Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 08:14 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,425,493 times

Advertisements

Great info from Kansas Sky and great info from you too, SPES, glad he's officially a 'lab mix' and good to know about the shots. I think you can get the rabies done very reasonably at PetsMart but it prob. varies from location to location, here in NJ I believe it's free if you can take advantage of rabies clinics etc (which we have in the past) and then you get paperwork when they're due and can take them to a participating vet (which my own vet is) so we (or anyone who went to the rabies clinic) can just go to the part. vet and get the rabies shot for free (have the paperwork handy and make sure they know there's no exam to be given, you just have to schedule it in advance and make an appt).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 10:50 AM

550 posts, read 1,637,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenfatt View Post
Unfortunately, you and George just became a victim of public perception. Popular press has portrayed pits and crosses as dangerous. "Non-pit" people accept the danger as gospel. People also (and correctly) place a higher value on the welfare of a child than that of a dog. This includes a spoiled, lying little brat. Her misdeeds will be completely forgiven and forgotten by the neighbors and friends who view her as the victim of the dangerous animal you kept in your home where she had unsupervised access. Your choices are to remove George from your home, gag and apologize to the child and her parents while spending tons for an escape proof pen to be constructed , or give up having other people's children in your home. The last may be forced upon you if you don't choose the first. Is this fair to you or your family? No. Welcome to the world of owning a pit.

I do regret not investing in a kennel for George and kennel training him, if necessary, prior to this incident. Who knows - he may already be kennel trained?

I think I'll get one off of Craigslist this week, get him kennel train, then, in the future, if the need arises, I can LOCK him in a kennel for a short period of time [couple of hours, max] if the kids have friends over. I will not have "Lizzy" over again, and probably not the children of other members of that group, but I am thinking longterm... we hope George lives a long life, and we don't want to have our home totally off limits to visitors that entire time.

Our sheltie mix, Chevy, was perfectly kennel trained when we adopted him. [He also came to us as a rescue of sorts, his prior owner had to find a home for him that weekend, or he would have ended up in a shelter.]

Chevy's prior owner gave us the kennel and he would go in his kennel on his own, no problem. He was perfectly trianed to go into his kennel on command. Whenever we had kids over for play dates, we would send Chevy to the kennel, because he was somewhat skittish and I never trusted him around other people's kids... in fact I trusted Chevy less so in that regard than I trust George!

I never padlocked the kennel, but if I had wanted to, it would have been easy enough to do. With a keyed padlock, I could keep the key on my person and there would be no way, whatsoever for the dog to get out.

Does this sound like a feasible plan?

How hard is it to train a non-puppy to stay in a kennel?

I honestly have never kennel trained a dog before. Chevy came to us kennel trained and often went into his kennel on his own for naps or if he wanted to get away from the younger children. He'd play with them, but at a certain point it was as if he'd say "that's enough" and he'd head off to his kennel. We taught the kids to leave him alone when he was in his kennel.

I am also thinking kennel training George before we move our family cross-country would be a really good idea. For example if we need to leave him in the hotel room while we go out to grab something to eat. My husband HATES to drive at night, claims he doesn't have night vision, so at the first sign of the sun setting, he'll pull off the highway for the night. Previously when we've driven to or from Georgia we've spent at least two nights in hotels.

We've never driven cross country with a largish dog. [Compared to the Dalmations, Great Danes and Newfoundlands we have met at the dog park, I feel safe categorizing George as a solid medium-sized dog!]

We had a cocker spaniel/pomeranian mix when we made the drive up here from Georgia early in our marriage - that was almost 18 years ago. Our Chanel passed on five years ago, she was almost 14 when we had to put her down. We've always left our dogs with my mom when we've gone done to GA for visits in the years since we moved up here.

EDIT: My husband said "NO" to the kennel idea... he said putting a pitbull in a confined space will set him off??? First of all, I tried to tell him we don't know that George is even a pitbull, but he's thought of George as a pitbull since the first time he laid eyes on him, so that argument falls on deaf ears. I think this idea is kind of an urban legend, not necessarily based in fact. Anyone know about this? Nevermind the fact George may not be a pitbull at all! GEORGE IS A LAB MIX !! Right Honeycrisp? This is not something I cannot disagree w/my husband about and just go ahead and do it my way, in other areas of marriage and family life that approach is a bad idea, but in the area of our pets, I usually have the last say because they are primarily my responsibilty day in and day out. But I would like some logical arguments to present to him on this one.

Last edited by StPaulEastSider; 05-17-2009 at 11:06 AM..

Old 05-17-2009, 04:17 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,662,846 times
If you get a crate, make sure it is big enough for him to lay down and stretch and do not get a cheap flimsy one. Dogs have strangled themselves to death by getting their head thru the top by popping it open and not being able to back out. I knew of someone who lost their dog this way. They got the cheapest crate they could buy. Their dog paid for it by her life! She also was a pit/mix with some separation anxiety issues. It cannot be a thin railed one. As strong as possible. Mine was $120.00 (worth every penny (because my mind was at rest when I had my dog in a strong one). One should never leave a dog in a crate unattended to for any length of time!

Old 05-17-2009, 05:03 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,425,493 times
I'm certainly not an expert but I doubt confining him now and then for a few hours will set him off, supposedly it's like their 'den', ie their quiet place where they can relax and chill (would prob. not put it in the room where the kids play the most or he might get very frustrated wanting to join in but being kept away, inside the crate), mine are seniors now and we only use the crates (in the van) to travel but we've used them in motels too although we don't leave them alone very long just in case there's someone in the room next door (who knows if they'll bark etc), I just dont want them destroying anything, I don't think they would but I wouldn't want to take any chances. Also would make sure you take off his collar (or harness) too like someone else suggested as there have been a couple of rare instances where they got hung up from the tags that went thru the bars, even heard of that happening when a small dog was running past a wire crate, the dog's tags got tangled when he was outside the crate (luckily the owner was nearby).

What I meant to say earlier and got sidetracked about was that if you feed him in the crate, he'll come to like it - would give him special toys and goodies etc that he gets only when he goes in it. You should see my one girl fly into the kitchen when she sees me getting ready to leave (getting my shoes on, getting my keys etc) - she races to her bed and waits patiently for me to toss her a treat - she doesn't miss me a bit, LOL (it's a little aggravating b/c sometimes I'm not as fast as I try to be or the phone rings and it just takes me longer to get out than she expects! )

We hope to be moving eventually and will probably use a dogsitter to leave them at while we check out certain areas - I would imagine she'll have to confine them at times b/c she has her own dogs and won't be home 24/7 - but I don't anticipate any problems - it's kind of down the road a bit for us so we still have time, it's a little too far off to plan right now, just in the 'thinking of' stage

Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaulEastSider View Post
I do regret not investing in a kennel for George and kennel training him, if necessary, prior to this incident. Who knows - he may already be kennel trained?

I think I'll get one off of Craigslist this week, get him kennel train, then, in the future, if the need arises, I can LOCK him in a kennel for a short period of time [couple of hours, max] if the kids have friends over. I will not have "Lizzy" over again, and probably not the children of other members of that group, but I am thinking longterm... we hope George lives a long life, and we don't want to have our home totally off limits to visitors that entire time.

Our sheltie mix, Chevy, was perfectly kennel trained when we adopted him. [He also came to us as a rescue of sorts, his prior owner had to find a home for him that weekend, or he would have ended up in a shelter.]

Chevy's prior owner gave us the kennel and he would go in his kennel on his own, no problem. He was perfectly trianed to go into his kennel on command. Whenever we had kids over for play dates, we would send Chevy to the kennel, because he was somewhat skittish and I never trusted him around other people's kids... in fact I trusted Chevy less so in that regard than I trust George!

I never padlocked the kennel, but if I had wanted to, it would have been easy enough to do. With a keyed padlock, I could keep the key on my person and there would be no way, whatsoever for the dog to get out.

Does this sound like a feasible plan?

How hard is it to train a non-puppy to stay in a kennel?

I honestly have never kennel trained a dog before. Chevy came to us kennel trained and often went into his kennel on his own for naps or if he wanted to get away from the younger children. He'd play with them, but at a certain point it was as if he'd say "that's enough" and he'd head off to his kennel. We taught the kids to leave him alone when he was in his kennel.

I am also thinking kennel training George before we move our family cross-country would be a really good idea. For example if we need to leave him in the hotel room while we go out to grab something to eat. My husband HATES to drive at night, claims he doesn't have night vision, so at the first sign of the sun setting, he'll pull off the highway for the night. Previously when we've driven to or from Georgia we've spent at least two nights in hotels.

We've never driven cross country with a largish dog. [Compared to the Dalmations, Great Danes and Newfoundlands we have met at the dog park, I feel safe categorizing George as a solid medium-sized dog!]

We had a cocker spaniel/pomeranian mix when we made the drive up here from Georgia early in our marriage - that was almost 18 years ago. Our Chanel passed on five years ago, she was almost 14 when we had to put her down. We've always left our dogs with my mom when we've gone done to GA for visits in the years since we moved up here.

EDIT: My husband said "NO" to the kennel idea... he said putting a pitbull in a confined space will set him off??? First of all, I tried to tell him we don't know that George is even a pitbull, but he's thought of George as a pitbull since the first time he laid eyes on him, so that argument falls on deaf ears. I think this idea is kind of an urban legend, not necessarily based in fact. Anyone know about this? Nevermind the fact George may not be a pitbull at all! GEORGE IS A LAB MIX !! Right Honeycrisp? This is not something I cannot disagree w/my husband about and just go ahead and do it my way, in other areas of marriage and family life that approach is a bad idea, but in the area of our pets, I usually have the last say because they are primarily my responsibilty day in and day out. But I would like some logical arguments to present to him on this one.

Old 05-17-2009, 05:40 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
I have what my vet said was a pure APBT but he was a stray so I wasn't sure. He doesn't mind the crate at all and he quietly sits when he has to go in it. He and my GSP share a 5' long one that I had for a Gt Dane earlier, they both go in willingly when a service person comes to the house. I had more trouble getting the GSP to go into it at first but he learned after about 1 day that it was no problem. It's an urban myth that pitties "go off" in a crate!

PS I just looked at his photos and I don't really see a lok of pittie in him. Black-mouthed cur may be more accurate. I'm sending you a DM with a picutre of my Wiggles.

PPS can't send pic, look at my albums for his pics

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 05-17-2009 at 05:48 PM.. Reason: added

Old 05-17-2009, 05:45 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,662,846 times
George is sooo cute. He does not look like he has any pitbull in him at all. He has a pointy face. No one would ever refer to him as a pitbull. I have to look at the pics again. I look at him and do not see pit. Not that there is anything wrong with a pitbull other than them getting a bad rap and if you rent post likely you would have a hard time.

I looked at his pics again. I do not see any pit in him. I have rescued hundreds of pitbulls and your dog is not one. He is a lab mix with another breed, right now I cannot put my finger on the breed, but it is not pit!
Is George neutered? Make sure you have that done soon if not already! Also go to your local Petsmart or Petco and get him a tag with his name, your town and state and home and cell# on it. I use an S hook to put it on the collar. Those little rings they give you to attach the tag stretch out and the tag falls off eventually. Good luck with your lab/mix, he is a real pretty boy!

Last edited by Blondie621; 05-17-2009 at 06:07 PM..

Old 05-18-2009, 06:22 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
Don't lock the crate, lock the bedroom door. A child like Lizzy could go into the bedroom and torment the dog throuigh the crate. If a finger or hand gets poked at him and he nips it, you'd have the same problem all over again, except that then he'd be a "habitual biter."

Old 05-18-2009, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Don't lock the crate, lock the bedroom door. A child like Lizzy could go into the bedroom and torment the dog throuigh the crate. If a finger or hand gets poked at him and he nips it, you'd have the same problem all over again, except that then he'd be a "habitual biter."

Okay - Good point. We actually have a keyed lock sitting around. My husband used it on his office door in a previous rental when we had a shared basement and he was allowed to use a room in the basement for his office. I'll put switching out the bedroom door knob/lock on his "honey do-list"

HONEYCRISP - THATNLS FOR THE GOOD ADVISE ON CRATE TRAINING ! [And I love your screen name, although it makes my mouth salivate!]

Last edited by StPaulEastSider; 05-18-2009 at 07:10 AM..

Old 05-18-2009, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
George is sooo cute. He does not look like he has any pitbull in him at all. He has a pointy face. No one would ever refer to him as a pitbull. I have to look at the pics again. I look at him and do not see pit. Not that there is anything wrong with a pitbull other than them getting a bad rap and if you rent post likely you would have a hard time.

I looked at his pics again. I do not see any pit in him. I have rescued hundreds of pitbulls and your dog is not one. He is a lab mix with another breed, right now I cannot put my finger on the breed, but it is not pit!
Is George neutered? Make sure you have that done soon if not already! Also go to your local Petsmart or Petco and get him a tag with his name, your town and state and home and cell# on it. I use an S hook to put it on the collar. Those little rings they give you to attach the tag stretch out and the tag falls off eventually. Good luck with your lab/mix, he is a real pretty boy!

The "problem" is, he looks rather pitty in person. Actually, more so like an American Staffordshire Terrier than a APBT... if someone's first impression of him is "pitbull", and it often is, then I don't know how I cam persuade 'em that he's not - especially since I really can't say for sure, either way.

But that's okay. I'll stick to "lab mix" and leave it at that. I could try to "Black-Mouthed Cur Mix" but no one up here in Minnesota knows what a black-mouthed cur is... but his personality fits that breed [he is protective of the women and chidlren in our household - he would not allow my husband to give our son birthday spankings this year!] as well as the fact his mouth is black on the INSIDE. He even has one black spot on his tongue. Supposedly BMC is the breed of dog which Old Yeller was - in the book, not the movie.

George came to us already neutered. We got a tag with his name and other pertinent info from PetSmart the next day, and got a S-hook at the suggestion of the cashier at Petsmart - but he still worked it off somehow. I need to get him another one this week.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post

PS I just looked at his photos and I don't really see a lok of pittie in him. Black-mouthed cur may be more accurate. I'm sending you a DM with a picutre of my Wiggles.

PPS can't send pic, look at my albums for his pics

I didn't know they had an album feature here, good to know. Wiggles does look more stereotypical APBT. He's cute, your children are cute too!

Being that you are a southern Belle, then you know about the black-mouthed cur breed, I take it? Very few people up here in Minnesota know what a BMC is, when I raised the possibility to my husband he said "that's not possible, there are no BMCs in Minnesota." Which was the silliest assertion ever, as I told him when I retorted "I imported you here from Georgia, did I not?" LOL! I feel in love with the breed when I researched them. I found a BMC rescue in Alabama, and promised myself I'd one day get a BMC rescue after we move back to Georgia. See my ^post for more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs