Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2010, 12:59 AM

740 posts, read 1,233,416 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if this should be here or in the renting forum. I am trying to find an apartment and keep getting asked what breed my dogs are. They are 100% street dogs and not from the US, so no pure-breed is in the mix. I had been calling them "shepherd mix", figuring at some point some ancestor likely chased a sheep, but was told by a rental agent "shepherd" is a description that turns off landlords. So I'd like the C-D folk to help me come up with a breed for them. Here they are:
Attached Thumbnails
What breed is closest to my dogs?-what-breed-we-4-20-2008  
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 01:11 AM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
I would guess Collie Mixes.... But I cant tell how tall they are.... Could you messure from the shoulder to floor when they are standing? What Country are they from?

Old 03-11-2010, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I would guess Collie Mixes.... But I cant tell how tall they are.... Could you messure from the shoulder to floor when they are standing? What Country are they from?
About 25 in at the shoulder. The yellow one is from Afghanistan and the black one is from Turkey.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:49 AM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
The dogs their have names I cant pronounce much less spell LOL And most would not understand the breeds any way. Soo For renting sake call them Collie Mixes. Lots of places now are breed banding do to insurance. So while the brown one Looks like a Collie Shepherd the saying Shepherd Might keep you from being able to rent! The other one puts me in mind of a dog here in town the guy rescued off the streets of some country he visited...Very sweet dog. Anyway There are Smooth [short haired] collies..so for renting I would say that what he is.

Some pics of Collie Mixes....http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...dog&FORM=IGRE#

Old 03-11-2010, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
The dogs their have names I cant pronounce much less spell LOL And most would not understand the breeds any way. Soo For renting sake call them Collie Mixes. Lots of places now are breed banding do to insurance. So while the brown one Looks like a Collie Shepherd the saying Shepherd Might keep you from being able to rent! The other one puts me in mind of a dog here in town the guy rescued off the streets of some country he visited...Very sweet dog. Anyway There are Smooth [short haired] collies..so for renting I would say that what he is.

Some pics of Collie Mixes....</title></head>"+"<body onload='if (!window.parent.StateManager || window.parent.StateManager.frameSaving) return;"+"window.parent.StateManager.restore(decod eURIComponent(document.body.innerText));'>"+enc(b) +"</body></html>");c.close();a.frameSaving=
Collie mix it is! And collie has a good association, as in Lassie

If I didn't know better, I'd think this was a picture of the black one as a pup http://upsidedowndogs.com/wp-content...ie_Mix_dog.jpg

Old 03-11-2010, 02:17 AM

11,259 posts, read 11,028,294 times
I have found that the breeds that are most often rejected for potential renters or from obtaining home insurance are these:

Pit Bulls
Akitas
Chows
Rottweilers
Anything with wolf mix

I'm sure there are others as well. I was told that the reason has something to do with the way their jaws can lock. It seems silly to me, but I guess rules are rules.

In my opinion, dogs are only as good as their owners raise them to be.

Old 03-11-2010, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
I have found that the breeds that are most often rejected for potential renters or from obtaining home insurance are these:

Pit Bulls
Akitas
Chows
Rottweilers
Anything with wolf mix

I'm sure there are others as well. I was told that the reason has something to do with the way their jaws can lock. It seems silly to me, but I guess rules are rules.

Definitely. And I also dislike breed specific bans. Any dog in the hands of a bad owner can do harm.

Old 03-11-2010, 05:02 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,425,493 times
Actually the tan one looks like it might have some saluki in it - they're not an uncommon breed in the deserts over there - the black one looks like it might have border collie in it - I'm sure both dogs have interesting stories to tell, if they could talk (how you came to adopt them).

Old 03-11-2010, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
Actually the tan one looks like it might have some saluki in it - they're not an uncommon breed in the deserts over there - the black one looks like it might have border collie in it - I'm sure both dogs have interesting stories to tell, if they could talk (how you came to adopt them).
You are right on the possible saluki related genes. I just googled some pictures/videos and there is a strong resemblance on both looks and gait. The Afghanistan dogs definitely has some tales, I am sure The Turkish one probably has a few, but she was only 3 mos when I got her

Old 03-11-2010, 06:38 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post

Pit Bulls
Akitas
Chows
Rottweilers
Anything with wolf mix

the idea that any breed can have locking jaws is a myth.

basically, those breeds are often restricted because they're seen as dangerous, aggressive dogs. see any bsl thread for more info. i'm with you; 99% of the time (i will admit that some dogs do seem to just be born with a screw loose, but it's nothing to do with breed), a dog's behavior is entirely attributable to the owner or a former owner.

wolf hybrids are a somewhat different story though - they are much, much closer to wild animals than a domestic dog (most domestic dogs are over 10,000 years removed from the wild!). i don't think they should be banned, but they are different from typical domestic dogs and this needs to be taken into account.

collie mix sounds good! as far as i'm concerned, if you have well-behaved dogs, say whatever you need to say to get around those silly policies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs