Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 04:57 AM

106 posts, read 440,228 times

Advertisements

We had a stray GS pointer show up yesterday. At first I thought he might belong to our new neighbors, but no luck. They offered to keep him, though, and said they'd even consider cutting a hole in a large BUCKET for a dog house. What's the ratio, 4 good dog owners for every bad or is it the other way around? My hubby just said that no, we'd take him in. He's a strange one for sure, the dog, hubby is too, but that's a whole 'nother forum . He is probably about 2-3 years old at most but definitely not younger than an year. Probably 10 pounds underweight and obviously either been a "strict outside" dog or on the road for a while. He has some odd chew marks or something around his ears and one eye. He also has the strangest marks on his paw pads, the large one. It's a perfect circle wound, and I have never seen anything like that before. Most look like they are healed, broke open, healed again, with one being open on the hind foot. He is really sore on those feet. He has a wound that healed on his front legs that obviously bled a lot, his fur is stained red down both front legs. It is not infected at least. We have an appointment with the vet for the usual stuff of course, but cannot get in till Thursday. This dog sleeps like the dead, he must be really worn out. I went out looking for any missing ads and called the country vet around here, but no one is apparently looking for Bob. His behavior is strange also. He is so attention starved he's stuck to us like glue, literally. He looked at my birds a little funny, and not sure if he was trained or what, I just told him 'no' when he started for the cage area, just firm, nothing outrageous. OMG, this dog dropped to the ground, rolled in submissive position, and I waited till he got up (not really wanting to reinforce THAT behavior) his teeth were actually chattering from anxiety. So we decided not to look for the original owner anymore. Would you guys?

Bob is definitely purebred. BTW, we call him Bob which is not very original but we tried every name trying to figure out what he would answer to. Any ideas of what to try? Mostly he just teeth chatters at ya unless he's in your lap and doesn't answer to anything. He's pretty well behaved so far around our other mutts, but understandably a little nervous too. I'll post a pic of the bugger later.

Our vet says there is a secret dog underground tunnel and our house is listed as a safe house . . . ha ha verrrry funny. But it is so close to losing Coco and we were not really wanting another dog, apparently we have no choice in that matter, Bob has spoken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 05:08 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
His teeth were chattering??? Oh my God, I would have sobbed had I seen/heard that.

No, there's no looking for the owners. You're Bob's owner. You're such a good egg, you really are. I wish that I could do what you do. You're amazing. And Bob knows it too.

Old 04-04-2009, 05:33 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times
dogmomof11 - no wonder your home is known as a "safe house". Very similar to ones that are in the network for women victims of domestic violence! Bob found his way to you and will respond to your love and compassion. Thank goodness for people like you. Keep him and bless you.

Old 04-04-2009, 06:50 AM

549 posts, read 2,204,886 times
Bless you and your hubby for taking in this lost soul...he was clearly guided to your home, where he would find refuge. It sure sounds like this guy's had one hell of a life, prior to arriving at your doorstep. I'd say aside from what your vet will do for him, that the rest will heal with the love and care you willingly provide. I just have to say it again...God bless you for taking him in!

Old 04-04-2009, 06:52 AM

106 posts, read 440,228 times
I'm thankful that I have the room to help out, but frustrated at the shear number of dogs that I cannot help. To be fair, lest people think that we collect dogs, all but 1 of our dogs are rescues and most are ones we have had for about 12 years now. It's more like a geriatric ward round here. We never meant to have so many dogs! When we were married we should have figured it was our path; we each already had 3 dogs....but anyway, here's a pic of Bob.
Attached Thumbnails
Back to 11 again. Sigh.-bob.jpg  

Old 04-04-2009, 08:23 AM

1,188 posts, read 5,532,899 times
Dogmomof11...I know it may seem overwhelming...but I envy your position to be able to take in "Bob." Which by the way, I adore his name. Just know there are many of us out here that support you and your husband's kind hearts. I know the last time we took in a foster, I had a hard time emotionally. I was so upset with how people can treat animals. I had to remember not all people are bad, just some. I also had to focus on the sweet soul we were helping and I found comfort chatting with CD folks in the pet forums.

P.S. Bob being stuck to you like "glue" is his safety mechanism. You have provided him with shelter, food, water and love. He feels like he can trust you guys and is worried about losing you guys. Our second dog Jersey Blue was like that...he's the most loyal and obedient dog. Jersey Blue was our first and only foster failure. Our vet was interested in adopting him...but we fell in love with him and couldn't bare to let him go.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:01 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Bob is gorgeous! And I agree with Amazonchix -- I also love the name Bob for him.

Congratulations on your new family member. I'm sure he's going to have many happy years with you, and you with him.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:04 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
I had a dog years ago, when I told her "no" and pointed my finger at her, she peed on the floor, dropped in it and cowered as if I was going to hit her. I cried. So clearly abused at some prior point in her life. She was with me for another 12 yrs until she died of old age (well, I had her put down as she was clearly going downhill). Bob is so lucky to have you. It took a long time before I could wave my hand near Alixe. Be kind, be patient, as you already know!

Old 04-04-2009, 09:49 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,442,839 times
I'm sure the dog will be fine. She just needs time to feel safe. Nothing you can do other than speak to her gently and feed her. She'll come around.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:56 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,583,607 times
Hummm maybe Coco lead Bob to your home! I
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs