Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2009, 03:38 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,495,821 times

Advertisements

We have a large black dog we got some time ago, best we can figure is that he is a Newfoundland or Newfoundland/Lab mix. He has the shape, especially the head, of a Newfie, but with long, shiny hair, not the "fuzzy" coat I've seen on some. I don't know if this points to mixed or if some Newfies are just like that. He has been a great dog, very sweet disposition, never been a chewer, gets along well with all people, dogs and cats he meets. We would consider another when he passes on. I'm wondering who else has this breed and what their experiences are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 05:20 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,069,117 times
Some people who live near us have 2. I was outside last week and they were walking by and I stared (these are some BIG dogs). I asked them what sort of dogs they were and they said Newfoundland dogs. They seemed very placid.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:32 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,229,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
We have a large black dog we got some time ago, best we can figure is that he is a Newfoundland or Newfoundland/Lab mix. He has the shape, especially the head, of a Newfie, but with long, shiny hair, not the "fuzzy" coat I've seen on some. I don't know if this points to mixed or if some Newfies are just like that. He has been a great dog, very sweet disposition, never been a chewer, gets along well with all people, dogs and cats he meets. We would consider another when he passes on. I'm wondering who else has this breed and what their experiences are.
I've got both a Newfie and a couple of Labs. I have always loved Labs, and my dh always wanted a Newfie. Now I know why. This is a new breed I can never see me w/o. Determining the height/weight of your dog might help. The standard male Lab is around 85 lbs, while the standard male Newfie can be double that. Our Newfie did have that fuzzy coat as a puppy, but his new coat came in around 4-5 mths.

Here's a picture of our Newfie, Poseidon at 7 1/2 mths and 117 lbs w/ our Lab, Kodiak at 1 yr and 82 lbs. Poseidon's long fur makes him look even bigger.

Here's one of just Podeidon at 8 mths.

Poseidon (Newfie) is by far way more mellow, even as a pup than Kodiak (Lab) ever was. We never even had to crate him. He's going through a bit of puppy teething w/ his molars coming in and will chew if something is left out. Kodiak (Lab) has not been destructive in the house. My older 8 yr old Lab has several favorite stuffed animals he sleeps w/ and has never chewed. I consider Poseidon a gentle giant. He loves our cats and will beg to kiss our Chihuahuas, totally drenching them in the process. Newfies drool much more than Labs.

I'd love to see a picture of yours.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:23 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,814,714 times
I adopted a dog I was told was lab mix but clearly he was Newfie/lab. He was 138 lbs at his prime and a gentle giant. He would back off his food when my cat wanted to eat his food. he lived to be about 10 I think (it's been a while).

Old 04-03-2009, 09:07 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,495,821 times
Kahskye, are you sure you didn't sneak into my yard and take a picture of my Bear? He looks identical to your Poseidon, same hair and all. Mine weights in at 95 lbs now, he was running 85-90 last summer. I expect he's put on his winter weight, just like his owner. Our experience is similar to yours, very gentle. We've been lucky, no drool issue.

I saw an ad for Newfie puppies in our local weelky sales paper....$1500! I guess another is not in our future, at least not a registered one.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:33 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,348,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
My sister's in-laws have always had Newfies and they are WONDERFUL dogs. Big as bears (one was named "Bear") but cuddly like stuffed animals, they make great pets, even with small children around. My sister, who is a control freak beyond anything you can imagine, wont allow my other sister's dog near her baby, but the Newfies are totally fine around her child. They love to snuggle (which can be tough at times, a 160 pound dog leaning on your leg can make you fall over!) and will put up with most anything. To be honest, I'd love a Newfie if I had the space for one. Plus, as an added bonus, you know if a thief sees a Newfie in the window he's going to look for another house to rob!

Old 04-03-2009, 12:28 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,421,181 times
The Landseer Newfoundlands are very nice looking too -

http://retrieverman.files.wordpress....wfoundland.jpg

Old 04-03-2009, 12:32 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,229,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
The Landseer Newfoundlands are very nice looking too -

http://retrieverman.files.wordpress....wfoundland.jpg
They're pretty, but I'm partial to the black. I could maybe do a brown someday. I know now silver is becomming popular too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs