Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2009, 10:07 AM

2,631 posts, read 5,454,332 times

Advertisements

howdy. my dog has been acting kind of sick lately. she has pooped and peed in the house five times in the last two days. a few of the times it was normal (though on the soft side) poop, but a couple of the other times it was a very runny diarrhea that looked like a spinach smoothie or something, and had an even runnier fluid the color of molasses that was seeping out of it.

My wife thinks that she isn't really sick, but just has an irritated bowel or something, and that she is misbehaving (she is 100% housetrained otherwise). i am not sure. i think she might be legitimately sick.

any opinions? thanks. aaron out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 10:19 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,444,028 times
She sounds sick.

With hold food for 24 hours. Diar-sanyl is very good for treating diarrhea in animals. It's made in France and is basically a clay that absorbs water in the bowel. You can order it online and keep it around for times like this. I always keep some in the house.

After 24 hours, feed white rice and boiled white chicken breast. Continue feeding until the diarrhea clears up, probably a few days, and then transition slowly back to the normal diet. You need to take her outside often to make sure she does her business outside.

I'm not sure about the wetting in the house, what is causing this, but keep us posted.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:07 AM

yeah, we have been taking her outside a ton, and she still ends up pooping ten minutes after we come back in.

as far as clay, rice, chicken, and stuff, i've been lectured by doctors before that this is horrible to do (to humans) when they have diarrhea. when a human has it, it is because there is something in the system that needs to be purged. rice, chicken, bread, charcoal, etc all serve to soak it all up, and the toxin that needs to be purged ends up sticking around longer.

i was reprimanded by a doctor for using that stuff. he then stuck me on a gatorade and chicken broth diet for a few days in order for my body to flush the bad stuff out.

i am concerned that the same would be necessary for anything that had diarrhea, whether human, dog, cat...

either way, the pooping/peeing in the house almost seems like she is doing it on purpose. as i have said, she is housetrained, and this hasn't been this serious of an issue before. she has occasionally had an accident in the house when she's been sick before, but this is almost like she is purposely going indoors rather than out. i take her outside and she just marks her territory. then i bring her back in and she dumps an entire bladder and empties her large intestine all over our dining room floor.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:38 AM

518 posts, read 2,060,712 times
I would suggest maybe some plain yogurt, it may help balance the bacteria in the stomach. If she isn't drinking, and continues to have diarrhea, she needs to see the vet. She may need to have fluids. Is she current on all vaccines and heartworm prevention? I hope she feels better soon.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:21 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,444,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
as far as clay, rice, chicken, and stuff, i've been lectured by doctors before that this is horrible to do (to humans) when they have diarrhea. when a human has it, it is because there is something in the system that needs to be purged. rice, chicken, bread, charcoal, etc all serve to soak it all up, and the toxin that needs to be purged ends up sticking around longer.
You need to take the dog off food for 24 hours. The reason to give a dog anti-diarrhea medicine is so that she does not become too dehydrated. Yes, the body is purging, but the intestines become inflamed and irritated and it is like crawling around on scraped knees.

You feed the dog chicken and rice AFTER 24 hours, so the system has plenty of time to "purge." It is a very gentle diet that allows the body to continue to heal. In addition, the rice is a binding element, so again, it absorbs and holds the water and electrolytes.

It's very important you do this. You asked for help, and this is standard protocol that any vet would recommend. If you don't want to listen to me, than please take your dog to a vet to get a professional opinion. A dog that has diarrhea cannot control it's bowel movements. If you've ever had the problem yourself, you know how "urgent" that feeling can be.

It's possible your dog could also have a bacteria in its intestines that is causing the diarrhea. The vet can give you an antibiotic to help this -- usually Tylan powder or Metronidazole.

But for now, the first thing you do is withhold food. That's the best advice I can give you. Whether you want to listen or not is up to you.

Frankly, your dog sounds very ill. It's not normal for a dog that is normally house trained to "dump" her bladder in the house. Something else is going on. I hope you get her the care she needs.

W.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:40 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,419,499 times
GIve her the benefit if the doubt, dogs don't misbehave like that, her poop is an indication something is going on, would withhold food as Woof said but if that doesn't work, it's def. time to take her to the vet before she gets weak, dehydrates etc, it could be anything from bad food to a virus or anything inbetween.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:55 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
Please, take her to a vet. Dogs don't do this on purpose, they just can't hold it any longer. She may try not peeing if it hurts (UTI) but then can't hold it any longer. She needs help.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:33 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,977,610 times
My opinion is that if she's breaking her housetraining something is definitely wrong. If she were my dog, I would take her to the vet's asap.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:36 PM

howdy all. it's been a while since i've had time to log on.

for clarification, i wasn't trying to start an argument, woof. i was just trying to get a better idea of what you were saying, versus what i've been told before.

and lastly, matsi is fine now. by the time i got home the day i wrote my last post, she was remarkably better and hasn't had any problems since then. now she is back to her bird and cat-chasing self, clawing up our new wooden floor in her haste to scamper from one end of the house to the next.

sigh.

in other news, over the weekend we had a party with 60 people or so and decided to leave the dog at my parents' home with their aging border collie (parents were at our party, so the dogs were alone). this was the first time that we've left her at someone else's place, and she behaved like a gem. didn't break or chew anything. didn't make any messes. she ate the other dog's food, but that was because we forgot to put it up first...

thanks for the responses. aaron out.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:55 AM

1 posts, read 2,138 times
is border calli lab after menstruation pared an friendly for kids?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs