to train their small dogs to heel, so when they're on a retractable leash, they can be all over the place.

regardless of the dog's size, when people are walking on a sidewalk or other busy path, the dog should be right at your side and not 4-6ft away!

Amen!! I am afraid of dogs and it really annoys me when dog owners do not walk their dogs on a lease or use these really long leashes. I continously have to call out "Can you hold your dog. I am afraid". Most of the times the owners will comply, but there's been a couple of the times when the owner would just look and smile, not do anything and say "Oh, she/he wouldn't do anything" .UGGH, This really gets me upset, especially when I am out running/jogging. Then I have to look like the bad gal and say, Seriously it's against the law for you to walk your dog without a leash. Can you please hold it so I can pass.

I just don't understand why people would even take the chance of not walking their dog on a leash or having the dog 10' ahead of them. I mean, you never know what can happen. For everyone's safety (including the dog), the dog really should be beside the owner.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:05 PM

112 posts, read 325,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICvegan View Post
You need to respect the fact that some people are afraid of dogs, even little tiny ones, and demonstrate immediately that your dog will not get near them without their persmission...and do so by getting that leash retracted and keeping it that way till safely past them.
Wow, if only more people thought like this. I think I love you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs