Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 10:17 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,439,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
People choose to get their animals from breeders or shelters for a variety of reasons. Last time I checked, this was a country where people are free to make the decisions they felt best for their family. Don't see where it is anyone's business but the Biden's.
Exactly! Freedom of choice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 10:27 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,439,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
Oh goodness could you get a little more dramatic
I don't see that it's being dramatic; it's being honest. Some people choose to not acknowledge the problem we have in the country. And if you'd like to continue to be oblivious, your choice. The rest of us have our eyes open and see what's going on and we choose to do something about it.

Some people are doers, some just don't care about anyone but themselves. But hey, it's a free country.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:29 AM

830 posts, read 2,713,763 times
Quote:
Oh goodness could you get a little more dramatic
If you want to see dramatic, go take a look for yourself.

It's not a stretch to look at the vast amount of waste of animals' lives in this country and the vast amount of "overproduction" and say to yourself "Hmm, I affect this".

Old 04-11-2009, 10:30 AM

830 posts, read 2,713,763 times
Quote:
Exactly! Freedom of choice!
Yes, the mantra of our nation. Above all, everyone should have the right to hurt others.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:30 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,354,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
I personally never said anyone had to. However, personally, I think it's a responsibility issue. If you plan on showing a dog or competing it in it's field of work that it was originally bred for, by all means buy a dog. I applaud those people. And for the record, that does not always mean it has an AKC certificate to go along with it. I've met some amazing true working dogs that aren't registered and they have been bred to other amazing working dogs to continue their lines so that the next generation of that dog has a greater chance of continuing to do the work it's ancestors were bred to do.

However, if you don't plan on that dog being anything more than a couch potato, I don't understand why you'd buy a dog. There are plenty dogs exactly like them in shelters being put to sleep every day. There are plenty in rescues that need homes and they've already been fully vetted, trained, S/N, etc. So why in the world would you continue to support breeders that are doing nothing more than continuing bad lines of dogs that have serious medical problems??

Again, totally your choice. But in all honesty I have very, very poor opinions of those that do it. Yep, it's a free country. Make your own poor decision. But don't expect me to respect you or to think you've made good choices. I just think it's irresponsible.
so people who do their homework and buy from a responsible breeder are irresponsible in your eyes?

just b/c you don't want a working dog or to show a dog doesn't mean a reputable breeder shouldn't be a good option. I had an old teacher that I was on very good speaking terms w/ get her last 2 GSDs from a breeder in Germany b/c all of her American bred GSDs (including 2 she got from a rescue) ended up w/ all sorts of health issue. her last American bred GSD was put to sleep at 9 or 10 years old and suffered from really bad hip dysplasia before then. some people prefer the more stable heath history of a line from a breeder.

true there are breed rescues, but you can't always find what you want or may work for you in a shelter or rescue. for example, a lot of people in different places have stated that Obama will have a hrd time finding a PWD in a shelter if he chose that breed. if the rumors are correct, he'll be adopting an older, returned dog. there wouldn't have been much of an issue w/ such a dog going to a shelter (good breeders require their dogs are returned) but he is doing the right thing by given it a home.

and let's not forget, some rescues and shelters put very strict requirements on adopters that can make it frustrating or downright impossible for some people to adopt. a lot of toy breed rescues won't adopt out a dog to a home w/ small kids. a lot of rescues have rules that require a fenced in yard, and some will refuse you if you do have a fenced in yard. some want to impose multiple home visits on potential adopters. a lot of rescues are making it as hard to adopt a dog as it is to adopt a child from some countries! I understand wanting to make sure the dog gets placed into a good, permanent home, but such tactics turn people off and a lot of these people end up w/ either a puppymill dog from a pet store, a BYB pup, or, hopefully, will look into a reputable breeder. reputable breeders will likely have their own set of standards, but they may be more likely to go on a case by case basis then a busy rescue

in the end, it's not a reputable breeder's fault there are so many pets being killed in shelters. their dogs don't end up in shelters and chances are most of the people who come to them may not be interested in a shelter dog. reputable breeders are still needed to improve the breed standards. there are a lot of breeds ruined by poor breeding, like GSDs, that need help, the type of help that can be gained by good breeders working to improve the breed. people who buy from such breeders aren't irresponsible, IMO, they're doing their homework and getting the breed and dog they feel is best for them, which should be their #1 priority. their #1 priority should not be trying to please PETA or anonymous people who will criticize their choices from the comforts of their own home

Old 04-11-2009, 10:31 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,478,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
I don't see that it's being dramatic; it's being honest. Some people choose to not acknowledge the problem we have in the country. And if you'd like to continue to be oblivious, your choice. The rest of us have our eyes open and see what's going on and we choose to do something about it.

Some people are doers, some just don't care about anyone but themselves. But hey, it's a free country.

So basically, anyone who makes a decision that is different than yours, for whatever personal reasons they may have, is just selfish? Got it.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcats View Post
Yes, the mantra of our nation. Above all, everyone should have the right to hurt others.

Oh good, maybe we can soon enact laws to legislate how people can get pets, then we can start legislating about children, cars, homes too. Because we all know that the government knows best about these things right? I think there's a place like that. It's called China.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:35 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,439,946 times
The problem is it gets very old with "rescuers" trying to shove their ideas down everyones throat. I am not against rescuing...done it...have a few myself...but I also have the right to go elsewhere if I so choose. I have donated more money and time then I care to even think about to various rescue org. But , if I choose to go to a rep. breeder for my next dog or cat...I will. JMO

Old 04-11-2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
The problem is it gets very old with "rescuers" trying to shove their ideas down everyones throat. I am not against rescuing...done it...have a few myself...but I also have the right to go elsewhere if I so choose. I have donated more money and time then I care to even think about to various rescue org. But , if I choose to go to a rep. breeder for my next dog or cat...I will. JMO
Exactly. I have done both also. For different reasons. I have no problem with either one. The one that is bad is buying from pet stores but I would never harass someone who made this choice. They usually end up having enough problems anyway.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:38 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,439,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
So basically, anyone who makes a decision that is different than yours, for whatever personal reasons they may have, is just selfish? Got it.
That's not what I said. It's a FACT that this country has serious problems with over population. Anyone that decides to buy a dog from a breeder even though they have no plans for it and allow others to be euthanized is quite honestly a self centered person. How can you possibly disagree with that? If you're looking for a pure bred dog that you don't plan on doing a thing with, why in the world would you buy one when there are others dying?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs