Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 12:17 PM

156 posts, read 318,569 times

Advertisements

In case anyone else has this problem. I called our vet and they suggested putting peroxide in his ear once a week. Or she said I can mix white vinegar and rubbing alcohol in a 1/2 and 1/2 mixture and put that in his ear. Hopefully this clears it up. Thanks everyone for all the advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 12:19 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,955,906 times
Often the local humane societies have low-cost clinics. Have you checked there?

Old 04-13-2009, 01:17 PM

Smile stuff in ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Often the local humane societies have low-cost clinics. Have you checked there?
Not yet. I live in Southern Ohio and there is only one vet down here close to me. I called them this morning but if the peroxide or vinegar and alchohol solution doesn't work I will give that a try. I didn't even think of that.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:22 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,439,946 times
If it is ear mites, the alcohol and probably the peroxide too will kill them. But if he has been scratching at them, the alcohol is going to burn.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
If it is ear mites, the alcohol and probably the peroxide too will kill them. But if he has been scratching at them, the alcohol is going to burn.
He does scratch at them a little bit but not real bad and definitely not constantly. He shakes his head more than he scratches. I haven't tried the alcohol yet, just the peroxide. I will give that a little while to see if it works. But looking inside of his ear it doesn't look red and irritated.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:08 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,439,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellimatt View Post
He does scratch at them a little bit but not real bad and definitely not constantly. He shakes his head more than he scratches. I haven't tried the alcohol yet, just the peroxide. I will give that a little while to see if it works. But looking inside of his ear it doesn't look red and irritated.
That's good...I hope the peroxide brings him some relief.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
That's good...I hope the peroxide brings him some relief.
Me too...thanks for your concern. He is definitely my baby and I hate to see him in any kind of pain.

I have never checked out any chat rooms or anything before so I'm very new at all of this. But I think it is so great to be able to get so much advice so quickly!

Old 04-13-2009, 06:50 PM

267 posts, read 885,867 times
Quote:
What type of dog do you have? I would be worried about Hematomas, but then again 3 of my dogs have gotten those in the past, so I always worry about them.

Hematomas are when a blood vessle on the dogs ear ruptures, causing a blood-filled bubble on the ear. They are caused from dogs scratching their ears or shaking their head. Try to do whatever you can to keep head-shaking and ear-scratching to a minimum! They surgery to correct them is painful for the dog and expensive for you (last time I had it happen the surgery was $400 for 1 ear...and that was years ago).

Old 04-14-2009, 06:04 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,093,326 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone for all of your help. I understand the people who say that if you can't afford to take the dog to the vet than you don't need to keep the dog. I have had him since he was 6 weeks old and he will be 10 years old in October. I was in a car accident 2 years ago and have been unable to work since then. All of my bills are suffering right now. I am not going to get rid of my dog because of hard times. I know he needs to go to the vet, but I was looking for something to do until I can get a couple of hundred dollars to take him. I love my dog and don't want to see him suffer. I will do whatever I have to do to help him.
You can make up a solution to flush his ears. 1/3 vinegar, 1/3 alcohol, 1/3 water. Fill up the ear canal with solution and massage it to break up the debris. Let him shake. Get some cotton balls and wipe it out very well. Make sure you get it very dry. Hopefully this helps.

OOPS, I didn't see the above post.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctoberMoon View Post
What type of dog do you have? I would be worried about Hematomas, but then again 3 of my dogs have gotten those in the past, so I always worry about them. Hematomas are when a blood vessle on the dogs ear ruptures, causing a blood-filled bubble on the ear. They are caused from dogs scratching their ears or shaking their head. Try to do whatever you can to keep head-shaking and ear-scratching to a minimum! They surgery to correct them is painful for the dog and expensive for you (last time I had it happen the surgery was $400 for 1 ear...and that was years ago).
Ok...now I'm a little more freaked out! My dog is a mutt. He is an adorable German Shepard and Doberman mix, I think. I was told he also has Rott & Husky (but I don't see those 2 breeds in him)! He does shake his head a little sometimes like he is trying to shake something out. When I see him doing that I always try to clean his ear out with my finger and a papertowel. That is when I found the black oily stuff. It really doesn't stink. And I don't think it's mites because I don't see any little bugs or anything. I have started using peroxide. He didn't like it very much, but he will forgive me. I just hope that is nothing that bad!!! SCARY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs