Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 03:25 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times

Advertisements

I can't get our dog to eat hard pet food. He will if he's starving, but that's about it. He's very picky. I don't want to feed him wet/soft pet food so I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a brand that is both healthy and tasty.

I've tried Purina One, Beneful, Kibbles and Bits, and a few others; he doesn't like any of them.

BTW, he's a Rat Terrier a little over a year old if that makes any difference. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 03:39 PM

751 posts, read 2,481,145 times
I hate to tell you this but those are all poor quality foods. You will have better luck with the more expensive food - they have meat as the first, second and third ingredients. You can still find better mid priced foods if price is an issue. Check out www.dogfoodanalysis.com

My girl wont eat her food without some canned food mixed in it. I tried to stop using it and she didn't eat for 5 days! Some of the dog foods will send you trial sizes, you could check into a few and see if there is anything he likes better. Or maybe you know other people who use something you havent tried and they would be willing to give you a cup to try.

I use Taste of the Wild, it is $45 for a 30# bag. I just switched so I have no idea how long the bag will last yet.

I hope you find something that he thinks is worthy.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:51 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,217,304 times
I have to agree with 1phwalls...those foods you mentioned are horrible!! (no offense)

Anything on the dog food analysis website rated a 4 to 6 star (6 being the best) will be excellent nutriton for your pooch.

EVO, Innova, Solid Gold, Merrick are all great foods. Chicken soup for the dog's soul is a good food and is resonably priced, I have some friends who seem pretty happy with that. It's cheaper but good quality food.

Just curious why does it have to be "dry" food??? I'm not for canned food but we soak our dogs dry kibble in hot water for a few minutes to allow it to swell up before we feed it to our dogs. Our dogs never need their teeth cleaned because the food doesn't stick to their teeth like dry kibble does.

Raw food is also an excellent way to feed a picky eater.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:04 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
My dog, Artie, is a VERY finicky eater AND he's grain intolerant.

He loves Wellness Core ($60 for 26 pounds, so he's eating better than us) and I started giving him some Taste of the Wild - venison/bison flavor ($45 for 30 pounds) and he's loving that too. In fact, he eats the TOTW stuff like I'm giving him treats.

They are both 5- or 6-star rated foods (I don't remember which), they're grain-free, and while they're expensive, they're good quality AND he needs to be fed less of it. So, while you'll probably still pay more for it, it lasts a bit longer.

If you Google the two foods and contact the companies, they'll send you samples. That way, you can see if your pup likes them before you fork out the bucks for a big bag of either of them.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:47 PM

Thank you ALL for the comments! Those foods must be poor quality, because he hates them, and I want him to be healthy and happy. Even though I have been unemployed (recently re-employed), extra money on the food that is good for him and makes him happy is worth it to me. I REALLY appreciate all of the comments and will follow up on your recommendations.
Thanks!

Old 05-06-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamChasers8 View Post
I have to agree with 1phwalls...those foods you mentioned are horrible!! (no offense)

Anything on the dog food analysis website rated a 4 to 6 star (6 being the best) will be excellent nutriton for your pooch.

EVO, Innova, Solid Gold, Merrick are all great foods. Chicken soup for the dog's soul is a good food and is resonably priced, I have some friends who seem pretty happy with that. It's cheaper but good quality food.

Just curious why does it have to be "dry" food??? I'm not for canned food but we soak our dogs dry kibble in hot water for a few minutes to allow it to swell up before we feed it to our dogs. Our dogs never need their teeth cleaned because the food doesn't stick to their teeth like dry kibble does.

Raw food is also an excellent way to feed a picky eater.
It's not that the food being wet is any kind of an issue. It's because of the pet deaths awhile back that were all caused by canned, wet dog food.

If there is some canned dog food that is healthy and nutritious and won't make him overweight (and not something from China), then I'm all open to feeding him canned food as well.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:17 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,449,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I can't get our dog to eat hard pet food. He will if he's starving, but that's about it. He's very picky. I don't want to feed him wet/soft pet food so I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a brand that is both healthy and tasty.

I've tried Purina One, Beneful, Kibbles and Bits, and a few others; he doesn't like any of them.

BTW, he's a Rat Terrier a little over a year old if that makes any difference. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!
Hi Synopsis!

Wellness is a good brand of dry food.

I like Wellness canned, too, but I realize it gets expensive. Of course, you can always buy chicken on sale and supplement your commercial diet with raw food. Throw him a raw chicken thigh or neck (yum!) and let him eat the whole thing with the bone. Crunch, crunch, crunch. Chicken hearts, livers (not too much liver at once), and gizzards are all good, too. Raw egg yolks are also full of nutrition, but cook the white part.

Some folks are fearful of feeding raw food to dogs, and you'll hear horror stories about bacteria and bones not going down, etc. But people who do feed raw, swear by it. Keeps their teeth clean and gives them nice poops.

I am a big on feeding people food to dogs. Leftover egg on your plate? Feed it to the dog. Steamed veggies are also great. Little chunks of cooked sweet potato are yummy. These are all good food for dogs, and wonderful supplements to commercial food.

W.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
My dog, Artie, is a VERY finicky eater AND he's grain intolerant.

He loves Wellness Core ($60 for 26 pounds, so he's eating better than us) and I started giving him some Taste of the Wild - venison/bison flavor ($45 for 30 pounds) and he's loving that too. In fact, he eats the TOTW stuff like I'm giving him treats.

They are both 5- or 6-star rated foods (I don't remember which), they're grain-free, and while they're expensive, they're good quality AND he needs to be fed less of it. So, while you'll probably still pay more for it, it lasts a bit longer.

If you Google the two foods and contact the companies, they'll send you samples. That way, you can see if your pup likes them before you fork out the bucks for a big bag of either of them.
I'm going to go to Pet O Rama, just a mile down the road and buy some Taste of the Wild; a small package to make sure he likes it (I have a feeling he will).

Thanks!

Old 05-06-2009, 05:25 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,449,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
It's not that the food being wet is any kind of an issue. It's because of the pet deaths awhile back that were all caused by canned, wet dog food.
Yes, thank you. And I believe we can expect more tainted food as pet food makers cut corners in their continued struggle to turn a profit.

Again, this is why I encourage raw, natural foods.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:25 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
My dog hates all kibble. Yes, she is darn spoiled. Even the Wellness...I can't just 'leave it' either and hopes she will eventually eat...she will just not eat...She'd rather eat sticks, rocks, lint, feathers, acorns...than her expensive kibble.

I supplement with 'people food.' Tonight she had some veggies, some left over macaroni (plain) and a bit of meat with her kibble.

Has anyone tried "Chicken Soup For the Soul?" Last time I was at the feed store, someone was asking a clerk about it and the guy was talking it up big time.

Good luck Synopsis...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs