Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 04:04 PM

371 posts, read 1,567,422 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I have a 5 pound maltese and was researching flea & tick meds. I live in CT and we have woods in our back yard although she hasn't been spending much time outside because it has been too hot. Anyway, her vet gave her Frontline Plus but I feel that it is just way too much money and I guess I was having a cheap moment and bought Spot On F&T by Zodiac & Hartz Ultraguard F&T...way cheaper. But now after researching both brands I am hesitant to give it to her. I like the idea of the Comfortis pill but that is even more expensive. I thought about buying a spray to use instead but not sure if that will even work. I thought about giving her the cat version since she is so small but the prices are the same. Help...I really don't want to be spending alot on this stuff but I am worried about her getting something and spreading it across my house. I don't think I will go with those cheapy brands and now that I have to spend money on a good product...but now I am so confused I don't know which one is best. Any ideas? Any good websites that sell the products at a good price? She has been unprotected for about 3 months but now I am worried so I have to get the ball rolling...any advice please help...she is my first dog so I am new at this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 04:23 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,016,432 times
From what I know, a lot of this "infestation" stuff is regional, so what may be an issue out West, may not be where you are. If I were you, I would ask your vet (assuming that you trust them) what you need. Where I am, there is a big deal with heartworm, so we medicate the puppy accordingly.

Also, if your vet is worth his or her salt, she will give a prescription to PetMeds (or another online vet med supply company) for the meds that are needed.

Especially where you are (I know ticks are a big deal, at least), I wouldn't scrimp on the protection.

Old 07-17-2010, 04:26 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,242,333 times
I use Revolution. It is heartworm & flea combined. It costs more, but it is 2 meds. I order online from PetsuppliesNet.Com and save A LOT of $$$$.

Old 07-17-2010, 04:32 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,016,432 times
In regard to the Revolution (I *do* use it on my pup), just make sure that you ask a vet you trust in your area whether it is effective against the unwanted critters. Again, that "regional" thing comes into play.

Also, depending on your area, you may be able to not do it every month. Again, PLEASE ask our local vet about this, but my vet out here in the Pacific Northwest has said that monthly is not necessarily required during the winter months, but during the summer it's a MUST. This is something that you may be able to inquire about, and may be able to save a couple of bucks on the meds (if appropriate).

Old 07-17-2010, 04:38 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,541,706 times
I believe you can get flea meds from 1-800 Pet Meds without a prescription. They only require a prescription for heartworm meds.

Old 07-18-2010, 05:53 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,905,316 times
I'm in Ct., too. I just got my flea and tick meds from Australia. I ordered from deadfleaz.com, another good site is petsuppliesnet.com. I saw them recommended here on CD, and you won't need a prescription since it's Australia. Shipping takes no more than two weeks, and is only about $5.

My cats and dogs have had flea problems on and off for awhile, every time we board them they get fleas. That's despite using Frontline Plus before boarding, and yet they still come home with fleas. I switched to Revolution, and that finally got rid of the fleas. However, I just switched our new puppy to a new vet, and since we live in Ct. he said Revolution was a bad choice for dogs. For cats he said that was great, but dogs need tick prevention, since Ct. is rampant with disease-carrying ticks. He said Frontline Plus was the better choice for dogs since Revolution doesn't kill ticks. Keep in mind that if there is a warm spell in the dead of winter, which sometimes happens, the ticks come out----I have found ticks on our dogs in January! You would also need a heartworm med, since Frontline doesn't prevent heartworms the way Revolution does. He sells a generic heartworm med, unlike our old vet. Anyway, for prices I think Australia is the cheapest. I used to use Drs. Foster and Smith, but they were more expensive.

On a side note, our new puppy came home with fleas. I tried Revolution which didn't work, and the new vet said to also apply Frontline. She still had fleas. Yesterday I gave her a bath in Dawn dish detergent, which is said to kill fleas, and it seems to have worked---she has stopped scratching.

Old 07-18-2010, 06:41 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,356,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
I use Revolution. It is heartworm & flea combined. It costs more, but it is 2 meds. I order online from PetsuppliesNet.Com and save A LOT of $$$$.
100% agree!!!!

Old 07-18-2010, 09:42 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomOfToo View Post
Hello Everyone,

I have a 5 pound maltese and was researching flea & tick meds. I live in CT and we have woods in our back yard although she hasn't been spending much time outside because it has been too hot. Anyway, her vet gave her Frontline Plus but I feel that it is just way too much money and I guess I was having a cheap moment and bought Spot On F&T by Zodiac & Hartz Ultraguard F&T...way cheaper. But now after researching both brands I am hesitant to give it to her. I like the idea of the Comfortis pill but that is even more expensive. I thought about buying a spray to use instead but not sure if that will even work. I thought about giving her the cat version since she is so small but the prices are the same. Help...I really don't want to be spending alot on this stuff but I am worried about her getting something and spreading it across my house. I don't think I will go with those cheapy brands and now that I have to spend money on a good product...but now I am so confused I don't know which one is best. Any ideas? Any good websites that sell the products at a good price? She has been unprotected for about 3 months but now I am worried so I have to get the ball rolling...any advice please help...she is my first dog so I am new at this
I had frontline not plus since it did come out. It really worked til last year fleas!
I did give an added fronline and thought with the price Wow. Fleas so
I went on line did get frontline spay, flea comb had one, dawn soap and did
start the flea be gone mission. I then did try comfortis and so far it really
works. I do order cheaper from Dr foster and Smith however you need a scrip
and I think for small dogs the price has come down. Fleas really do bite
so ask your vet! If the cheap stuff worked we all would buy it! Also in the North you may not need flea stuff year round. Frontline has the spray which is cheaper and works great. Amazon etc do sell it so you may compare prices. Healty pets. com also does sell it with often free shipping. I do not think you
should give cat meds to a dog. Read reviews also from amazon, dr foster and smith! You also may get by with a six month supply of comfortis
and then the frontline spay in winter every other month.

Last edited by maggiekate; 07-18-2010 at 09:55 PM..

Old 07-18-2010, 10:03 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaime_mac View Post
I believe you can get flea meds from 1-800 Pet Meds without a prescription. They only require a prescription for heartworm meds.
also comfortis needs a scrip some vet will and
some will not. It also is less expensive mostly on line but the vet needs to
agree. Heartworm needs the test yearly b4 they will agree to the pill.
I always have used interceptor and it has worked well for 20 years. Many white dogs also have super allergy to fleas so buy the good stuff.
You also have a real small dog maybe if the vet agrees you could split the pill as people now do?

Last edited by maggiekate; 07-18-2010 at 10:11 PM..

Old 07-18-2010, 10:15 PM

848 posts, read 1,953,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
also comfortis needs a scrip some vet will and
some will not. It also is less expensive mostly on line but the vet needs to
agree. Heartworm needs the test yearly b4 they will agree to the pill.
I always have used interceptor and it has worked well for 20 years. Many white dogs also have super allergy to fleas so buy the good stuff.
You also have a real small dog maybe if the vet agrees you could split the pill as people now do?
Capstar does not require a prescription. I would check with a vet to ascertain how often it can be safely given though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs