Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 07:16 AM

737 posts, read 2,589,595 times

Advertisements

Background: An odd thing just happened with one of our dogs. Fifi is a 2 yr. old rescue that has been part of our family for 17 months (no clue about her history). She is a pit mix that couldn't be more loving to us and not aggressive with guests, usually. She responds to my husband's commands better than she does with me.

Issue: He was just mowing the lawn (push mower, not riding) and I let the dogs out - off leash as usual. She started barking and becoming aggressive with the machine. She ran circles around my husband and the mower, the circle quickly got tighter and she was increasingly frenzied and then bit his leg. This happened in seconds. We didn't know what to do from a training standpoint.

Question: What should we have done to correct the behavior so that we can employ that tactic next time?

As always, I know I can find the help I need here and appreciate any feedback. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 08:06 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,742,022 times
Has your dog been exposed to the lawn mower in the past? The sounds are quite loud and intimidating - I am sure. My dog had problems with our vacuum cleaner.

On Leash:
I would consider getting the dog comfortable around the mower with it off, and see the reaction. As you see her get more comfortable, the see her reaction with it on. (At least that is what I did with the vacuum but my dog does not bite). If biting becomes more of a problem, she will need a trainer to work with her. I would be concerned about the safety of your family - especially your husband.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:14 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,369,461 times
It is quite possible that someone tried to run over her with a mower, especially one used by a man. We got our Simon from a rescue and learned that he had been shot at repeatedly. He is terrified of any noise, including the wind, the alarm clock, etc. He doesn't bite, but he shakes and his teeth chatter, which I have never seen before in a dog. I agree that you might need a trainer to help. Good luck.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:39 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,502,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
It is quite possible that someone tried to run over her with a mower, especially one used by a man. We got our Simon from a rescue and learned that he had been shot at repeatedly. He is terrified of any noise, including the wind, the alarm clock, etc. He doesn't bite, but he shakes and his teeth chatter, which I have never seen before in a dog. I agree that you might need a trainer to help. Good luck.
Anything is possible.

My dog is very sensitive to 'machine sounds' and has never suffered any abuse. When he was about 5 months old there were many machines working next door--a house was torn down and a new house was built. For months after that he would get anxious/excited if he heard people talking on cell phones and/or loud noises.

I would consult a trainer.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:48 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,869,572 times
THe running in circles and barking was a clue that you missed - he was getting more and more worked up. It's possible that he didn't distinguish between your husband's leg and the machine. Don't let him out when the mower is in use until he has been de-sensitized to it. And be careful and watch him when ANY machine is in use, inside and outside.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:06 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,443,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
THe running in circles and barking was a clue that you missed - he was getting more and more worked up. It's possible that he didn't distinguish between your husband's leg and the machine. Don't let him out when the mower is in use until he has been de-sensitized to it. And be careful and watch him when ANY machine is in use, inside and outside.
Exactly!!

And when you noticed him getting worked up about something, you've got to put a stop to it immediately. Even happy excited can quickly turn to a bite if you don't keep the level of excitement under control.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:27 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,460,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBeachFL View Post
Background: An odd thing just happened with one of our dogs. Fifi is a 2 yr. old rescue that has been part of our family for 17 months (no clue about her history). She is a pit mix that couldn't be more loving to us and not aggressive with guests, usually. She responds to my husband's commands better than she does with me.

Issue: He was just mowing the lawn (push mower, not riding) and I let the dogs out - off leash as usual. She started barking and becoming aggressive with the machine. She ran circles around my husband and the mower, the circle quickly got tighter and she was increasingly frenzied and then bit his leg. This happened in seconds. We didn't know what to do from a training standpoint.

Question: What should we have done to correct the behavior so that we can employ that tactic next time?

As always, I know I can find the help I need here and appreciate any feedback. Thanks.
It sounds like she was attacking the machine more than your husband. A lot of dogs DO NOT like loud noises, for whatever reasons.

My old girl hated any type of machine noises. One while walking her down the sidewalk with her on a leash, a man was trimming a hedge with a loud motorized hedge trimmer. My dog suddenly bit him on the leg. The noise made her crazy, so she bit what was there -- his leg. The man was upset, but did not press charges or anything, so we were off the hook.

Normally, my dog was sweet, loving, and never aggressive unless she was protecting the home from an intruder. However, even the nicest dogs have their little quirks.

My dog was small, but in your case, with a pit mix, maybe you were lucky that you learned about your dog's behavior this way. Now you know, your dog does not like loud machines. In the future, you will have to be careful and on a tight leash when it comes to things like motorcylcles, perhaps. As my dog would lose her mind to go after those things.

W.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:11 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,669,220 times
I bet she was a chained dog previously and was taunted with a lawnmower! Who knows!
My pit/mix freaks out when the blower or weed wacker is being used outside. She goes nuts barking and jumping at the door and windows. I know my rescue pit/mix was previously chained up and abused. People do terrible things to animals.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:29 PM

18,412 posts, read 19,047,428 times
what ever happened or the reason. I would simply keep her in the house in a quiet room when your hubby does the lawn. no reason to scare her more by trying to make her comfortable with the mower. my dog has never been abused but is very fearful of the vacuum, and garbage bags. age and being around them has not quieted her fears.

Old 05-11-2009, 04:02 AM

737 posts, read 2,589,595 times
Thanks for the feedback, reps to all who responded! I called our vet tech and left a message but I knew I could count on this forum to help until the vet tech/trainer calls back. We think you're right, Woof Woof Woof and SouthernBelle, that is, she thought he was part of the machine. At least that is what our hope is as we don't want to believe our "kid" would ever turn on her parent.

And yes, TitaniumMD, she has been exposed to the mower before but we were attempting some on leash training at the time and so it wasn't an issue - but giving it more thought, she didn't do any "business" when she was on leash with the mower going.

All very good points... thank you. I think for her comfort and my husband's safety that the mower will just be turned off when dogs go out. Like I said, this happened so quickly there wasn't time to take the obvious proactive measure - shutting off the mower and giving her the voice commands we would normally use. Will let you know what the vet tech says if it measurably different than the good advice I've received here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs