Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 07:30 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,916,812 times

Advertisements

Since they don't look like 2 of the same breed, how about collie mix and Saluki?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 07:32 AM

5,017 posts, read 10,726,982 times
Your black dog is a border collie mix. I have absolutely no idea what your golden is but I would call him/her a retriever mix (that would be my guess anyway).
There is absolutely no reason anyone should deny you an apartment b/c of either one of these dogs, which makes me wonder about where you are moving to. I have a 95 lb. GSD and I am able to rent at a complex. I would consider renting privately and I would try to find someone who asks about the dogs' temperaments rather than their breeds!

Old 03-11-2010, 07:48 AM

740 posts, read 1,234,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Your black dog is a border collie mix. I have absolutely no idea what your golden is but I would call him/her a retriever mix (that would be my guess anyway).
There is absolutely no reason anyone should deny you an apartment b/c of either one of these dogs, which makes me wonder about where you are moving to. I have a 95 lb. GSD and I am able to rent at a complex. I would consider renting privately and I would try to find someone who asks about the dogs' temperaments rather than their breeds!
I'm moving to Phoenix and am having issues because of having 3 pets 2 of which are dogs over 50 lbs. Now that you mention it, no one has asked about their behavior, just what breed they are

Old 03-11-2010, 09:06 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,296,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoidmary View Post
I'm moving to Phoenix and am having issues because of having 3 pets 2 of which are dogs over 50 lbs. Now that you mention it, no one has asked about their behavior, just what breed they are
See if getting references from your current landlord, neighbors, veterinarian etc. etc would be of any help.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:32 PM

11,323 posts, read 11,082,043 times
Quote:
They do not care about their behavior or demeanor. Certain breeds are just a quick disqualifier at many corporate renting/leasing offices. They have a list of those breeds that they find unacceptable and they are black and white with the enforcement of their rules. The woman at the rental office probably cant even give you a valid reason for the denial if you were to ask. She is just following orders from corporate higher-ups.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:52 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,378,220 times
When my sheltie died .... The Rental insurance co I was with asked me what I replaced her with...I said Min Pin...Sorry We can No Longer insure you WTHeck???? They asso the tiny Min Pin With the Larger German Pins & Dobies GRRRRRR Lucky my LL waivered the insurance or we would have been homeless!!

Old 03-13-2010, 12:11 AM

740 posts, read 1,234,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
They do not care about their behavior or demeanor. Certain breeds are just a quick disqualifier at many corporate renting/leasing offices. They have a list of those breeds that they find unacceptable and they are black and white with the enforcement of their rules. The woman at the rental office probably cant even give you a valid reason for the denial if you were to ask. She is just following orders from corporate higher-ups.
This is why I am trying to find a user friendly definition for my dogs because they are essentially breedless because in Afghanistan and Turkey pure-breeds are rare.. I'm leaning towards collie mix for the black one and saluki/Afghan hound mix for the yellow one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
When my sheltie died .... The Rental insurance co I was with asked me what I replaced her with...I said Min Pin...Sorry We can No Longer insure you WTHeck???? They asso the tiny Min Pin With the Larger German Pins & Dobies GRRRRRR Lucky my LL waivered the insurance or we would have been homeless!!
That is amazingly stupid Thank god you have a nice landlord!

Old 03-13-2010, 12:53 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,887,953 times
Hummmmm, we have two, a father/daughter (spayed) German Shepherds and one, genuine rescue mutt puppy, she can, with head held high, walk under the Shepherds. And, of course a fixed Tom cat that has no fear of dogs.

Old 03-13-2010, 02:18 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,378,220 times
Yep they sure can be stupid!

Old 03-13-2010, 07:42 AM

553 posts, read 1,274,131 times
Quote:
If your dog has it's CGC (Canine Good Citizen) designation, that can help. The great thing about CGC is that it is not just for purebreds.

My GSD/Lab has his and we used it to help in looking for apartments that discriminated against certain breeds, even mixes of certain breeds.

Good Luck!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs