Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2020, 01:08 PM

173 posts, read 120,965 times

Advertisements

We might be moving to AZ. I see only gravel landscaping in many areas but don't like that idea for my heeler. Has anyone here had Astroturf/synthetic grass installed in their yard for their pets?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2020, 02:06 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,591,680 times
I know the Silicon Valley Human Society in Milpitas has it in their large play yards for the dogs and have had it for several years now. Maybe you could look them up and send an email and see what they think of it and even get a brand recommendation. I would think theirs gets a lot of wear and tear but the time I saw it looked beautiful.

Old 01-24-2020, 02:35 PM

173 posts, read 120,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
I know the Silicon Valley Human Society in Milpitas has it in their large play yards for the dogs and have had it for several years now. Maybe you could look them up and send an email and see what they think of it and even get a brand recommendation. I would think theirs gets a lot of wear and tear but the time I saw it looked beautiful.

Thanks much, Dashdog! And no mowing/watering required!

Old 01-25-2020, 03:57 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,251,693 times
I lived in SE UT and my yard was primarily sand, rock and pinion pine my malamute had no problem; so long as it was not too hot to walk on. I guess my problem with an astroturf would be cleanup after a potty run.
I now live with a grass (or snow covered grass) and have found that for clean up, the sand/gravel was a lot easier. Yes, the gooey ones come up with a lot of sand/gravel stuck to them, but in grass they smear (snow is not bad) and can only imagine how smeary it might get on astroturf. (And I won't even ask about the yellow marks that might stain the astroturf.)
Just thoughts from someone with two Malamutes who uses hundreds of doggie poo bags.

Old 01-25-2020, 04:05 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,929,454 times
Absolutely no on the gavel, did you ever try to pick up poop from gravel? and it's rough on the feet.
Astro turf is far easier to maintain than grass and dog's pee does not kill it, like it would grass.

Old 01-25-2020, 06:49 AM

3,605 posts, read 9,061,664 times
We stayed in a VRBO in Tucson with astroturf in the back yard. The dogs wouldn't pee on it and it got super hot in the sun.

Old 01-25-2020, 07:04 AM

249 posts, read 237,162 times
They make AstroTurf specifically for pets with drainage holes for the pee - not sure if it would get too hot in your climate. We put a small area down for our dogs where a landscaping bed used to be, and they use it without problem, but we are in Chicago and it’s shaded part of the day.

Old 01-26-2020, 09:30 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,251,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Absolutely no on the gavel, did you ever try to pick up poop from gravel? and it's rough on the feet.
Astro turf is far easier to maintain than grass and dog's pee does not kill it, like it would grass.
Since I had two different malamutes when living in Moab for six years, yes, I picked up poo on gravel. But I was always smart enough to wear shoes when doing the job (or when ever walking in the yard...duh).
As for pee, when it is gravel not sure I worried about pee killing those little weeds that grow in the desert.

Old 01-26-2020, 10:29 AM

521 posts, read 733,693 times
We have astro turf in our dog run in San Diego. It does get smelly and we spray it weekly with Angry Orange enzyme. We had turf at our last house for the dogs as well but that was done by a specialized turf company and they installed the "pet package" with enzymes and it never smelled. At our new house a general landscaper did the turf and I know it was done right as far as the work goes but it does smell. If we were to do it over again I would only use a turf company and get the pet option.

So maintenance wise (we have 3 German Shepherds who get walked daily but are trained to do the rest of their potty on the turf and not the grass in yard), we clean it weekly, but the poop picked up throughout each day. A quick power wash, rake with a rubber rake (have leaves that fall on the turf) and spray with the orange enzyme. This keeps any files away and mitigates most of the smell.

Old 01-26-2020, 01:34 PM

7,139 posts, read 4,546,769 times
We installed it 8 years ago in Nevada. Still looks like new. We got the pet version but my husband installed it. It has never smelled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs