Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 02:35 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,981,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LingLing View Post
Many types of bacteria that cause UTI is transmitted through the blood, as well as the lymphatic system. The bacteria can enter the system through the surgical site and travel through blood or lymphatic system to reach bladder. Due to PH in bladder, bacteria can further grown and result in UTI.

I am a Ph.D in Microbiology and Molecular Biology. I have a NIH grant studying how bacteria travel within human body. As I stated before, unless bacteria in both dogs were subtyped, no one will know for sure.

One more thing, it sounds like your clinic practices good sterilization techinique. If I live in your neighborhood, I will definitely give your clinic a try.
Interesting! I was under the impression you were talking about a more direct introduction of the bacteria into the urinary tract. What you're actually talking about makes a lot more sense to me. One definitely has to be careful, there are veterinary clinics that don't pay as much attention to sterility as they should. I've always been sort of a stickler on that point. If bacteria did enter the blood or lymphatic system during surgery, how long afterword would you expect to see a bladder infection? How likely is it that the bacteria would travel and cause an infection without causing a local infection at the surgical site? I can't tell you how thrilled I would be if your work helped veterinarians prevent post-surgical bladder infections. The ones I work with do read human as well as veterinary literature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 09:12 AM

1,257 posts, read 4,577,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas sky View Post
If bacteria did enter the blood or lymphatic system during surgery, how long afterword would you expect to see a bladder infection? How likely is it that the bacteria would travel and cause an infection without causing a local infection at the surgical site? I can't tell you how thrilled I would be if your work helped veterinarians prevent post-surgical bladder infections. The ones I work with do read human as well as veterinary literature.
Excellent questions!!! Sometime, the strain of bacteria is a direct cause of UTI. Sometime, the strain of bacteria simply causes imbalance of the bacteria population in bladder. As soon as the existing bacteria sense invaders, the bacteria may release a defense toxin that may mount an inflammation response, leading to UTI. Depends on the situation, the symptom of UTI can be shown in a short period of time or have a time lag. The study we are doing is to understand how certain strains of bacteria penetrate into tissue through cell to cell junction. How do certain strains of bacteria hide inside cells to evade antibiotics? All studies are focused on human disease.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:45 AM

5 posts, read 9,558 times
I just had two dogs neutered/spayed yesterday. The shy one, a Chi/Pin came home happy and playful. The outgoing one, a Jack Russel mix, is now walking very slowly and just stops and stares... for a long time (probably 20 mins). He doesn't respond to anyone. He just stares. What should I do?

Old 03-02-2011, 09:48 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,437,357 times
Call the vet. Maybe his system isn't clearing out the sedative? But he shouldn't be so doped up by now. The vet shouldn't charge you to look him over after surgery.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Call the vet. Maybe his system isn't clearing out the sedative? But he shouldn't be so doped up by now. The vet shouldn't charge you to look him over after surgery.
I've got an appointment for both dogs at MY vet but they can't see them until tomorrow. Think that would be okay? I'm worried that the "assigned" vet for the shelter might have given him too much sedative or there was a lack of oxygen. He wasn't like this in the shelter.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:34 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,437,357 times
Just got back on the computer. Hope he's perking up by now, but if not I'd call your vet again and explain the situation, and if they can't see him contact the shelter vet. Better safe than sorry. Fingers crossed for you and your new pups.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:20 PM

3,751 posts, read 12,412,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaBB49 View Post
I've got an appointment for both dogs at MY vet but they can't see them until tomorrow. Think that would be okay? I'm worried that the "assigned" vet for the shelter might have given him too much sedative or there was a lack of oxygen. He wasn't like this in the shelter.
He should be ok. Look at his gums and make sure that they are pink. Some dogs take longer coming out of anesthisia than other. Our Lab has a really hard time throwing off the effects. Don't worry too much and have them checked out in the morning

Old 03-04-2011, 07:58 AM

Hi everyone and thanks for the comments. I took my new dogs to my vet yesterday and it appears the "contracted" vet did a butcher job on the spay and neuter. My Russel's neuter got infected but the kicker is, the "contacted" vet gave me antibiotics for kennel cough but told me it was for the after-spay and neuter! The dogs had nothing to protect them from infection. "Jack" and "Jilly" are now on the meds they are supposed to be on and are doing much better but I now have to get the sloppy staples out of them next week. Sorry about the rant, but I hate it when animals (and humans) are treated poorly.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:59 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,041,951 times
bless their little hearts.... and yours!!

glad they are on the mend now....

please keep us posted on their progress.... and oh, btw.... pictures are mandatory around here.....

Old 03-04-2011, 02:24 PM

3,751 posts, read 12,412,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
bless their little hearts.... and yours!!

glad they are on the mend now....

please keep us posted on their progress.... and oh, btw.... pictures are mandatory around here.....
Ditto on the good wishes and double ditto on the pics We love pics......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs