Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2009, 10:30 AM

1,118 posts, read 1,134,607 times

Advertisements

My male chi, Jack, is a bully...sometimes. He was a stray we adopted so we don't know his background, just that he shows signs of having been abused. He is very territorial and when one of our female dogs wants on the sofa too, he goes into attack mode. He also tries to steal kibble from my 12 year old when I hand each of them a few,which terrifies her. How to I deal with the damaged little guy without making it worse. We call him psycho dog, not to his face of course. Love him dearly, but the mini rages need to go. Advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 11:09 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,434,710 times
Find a trainer. I've got 5 chis and chi mixes in my house. One came to me because her owner was going into assisted living and her kids were going to put the dog to sleep because she was 'viscious'. Luckily the breeder got her and asked if I'd take her. I had her corrected in less than 5 minutes and now she's very sweet and out going.

I'd love to tell you how to correct the bahavior, but man do I ever suck at trying to put things to words! Watch Cesar Millan. I know a lot of people involved in training hate him because they say he makes a fortune off common sense, but to people that don't have a 20 year history with dogs, it's not really common sense, now is it?

Old 05-05-2009, 04:00 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,664,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Find a trainer. I've got 5 chis and chi mixes in my house. One came to me because her owner was going into assisted living and her kids were going to put the dog to sleep because she was 'viscious'. Luckily the breeder got her and asked if I'd take her. I had her corrected in less than 5 minutes and now she's very sweet and out going.

I'd love to tell you how to correct the bahavior, but man do I ever suck at trying to put things to words! Watch Cesar Millan. I know a lot of people involved in training hate him because they say he makes a fortune off common sense, but to people that don't have a 20 year history with dogs, it's not really common sense, now is it?
I agree here and with the right training just about any behavioral problem in a dog can be rectified. The dog was not born like this. It was inbred in it by the owner! Again, watch some episodes of Cesar Milan. He has alot involving Chihuahuas with behavioral problems. Good luck!

Old 05-06-2009, 06:41 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,097,080 times
okay I have two chis one male who is absoloutly the sweetest thing and would not hurt a fly and he loves everyone . the female however is a bit skidish and does not like very many people but she likes kids for some reason . we dont know her background we got her from a foster sittuation . I suggest to you everytime he tries to steal put him down on the ground dont let him stay in the same spot where the incident occured . Put him down on the floor if the incident continues in a chair put him on a seperate area again they understand this more so than one would think . these chis are extrememly intelligent and grasp rather quickly what is going on and they do understand repetitive motions and they understand when they are being punished and when they are being rewarded . I would suggest you do watch ceasar and see what he does with misbehaving chis . good luck .

Old 05-06-2009, 05:44 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,664,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
okay I have two chis one male who is absoloutly the sweetest thing and would not hurt a fly and he loves everyone . the female however is a bit skidish and does not like very many people but she likes kids for some reason . we dont know her background we got her from a foster sittuation . I suggest to you everytime he tries to steal put him down on the ground dont let him stay in the same spot where the incident occured . Put him down on the floor if the incident continues in a chair put him on a seperate area again they understand this more so than one would think . these chis are extrememly intelligent and grasp rather quickly what is going on and they do understand repetitive motions and they understand when they are being punished and when they are being rewarded . I would suggest you do watch ceasar and see what he does with misbehaving chis . good luck .
Before I rescued my Chi I did some research. I then wanted a male. The males are a little sweeter. The females seem to be a bit nippy and protective of the owner. When I was a child, my piano teacher had a female and when I went over for my lessons, she had to lock her up. It would bite at your ankles. It did bite me once. Also the little female breeds do seem to have housetraining issues. The males will always lift a leg! My little guy is the sweetest and cutest thing. I get so many compliments on his personality. He does the cutest little wiggles and squeaky noise when he sees little kids, he luvvvvvvvvvvvvs them!

Last edited by Blondie621; 05-06-2009 at 05:54 PM..

Old 05-07-2009, 11:58 AM

1,118 posts, read 1,134,607 times
I've had mostly females, and they've been protective sure, but they have been best buddies too, and lovable and cuddlers. My little boy now, as I said was a stray found on our street that no one came forward and claimed despite posted notices. He was tiny and scared and oh so cute. And, before we realized it, he had decorated our fairly new floor length drapes with an even brown line about 3 inches above the ground. The whole length. We did not know this was going on, he did it when no one was around. Then the Jeckyl/Hyde routine started up. Yeah, he needs a trainer, my husband is inconsistant at best and I can't do it alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs