Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 11:25 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,522,953 times

Advertisements

A friend is re-homing some Basset Corgi mix Puppies. They are 4 weeks old and I think she will give them to homes when they are 8 weeks.

My kids and I would like one but

1. we want one who has that bay-bark of a Basset Hound. Are there any visual signs we can see that he/show will bay?

2. We'd prefer one more easily trainable - less stubborn more like a Corgi.

When will the these traits ( both #1 and #2) become apparent?

Here's bonus (lol ) statistical genetics question for a real expert. If a puppy has one basset trait is it more likely to have another bassett trait or is it simply random chance?

Random chance - flipping a fair coin and getting tails - the next flip is still 50-50 tails or heads.

Non Random Chance- A criminal goes to jail for two dumb burglaries. Is it also likely that criminal has low IQ / education? Answer it is as there is a correlation between those in prison and low education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 12:56 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,451,384 times
Puppies are like kids, you can never be completely sure of what you are getting, but you end up loving them just the same!

Old 05-07-2009, 12:59 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,979,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Puppies are like kids, you can never be completely sure of what you are getting, but you end up loving them just the same!
I love this answer!

Old 05-07-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas sky View Post
I love this answer!
I got that from my neighbor, a very gentle, easy going, relaxed and wonderful man. I met him by the pond one day. While we were talking, his insane terrier dove into the pond mud and started digging furiously, kicking mud through the air.

I looked at my neighbor and said, "Did you know what you were getting into when you adopted Jake?" He sighed and said, "You never really know. But it's like kids, they're yours and you learn to love them anyway."

He was right. You will never find the perfect dog, but you will love the dog who comes home to live with you. I can't explain it, but that bond that develops between a human and a dog is powerful. If you don't believe me, just read some of the posts on the Rainbow Bridge board.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:57 PM

how sweet - yes you all love dogs but I had Specific Questions - yes i will know when it bays-howls - one can hear it- I was asking a hopefully informed person WHEN? As for the trainabilitiy - I was hoping an informed person how that trait may be spotted in a litter if possible.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:07 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,424,010 times
There is no percentage as to how much Corgi...how much Bassett Hound will make up your puppy. The best you can do and go sit with the litter and watch. Personalities, ie the shy, the aggressor, barker, complainer, start to emerge somewhere around 4-5 weeks and just grow more and more evident. The only way to is observe the litter...go at different times and by no means judge a pup on one or two visits. The quiet sleeping one, may turn into the loud boisterous one, ten minutes after you leave. Best time is "before" they've eaten...as afterwards, everyone will crash for a nap.
So the dog is replacing the duck?

Old 05-07-2009, 02:39 PM

18,728 posts, read 33,396,751 times
One of my vets has a PhD in genetics. He said that with mutts, looking more like one type than another isn't predictive of attached traits.
Certainly not down to such specifics as baying.
I adopt older mutts. I thought I had a "type" (border collie mixes, cattle dog mixes) but I've come to love any dog I take care of, and my "type" expands. I just have a headstart on dogs with that white blaze on their heads- imprinted at childhood by a BC mix family pet.
I think a basset/corgi would be adorable! And long and low to the ground. I have a basset/beagle, who mostly looks beagley. Trust me, he bays. And bays. His bay could cut steak.
Best wishes on your new best friend.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
how sweet - yes you all love dogs but I had Specific Questions - yes i will know when it bays-howls - one can hear it- I was asking a hopefully informed person WHEN? As for the trainabilitiy - I was hoping an informed person how that trait may be spotted in a litter if possible.
You can't tell these things until the dog is much older! When you adopt a puppy it is a shot in the dark! If you are not comfortable rolling the dice, then go to a breeder or adopt a full grown dog.

Have you ever raised a puppy before? They are a TON of work. You need to make sure someone is home most of the day when they are young. They need a lot of supervision until they are around 8 month to a year old.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:35 PM

Shelby we still visit the duck- he's grown quite a bit and loves being with the other ducks.

As for the puppy I was hoping we could hear the baying voice after a couple of weeks but who knows? I cant visit them often. Yes I know puppies are alot of work but I'm being outvoted here!

Old 05-07-2009, 03:39 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,424,010 times
Well,puppies certainly bark (or whine) at around 4-5 weeks...so maybe you will hear a bay or two....My only experience is with Golden puppies. Lots and lots of Golden puppies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs