Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2009, 10:49 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times

Advertisements

I have a nine-year old Collie who has always been a "licker." She licks anything and everything she can get her tongue on. She's not a chewer, just a licker. I have found her licking the carpet, the furniture, the walls, and everything else you can name. We got her when she was about four years old. When she came up to me and gave me a big slobbery kiss, I said to her then-owner, "Oh, how sweet! I guess she likes me already!" Her owner said, "Oh, I wouldn't be too awfully flattered. She sits for hours and licks our iguana."

Anyway, she's now started licking the fur on her legs and feet. She is literally licking the fur right off and the skin is red and raw. I've been putting neosporin on them (mostly to keep them from hurting and getting infected), but she licks it off. I've sprayed bitter apple on them but she licks it off, too. I know the vet will recommend one of those collars that will make it impossible for her to even reach her legs to lick them. I could see trying that if it were just a temporary thing. I know that as soon as I were to remove the collar, she'd be licking herself again. I can't make her wear one of those collars 24-7.

Does anybody have any suggestions for what I can do about this, or even any ideas on why she might be doing it?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 11:03 PM

1,121 posts, read 3,666,076 times
I am going to offer my opinion only if you have ruled out any other medical reason.
In a dog's world licking is comforting. Their mothers lick them, their litter mates lick them, they self calm themselves by grooming and licking their own bodies. It seems like your dog has taken this to an extreme degree, sort of like a person who overeats in stressful situations or shows other extreme behavior. It is possible, that you could replace this behavior with other pleasurable experiences like petting and brushing, but you may end up as a slave to satisfying this dog's need for stimulation. It appears that you have a dog that has been taumatized or damaged someway and is now acting out on that behavior. If you can afford it, a session with an expert animal behaviorist could be helpful.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:14 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,681,544 times
Maybe check the ingredients in her food -- Corn, soy, glutens, are very common allergens for dogs.
Thankfully there are meat-based foods widely available now, giving us more options. www.dogfoodanalysis.com is a priceless (and unbiased) resource which lists ingredients, and facts regarding them, of each food.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:28 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
If she is only now doing this to herself, I'd say food allergy should be checked out. I think a vet visit is in order. Poor baby!

Old 06-03-2009, 12:42 AM

18,727 posts, read 33,396,751 times
Frantic foot licking can be an allergy or hot spots. My dog needed a brief course of Prednisone to end licking, at least on his feet.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:57 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,424,010 times
Lick sores are also called "boredom" sores....usually in middle to older less active dogs. They usually start the almost compulsive licking when left alone with nothing else to interest them.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:33 AM

1,477 posts, read 7,911,038 times
Have you consulted your vet already? If your vet just tells you to put an e-collar on her and doesn't suggest trying an elimination diet and/or antihistamines then it's time to see another vet.

In the meantime, eliminate all wheat, soy, gluten and corn from her diet. Try giving her Benadryl. Start with 1mg for every pound of her weight every 8 hours. You can go as high as 2mg for every pound of body weight. Benadryl is also a mild tranquilizer over and above its effect on allergic responses, which sometimes helps alleviate anxiety, which is why it sometimes helps compulsive lickers.

If you have a holistic vet in your area, it may be worth getting a consultation. They often are more proactive in dealing with this type of issue.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:43 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Our lab had a round of that too. She had "kick grauloma".

Old 06-03-2009, 07:11 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Thank you all so much! I think I am going to have to get an appointment with our vet, who is wonderful. I just don't want her to suggest a collar because I know it would be a 24-7 thing. Has anyone actually tried animal behaviorists?

Old 06-03-2009, 10:28 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Food allergies. My dogs used to lick year round. It was terribly annoying. The vet recommended switching dog food. Both dogs stopped licking within a week of eating the new food. One licks in the fall during ragweed season and that's it. They now Nature's Recipe Healthy Skin Venison & Rice. Some owners need to feed their dogs something more exotic, but venison worked well for my dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs