Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 05:10 PM

104 posts, read 637,329 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 05:16 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,349,683 times
I put about a teaspoon of brewers yeast in my dogs food daily. Supposed to keep the fleas away.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:15 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,456,836 times
I don't have a problem with Advantage for fleas.

But the ones like Frontline that combine tick and flea chemicals bother me.

Flea and tick dips are linked to bladder cancer in dogs.

http://www.cleannorth.org/help/answerbook/fleas.html (broken link)

Old 02-07-2009, 09:49 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,983,258 times
I've never had a problem with Frontline or K9 Advantage.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:22 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,295,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I don't have a problem with Advantage for fleas.

But the ones like Frontline that combine tick and flea chemicals bother me.

Flea and tick dips are linked to bladder cancer in dogs.

Clean North : Alternative Methods for Flea Control (http://www.cleannorth.org/help/answerbook/fleas.html - broken link)
We haven't given him anything yet because of the warnings on the labels. I mean, it warns me to not touch the stuff to my skin yet I'm supposed to apply it to my baby?? We have Revolution, but haven't used it yet. Do you think this is a good thing? We have a really bad flea season pretty much year round in San Diego and after hearing horror stories from neighbors regarding last year's infestation, I'd rather take care of it sooner rather than later. Should we use the Revolution or should we go with something else?

Old 02-07-2009, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
We haven't given him anything yet because of the warnings on the labels. I mean, it warns me to not touch the stuff to my skin yet I'm supposed to apply it to my baby?? We have Revolution, but haven't used it yet. Do you think this is a good thing? We have a really bad flea season pretty much year round in San Diego and after hearing horror stories from neighbors regarding last year's infestation, I'd rather take care of it sooner rather than later. Should we use the Revolution or should we go with something else?
The vet who keeps the website catinfo.org (raw food diets for cats) has said she has no problem putting Advantage (Imidaclorprid) on her cats. She felt that it was very safe but did not recommend Frontline (fipronil). I don't know what's in Revolution.

I've also read frightening reports on other boards about animals have adverse reactions to Frontline.

According to wikipedia, imadacloprid is an "unlikely" carcinogen and has a toxicity similar to its parent compound nicotine. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imidacloprid

I'll Google "fipronil" and "toxicity" tomorrow. I believe fipronil has a much higher toxicity, but I need to double check. It's late and I gotta go to bed.

Last edited by Woof Woof Woof!; 02-07-2009 at 10:52 PM..

Old 02-08-2009, 08:50 AM

Okay, just had time to do a little more reading on fipronil.

Fipronil has been classified as a possible human carcinogen. It also has been shown to be neurotoxic to rats and dog. Personally, I would never put this stuff on my dog. You can read more here: Fipronil

Old 02-08-2009, 03:31 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,295,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Okay, just had time to do a little more reading on fipronil.

Fipronil has been classified as a possible human carcinogen. It also has been shown to be neurotoxic to rats and dog. Personally, I would never put this stuff on my dog. You can read more here: Fipronil
Here is the info for Revolution. I like that it's also used for heartworm and is not a pesticide. What do you think? Should I use this or should I go with something else? It's getting warm here and I don't want him to be infested like our neighbor's dog was last year so I need to use something now.

Revolution (selamectin) stops fleas and prevents heartworms.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:37 PM

Selamectin is a member of the avermectin class of insecticides, and is closely related to ivermectin. These drugs interfere with the parasite's nerve transmission, causing paralysis and death.

Ivermectin is commonly used in dogs to treat parasitical problem like mites, scabies, demadex, and mange. Heartguard Plus contains ivermectin as the main ingredient for killing heartworm larvae. It also has another ingredient Pyrantel pamoate for killing intestinal worms.

I need to keep digging to find more info on toxicity. Selamectin looks like a relatively new drug, so you might find more info on the parent drug avermectin or invermectin.

I'm in the midst of a project for work, so I'll have to get back to this one, MAK.

Woof x3

Last edited by Woof Woof Woof!; 02-08-2009 at 08:57 PM..

Old 02-09-2009, 05:25 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,370,058 times
I use Frontline spray because I need to get their undercarriage...I live in a major tick zone and I've had Lymes 3 times myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs