Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2010, 02:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,949 times

Advertisements

First, let me start by telling you that we are cattle people and have trained several border collies and Aussies without any problems. They have turned out to be awesome well adjusted, well mannered, hard working dogs.

We bought a female corgi 4 years ago and we just can't get a handle on her. If anyone can suggest ways to correct any of the behaviors I will list below, PLEASE do! We had such high hopes for her, but are now at the point of giving her away.

1.) She humps my 8 year old daughters leg (only my daughter).
2.) She barks all the time. She is an outside country dog. We have only 3 neighbors and she knows them, yet any time they are outside or they drive by she barks non-stop and cannot be stopped.
3.) She attacks the neighbors dogs, even when they are not on or near our property. She also attacks our 1 year old Aussie.
4.) She will not listen to anyone unless she thinks there is a treat or a pat in it for her.
5.) She nips at my 6 year old son every chance she gets. He has never been mean or excessively rough with her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 08:15 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
Humping is a Dominace problem....Your DD HAS to be the one to make her stop.
My Corgi Barks at Everyone she sees until They stop & pet her! IF they are driving by Have THEM toss water balloon at her! Squirt her with water! If they are walking they could do same or just talk to her.
Again Shes the Boss! Has the Aussie tried to defend themselves? How ARE YOU reacting to this?? BTW STOP giving her TREATS!! Shes got you number!

Old 03-31-2010, 07:33 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,921,110 times
What kind of training has she had? I agree, "she is the boss" You need to do some NILIF and some OB training, and if you have already then you need to do more. I have a Corgi also. He has learned Quiet so when he is barking I say quiet and most of the time he will stop. Whenever I ask him to do something, sometimes there is a treat and sometimes not. You need to get control of the situation and show her that you are in charge and you are the boss.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:07 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,269,932 times
It is strictly a training issue.
I have known several Corgis. They were all fine.
A few of them were stubborn, but they listen when talked to.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:11 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,805,058 times
Corgis can be stubborn, but they are extremely smart and trainable.

Basic Obedience training isn't just about teaching your dog to sit. It's about teaching your dog that you are in charge!

Old 04-01-2010, 12:47 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,423,079 times
Is she spayed? Sounds like she wants to be dominant over your daughter and also your other dog. She prob. considers your daughter a sibling. Sometimes quick movements (maybe from your son) can trigger nips - would want to put a stop to that fast though. Does she get any exercise, not talking going in and out of the house (alth. I think you said she's a yard dog) but do you take her jogging or keep her busy in other ways. Corgis were bred for herding and are happiest when kept busy. I wouldn't want her nipping my son or attacking neighbors' dogs - she needs to know her limits or your neighbors will justifiably get majorly ticked off and eventually you might end up w/ some vet bills for their dogs if it continues - sounds like she needs to be kept close to you even if it's tethered to you (using a leash) in the house (hopefully she's housebroken). She also will thrive with regular exercise - 'a tired dog is a good dog'. And like the others said, basic obedience is definitely a must, we take our kids to school, why not our dogs - ? (w/ you working w/ her).

Old 06-01-2010, 03:31 PM

157 posts, read 440,390 times
Just now read your post. I have corgis. Sometimes they just need attention. Keep us posted on how she is doing.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:27 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,163 times
That is a classic case of your dog asserting her dominance as pack leader! You need to start setting boundaries and rules for her and be consistent. She needs to learn that she is not the pack leader and will likely be a much calmer happier dog once she realizes this. My dog (a rescue) was out of control crazy when we first got her too. She would hump my leg all the time and not listen to any commands whatsoever. I got really fed up and researched her behavior a ton and even had my sister speak with her trainer. She suggested that we immediately start setting boundaries such as not allowing her up on the furniture or in certain rooms, tell her NO when she doesn't listen, (use a water spray bottle if "NO" doesn't work), and definitely do NOT reward bad behavior. Try some leash training as well having your daughter walk her with your daughter either in front of or next to the dog but NOT behind! Also, watch Cesar Milan... a lot of his episodes have dogs with similar problems. The good news is that this is one behavior (asserting dominance) that is VERY easily corrected once the dog realizes that all of her humans are the pack leaders and she is not.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:05 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,982,335 times
My corgi Griffin, now 9 years old, is the most stubborn creature you can imagine. Training early on helped him greatly. In our house, he lords over his sister, a belgian shepherd who is MUCH bigger than him, but he is very gentle with the human children. We did take him for training when he was about 3 or 4 due to problems with barking and stubbornness. He is much better, but he is still quite stubborn. I suggest taking him to obedience training and get the kids to go as well. While Griffin would like to be the pack leader, we just don't let him! Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs