Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 01:03 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,220,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
My Sibe is eating Eukanuba's Venison and Potato. Seems to like it.

I often add water to the scoop of food, then warm it up in the microwave for about 30 seconds. The warm water makes a "gravy" that Bandit likes, but mostly it softens the food which makes it easier for him to digest.

Eukanuba is full of corn and fillers, even if your dogs like it, it really is bad food. Check out the rating it received on www.dogfoodanalysis.com
There is also nutritional information on there about the ingredients you don't want in your dog's food and the harm that they can cause. I learned a lot from this site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 03:05 AM

403 posts, read 1,326,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamChasers8 View Post
Orijen is an excellent food a bit pricey but great. Just a note, gas does not equal anything bad (contrary to what our noses tell us ) it's actually a sign of a good healthy gut, you shouldn't switch their diet based soley on gas. Gas just comes with being a mammal
Orijen actually works out to be the same price as what we are feeding them now, and it's supposed to be a better food. Besides, if you lived with these two you may not be saying that! If the smell can wake me up out of a dead sleep in the middle of the night, 2 floors up , then it's BAD, LOL. I've gone down there many times to see if someone had an accident, but nope!

Old 05-08-2009, 12:35 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,220,091 times
OMG...LOL...too funny, you really do have a couple of stinkers huh? Well I hope for both of ya'lls sake that the Orijen works out better in the stinky department. It really is an awesome food. I'd bye it but am feeding 4 Giant Malamutes and 1 mutt, and the bag's are smaller than what I am using now even though it's the same price. I like EVO and Solid Gold (EVO's better though)
Hope your days and nights smell better soon

Old 05-08-2009, 07:14 PM

403 posts, read 1,326,541 times
Hehe, thanks! I'm sure feeding 5 dogs is a quite a bit pricier than 2! We have two Mal's that don't eat a whole lot, but we still go through a bag in a week and a half. I'm hoping this food helps a bit since we have an RV trip coming up next month! They don't usually eat as much on the road so that may help too!

Old 05-08-2009, 08:23 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,480,646 times
Good quality kibble also has other advantages besides keeping your dog healthy. Because more of the kibble is digestible dogs will eat less and produce less waste. Even though I am paying more for Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul per bag, my monthly costs are not much higher than what I paid before I switched to a good quality kibble.

One ingredient in Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul that I like is Enterococcus faecieum, which is a harmless bacteria that lives in the dog's gut. It works as a probiotic, preventing gastrointestinal infections, reducing flatulence, and makes the waste less smelly.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:57 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,924,677 times
You are so right, I wouldn't feed canned food either due to the problems in the past. But try soaking the dry food, it will be so much better on their teeth

Eating soft food all the time is not good for their teeth. Unless your dog is chewing on lots of bones, then he should be eating the kibble hard. It will keep his teeth strong and healthy.

I fed my shepherd blue buffalo, he loved it. I never had to add anything into the food. You can get it at pet smart and it's not all that expensive.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:48 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,669,144 times
My sister in law bred collies. She always used science diet mixed with a couple of tablespoons of whatever she scrapped off the breakfast and dinner plates for taste. No leftovers? she used a spoon of bacon grease. She said the science diet was a totally complete food, but dogs eat with their noses and if it doesn't smell good they won't eat it.

Please buy whatever brand of food you want, but be careful of where you buy premium foods. If you walk down the isle in the local pet dept store, you will notice that a lot of the foods with higher moisture content are vacuumed packed to keep the food fresh, however on top you will find the bags that have lost their seal and definately are not fresh.
I've always fed my pets Purina products all of their lives. The exception was using special low protein food for the St Bernard puppies to control their growth in the first year. Except for one cancer in a 16 yr old cat and one 16 year old dog dying in her sleep, they all lived healthly to way past their life expectancy. Like 13.5 and 11 yrs for 3 St. Bernards and 17 for an Airedale mix. and cats ages 25, 23, 21 with two at 16 and 23 still living. I have always mixed a couple of tablespoons of something into the dog food, usually purina products. And added a tsp of olive oil for good coats and a spoon of brewers yeast to fight fleas. As I like highly spiced foods, not much people food goes into their plate. When they get older, it is harder to get them to eat because, just like people, they start loosing their sense of smell. When my last St Bernard didn't want to eat her food in her last year of life, I switched from the dog canned product to a tablespoon of the smelliest flavor of cat food I gave my cats. That got her interest. Of course cat food is way too rich for dogs, but a tablespoon in 5 cups of dry was just for flavor. My cats got about 2 tablespoons of canned product per day plus unlimited amounts of dry.
Never give your animals raw meat and especially not chicken unless you raised it and butchered it yourself. The way we commercially raise animals today, puts the meat at risk for e-coli and salmonella. Chicken bones are dangerous for pets, especially dogs, because dogs do not chew their food they just gulp it. Sharp chicken bones like from legs can get lodged in throats or slice up intestines like a knife. A big piece of chicken skin can choke a smaller dog to death. Feeding raw also causes animals to have increased blood lust. My neighbor raised bulldogs for show and fed raw. Everytime they got out they tried to kill everything in site, the chickens, the rabbits, and other peoples dogs and cats. They almost got a neighbors child.
Be very careful about giving your dog hard bones. It wears down their teeth. I would occasionally treat with a prime rib bone, but sneak in after the meat was gone and snatch the bone. Also be careful with rawhide treats and pigs ears. The pieces that are swallowed don't digest and they get bigger as they absorb liquid from the intestines. They can cause an intestinal blockage if the dog cannot pass them. I think milk bones or any kind of bone designed to crumble works well on teeth.

Well, that's one persons opinion.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:28 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,467,237 times
What about a lamb/rice dog food I switched from Nutro to Diamond Lamb/Rice they seem to be doing ok on it. My one JRT is getting fat even.
The Nutro they started having problems with not eating it after years.?

Old 05-18-2009, 11:33 AM

138 posts, read 619,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukiko11 View Post

Never give your animals raw meat and especially not chicken unless you raised it and butchered it yourself. The way we commercially raise animals today, puts the meat at risk for e-coli and salmonella. Chicken bones are dangerous for pets, especially dogs, because dogs do not chew their food they just gulp it. Sharp chicken bones like from legs can get lodged in throats or slice up intestines like a knife. A big piece of chicken skin can choke a smaller dog to death. Feeding raw also causes animals to have increased blood lust. My neighbor raised bulldogs for show and fed raw. Everytime they got out they tried to kill everything in site, the chickens, the rabbits, and other peoples dogs and cats. They almost got a neighbors child.
Be very careful about giving your dog hard bones. It wears down their teeth. I would occasionally treat with a prime rib bone, but sneak in after the meat was gone and snatch the bone. Also be careful with rawhide treats and pigs ears. The pieces that are swallowed don't digest and they get bigger as they absorb liquid from the intestines. They can cause an intestinal blockage if the dog cannot pass them. I think milk bones or any kind of bone designed to crumble works well on teeth.

Well, that's one persons opinion.
I know you said this was your opinion so I'll give mine. There is nothing wrong with giving raw food to dogs. There are MANY people that feed their animals a raw diet. Their digestive systems are made for raw food and wild animals eat raw food along with their ancestors. Some dogs do gulp their food and not chew, that is correct. However, many people grind the foods for those gulpers. The thing about the blood lust made me laugh out loud. This is not true at all!! Your neighbors dog did not chase these animals or a child because of them eating raw. There are other issues there. As far as the bones go, they actually clean their teeth. Marrow bones are good for them to chew on but can not be used to eat. They are also known as recreational bones. The raw meaty bones is what cleans their teeth and what people feed their dogs on the raw diet. Milkbones would be the absolute last treat I'd ever give my dog. There is nothing but crap in there (BHA, BHT, tons of by-products, just to mention a few). I had to respond to this posting because I don't want anyone to be mis-informed on a raw diet. Some of the information that was provided I don't agree with and feel is just not correct. I would hate for the info posted to turn away someone thinking of feeding raw.

Last edited by pugluvr; 05-18-2009 at 12:01 PM..

Old 05-18-2009, 12:10 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,924,677 times
Everything Pugluvr said is right, dogs do not attack because they eat raw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs