Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 02:00 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,220,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpaw View Post
Well guess I'm guilty. Our English Bulldog lived to be 12, which is old for a bully, he was on purina one. My shepherd was on purina pro plan because I tried other kinds of so called high end foods and that was the only one that helped with his hot spots, ear infections and eye goop. People should be able to feed their dogs what works for them without people like you telling them that they are abusing there dogs.
Please understand that Glitch is simply saying that your dog or cat is actually a carnivore and with some very simple education you can read the labels and see that your Purina is not a species appropriate diet.

You wouldn't feed your child McDonalds every meal of every day would you? Same basic principal! Sure they could live on it but not very well... commercial foods like Iams, Nutro, Purina, Pedigree and Science Diet are more like poisons than nutrtional foods for any canine or feline. If you don't believe us look it up. Check out Raw feeding or even better quality kibbles like EVO, Orijen, Merrick etc.

If you are simply looking for the cheapest possible food to feed your pet, then maybe you shouldn't own one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 06:25 AM

603 posts, read 1,949,096 times
What is the best but most inexpensive food??I browsed a little online but some is VERY expensive.5.5lb bag of orijen is15.00!!15lb bag is over $30.Thats a LOT.I understand its great food but my god.Im another one that fed my dogs the "commercial" brands.Never had any issues with allergies or anything else.Just lost dogs over the years to old age.They all have perfect body weight,shiny shint coats,seem very happy to me.Of course some dogs do need the better food.Some breeds are obviously more prone to certain things and not every dog is the same.I do understand you are only trying to educate people and i think thats great but i do think you can just be a little more polite about it.People should NOT be accused of abusing their animals because they dont spend an enormous amount of money on food.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:54 AM

3,074 posts, read 4,731,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamChasers8 View Post
Eukanuba is full of corn and fillers, even if your dogs like it, it really is bad food. Check out the rating it received on www.dogfoodanalysis.com
There is also nutritional information on there about the ingredients you don't want in your dog's food and the harm that they can cause. I learned a lot from this site.

Whole dog Journal list top dog foods and they go to the place it's made since you can not trust everyone. I would never feed my dog Science diet it's crap. I feed By Nature Organic Chicken made in Vermont and has never been on a recall list. Educate yourself about food it's really important for your dog.

Carrie

Old 05-20-2009, 07:15 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,924,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamChasers8 View Post
Please understand that Glitch is simply saying that your dog or cat is actually a carnivore and with some very simple education you can read the labels and see that your Purina is not a species appropriate diet.

You wouldn't feed your child McDonalds every meal of every day would you? Same basic principal! Sure they could live on it but not very well... commercial foods like Iams, Nutro, Purina, Pedigree and Science Diet are more like poisons than nutrtional foods for any canine or feline. If you don't believe us look it up. Check out Raw feeding or even better quality kibbles like EVO, Orijen, Merrick etc.

If you are simply looking for the cheapest possible food to feed your pet, then maybe you shouldn't own one.

Duly Noted

Old 05-20-2009, 08:25 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,480,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcrazy View Post
What is the best but most inexpensive food??I browsed a little online but some is VERY expensive.5.5lb bag of orijen is15.00!!15lb bag is over $30.Thats a LOT.I understand its great food but my god.Im another one that fed my dogs the "commercial" brands.Never had any issues with allergies or anything else.Just lost dogs over the years to old age.They all have perfect body weight,shiny shint coats,seem very happy to me.Of course some dogs do need the better food.Some breeds are obviously more prone to certain things and not every dog is the same.I do understand you are only trying to educate people and i think thats great but i do think you can just be a little more polite about it.People should NOT be accused of abusing their animals because they dont spend an enormous amount of money on food.
I pay $1.26/pound for Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul, or just under $45 for a 35 pound bag (that includes shipping to Alaska). In addition, since it is a higher quality kibble, my dogs require less than they would cheap poor quality kibble, and they produce less waste because they are able to digest more of what they eat.

When you also take into consideration that corn, wheat, and other grains and fillers in poor quality kibble is the leading cause of skin and fur problems in dogs, a high quality kibble could actually be less expensive in the long-run after you factor in the vet bills.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:37 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,077,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
When you also take into consideration that corn, wheat, and other grains and fillers in poor quality kibble is the leading cause of skin and fur problems in dogs, a high quality kibble could actually be less expensive in the long-run after you factor in the vet bills.
I totally agree. I highly suspect that Artie is grain intolerant, so I've switched him to Wellness Core ($60 for 26 pounds) and Taste of the Wild ($47 for 30 pounds) -- he alternates between the two so that he doesn't get bored.

Previously, I fed him crap (I didn't know it was crap at the time) and he had to be starving before he ate. I didn't know that he was shunning his food because of allergies; I just thought he was finicky.

The savings:

Because I don't have to supplement his food with "other food" (rice, veggies, chicken, whatever) to get him to eat his kibble, I'm saving $ on the extras.

Because he's only eating kibble now, I've noticed a significant decrease in tartar on his teeth, so I suspect that he will not have to get his teeth cleaned. More savings.

Because his poop is (finally!) now firm -- because he's no longer getting the grains in his diet to which his tummy was intolerant -- his anal sacs express naturally, not with "help" from the vet. He'd have that done twice or three times per year. Now he doesn't need it. More savings.

Fact is, even if there were no $ savings, I'd be happy just knowing that he's (a) enjoying his food and (b) eating food that's healthy for him and (c) eating something that doesn't upset his stomach. It's a win-win.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:20 PM

603 posts, read 1,949,096 times
after reading all of these post i can honestly say that i did not realize how the more expensive foods can benefit in the long run.I've just never had any problem with the food i've been feeding my guys forever.That's why i probably won't switch.Obviously if i have a problem i have to do whats right for my dogs.If there is something wrong i will deal with it,but until then im sticking with what i have.I'm lucky i can still afford to take care of my babies as many people cannot anymore especially because of this economy.Thanks for all the good info.

Old 05-20-2009, 02:10 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,768,542 times
i buy Innova EVO for my dog. it is expensive but i figure if it reduces health problems in the long run it will be worth it (not just from a financial perspective). i found it by searching the internet and finding a pet food review site. it gave this food its top ranking so i bought it. i am happy to spend the additional money for a quality food.

Old 05-20-2009, 02:32 PM

36 posts, read 50,177 times
I feed my dogs Taste of the Wild: Roasted Fowl flavor. Both of them love it (one JRT/Doxie mix and a Who-Knows mix). Saidy (my purebred mutt ) still needs to go in to get her sacs expressed once a month, but that is because of a malformation of the ducts. It doesn't have much to do with her diet. Though the vet has commented that the sacs are less full then they used to be.

As for Mac, my JRT/Doxie: He will eat anything that doesn't bite back too hard, but he seems to really like this dog food. And he's only 7 months old and it's just fine for him.

According to the "scale" posted earlier, the food that I'm feeding them scores a 121. I would say that it good.

Here are the ingredients:
Ingredients
Duck, duck meal, chicken meal, egg product, sweet potatoes, peas, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), potatoes, roasted quail, roasted duck, smoked turkey, natural flavor, tomato pomace, ocean fish meal, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, dried fermentation products of Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei and Lactobacillus plantarum, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

I actually started the search for a corn free / grain free food because Saidy is allergic to corn. I'm glad I found this. Yes, it costs a bit more, but the 30lb bag will last me about 3 weeks. I'll make the sacrifice elsewhere if needed.

Old 05-20-2009, 02:36 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,220,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
Whole dog Journal list top dog foods and they go to the place it's made since you can not trust everyone. I would never feed my dog Science diet it's crap. I feed By Nature Organic Chicken made in Vermont and has never been on a recall list. Educate yourself about food it's really important for your dog.

Carrie
I think you need to go back and re-read my post.

I am constantly studying animal nutrition and completely agree that Science Diet is horrible food. The only real way to make an unbiased rating on food is to go solely on the ingredients in the food. No food can be better than the ingredients it is made from.

So to reply to your remark, I have educated myself quite well regarding the nutritional needs of canines. And all of my dogs do very well on their Raw Meat, Raw Meaty Bones and Premium kibble such as EVO! Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs