Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 02:45 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,218,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i buy Innova EVO for my dog. it is expensive but i figure if it reduces health problems in the long run it will be worth it (not just from a financial perspective). i found it by searching the internet and finding a pet food review site. it gave this food its top ranking so i bought it. i am happy to spend the additional money for a quality food.

Good for you and your dogs...EVO is an excellent food!!! Our dogs love it almost as much as they love their raw bones and raw meats. It's good stuff and I love how it's grain free and actually based on the "whole animal prey raw diet" cause it includes the animals' bones, muscles, connective tissues, skin etc. EVO Premium Dog Food, Natural Cat Food, Healthy Dog Treats – Natura Pet Products
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 08:03 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,721,342 times
i send my wife to pick up the food. she says its 60 something for a big bag. i figure that could be one dinner out for me and my wife. its silly for me to not spend that on her.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:19 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,907,489 times
I am using Natures Recipe Puppy right now. I got it b/c of the no corn, no fillers, meat is the first ingredient factors, but I am not that thrilled with it.

Right next to it at the store is the Blue Buffalo line, and I almost picked some up to do the switch. I have also considered Taste of the Wild or Natural Balance (not sure if I got the name right - the Dick VanPatten food).

I am currently paying $23 for a 20 lb bag. But the guidelines call for me to feed him about 6 cups per day, which is more than many other foods, so I think its a false economy. I'd rather not break the bank on the food, but I also want to give him something that agrees with his digestive system a little better.

Out of the three I mentioned, any personal experience/reviews? I want to get something I can get at a Petco or Petsmart, since they are convenient enough to me to visit once a month.

Thanks.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:31 PM

91 posts, read 315,809 times
We feed both of our dogs (a chihuahua and a terrier mix) EVO (http://www.evopet.com/products/default.asp?id=1488 - broken link). When we started them on the EVO we would mix it in (so that the extra protein wouldn't hurt their stomachs) and the chihuahua picked out the Pro Plan and left it on the floor next to the bowl. That sold us on EVO; obviously the dogs love it and it's better for them.

Also, the EVO for a 6.6 lb. bag only costs $14.99 at our local pet food store while the Pro Plan Natural Selects Beef was $12.99 for a 6 lb. bag and they eat a significantly less amount of the EVO.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:20 AM

807 posts, read 2,516,562 times
Our new Corgi liked Science Diet,hated IAMS,and absolutely loves Eukanuba! He can't get enough of the Eukanuba!

Old 05-21-2009, 05:30 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,544,846 times
My westie has skins issues; we feed him Natural Balance. He likes it more if we put a little Fish Oil on it - which helps with his skin inflammation issues. Olive Oil too; he loves them both!

Old 05-21-2009, 06:11 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,922,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
I am using Natures Recipe Puppy right now. I got it b/c of the no corn, no fillers, meat is the first ingredient factors, but I am not that thrilled with it.

Right next to it at the store is the Blue Buffalo line, and I almost picked some up to do the switch. I have also considered Taste of the Wild or Natural Balance (not sure if I got the name right - the Dick VanPatten food).

I am currently paying $23 for a 20 lb bag. But the guidelines call for me to feed him about 6 cups per day, which is more than many other foods, so I think its a false economy. I'd rather not break the bank on the food, but I also want to give him something that agrees with his digestive system a little better.

Out of the three I mentioned, any personal experience/reviews? I want to get something I can get at a Petco or Petsmart, since they are convenient enough to me to visit once a month.

Thanks.

I tried the Natures Recipe, gave my boy really bad diarrhea, have not tried the Van Patten food, but the Blue Buffalo they both loved. I never had to had anything extra with the food.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:30 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,907,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpaw View Post
I tried the Natures Recipe, gave my boy really bad diarrhea, have not tried the Van Patten food, but the Blue Buffalo they both loved. I never had to had anything extra with the food.
Yeah - he has firm poops for the most part, but occasionally it gets runny. And the poop smells worse than on the old food (IAMS).

Old 05-23-2009, 03:57 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,682,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i buy Innova EVO for my dog. it is expensive but i figure if it reduces health problems in the long run it will be worth it (not just from a financial perspective). i found it by searching the internet and finding a pet food review site. it gave this food its top ranking so i bought it. i am happy to spend the additional money for a quality food.
And it's those sudden $5,000 + vet bills that always pop up when no one expects it.
Our dogs suffered from all kinds of itching and hot-spots and ear issues, only to be on a bunch of drugs (predisone/steriods), which took their toll on the livers/kidneys. It will all "catch" up eventually if we don't do our own research.

PS Steroids are for hulking ballplayers to hit 5,000 mile-long homers-- not our carnivorous companion animals!

It may have already been posted, but www.dogfoodanalysis.com is UNBIASED site which lists every ingredient of every food (right off the bags/cans) and just states the (unbiased) facts "in Plain English")

Old 05-23-2009, 04:23 PM

136 posts, read 379,052 times
i guess i need to catch up here, i hope i am feeding the right stuff to my dogs, i stay away from the science stuff and the iams but what about nutro natural choice? can you give me your opinions on that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs