Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 09:08 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,519,025 times

Advertisements

If you raise a dog from a puppy as opposed to getting one that is say 1-2 years old will it bond with you better? Is that the advantage?

or

Is the advantage of a puppy so that you can see it grow and train it your way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 11:30 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,442,839 times
No, puppies won't bond with you better. Dogs bond to whomever feeds and loves them.

The advantage with a puppy is that you can make sure she has a healthy childhood and you control things like vaccines (which I don't like) when you get her fixed (I prefer to wait till she's matured) and what you feed her (I like raw, natural food as opposed to commercial) and how many pesticides you put into her mouth and onto her skin! All these things can impact her adulthood.

Plus, you always have those baby pictures!

Old 05-08-2009, 12:25 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
I think dogs vary in their temperments and affections, just like people.
The two dogs I got as puppies think I'm OK,but aren't particularly attentive to me. Of the many seniors I've adopted, they've also varied in their emotional behavior. Abuse didn't seem to affect their affections as much as not being socialized at a key time and being extremely shy.
The important thing for me is that I love them,although I admit having one that likes to curl up next to me on the couch.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:31 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
ASll of my rescues have been extremely devoted to me. I think having a rough time makes them very grateful (or the dog equivalent) to the opne who gives them a good home.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:05 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
I not sure if "love more" is the correct wording. Either puppy or adult will bond with you and the family. I think it is a dogs nature. I have always started out with puppies...and I wouldn't give that experience up for the world. Pain in the butt sometimes, but at least for me, well worth it. I want to be able to train and mold...(maybe I'm a control freak?) but I love the puppy stages. I guess it depends on the amt. of time you have to spend with a puppy and even more, how much patience you have!

Old 05-08-2009, 01:30 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,549,285 times
My most highly bonded dog ever was one I got when he was 2.5

Old 05-08-2009, 01:51 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
If you raise a dog from a puppy as opposed to getting one that is say 1-2 years old will it bond with you better? Is that the advantage?

or

Is the advantage of a puppy so that you can see it grow and train it your way?
It depends on the breed. Some dogs, like Malamutes, Mastiffs, and Great Pyrenees, bond very closely to whomever raises them from puppies. Once bonded, they do not bond well with another owner. Other breeds will bond to whomever feeds them or shows them affection.

I train my own dogs, but I don't start their training until they are at least 6 months old. So training an older dog (1-2 years old) is not much different than training a puppy, although the older dog will probably learn quicker and make fewer mistakes.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:08 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,519,025 times
What about Italian Greyhound -Whippet mix which we are looking at tomw. 1 year old

Old 05-08-2009, 03:21 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,814,140 times
As someone who had both puppies and adult dogs, I can assure you they will love you the same way. Dogs are wonderful and do not distinguish whether they are recent or old friends. Take good care of them and give them attention and they will be your dearest friends.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:28 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,583,607 times
Having adopted both adult dogs and puppies I have not noticed a difference in the bond they form with me. Dash was adopted at 1yr which was a great age and he has been so bonded to me that I call him Momma's boy.

Having recently gotten an 8 month old silken windhound I will say that the sight hounds can be a bit more aloof. A Italian Greyhound -Whippet mix may be a bit aloof being it is a sight hound, Don't get me wrong as the new guy loves being with me yet unlike Jazz and Dash ( herding breeds) he does not seem to have that intense need to be with me 24/7. It is more he wants to be with me when he wants to and at other times he is off doing his own thing and could care less about what I am doing. With the other two I can not so much as pee or take a shower alone... maybe they are afraid that alligator the myths say live in the sewers will get me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs