Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 06:57 AM

553 posts, read 1,632,388 times

Advertisements

Lately Lanie has been licking the sofa...she will start licking herself and will then continue on to licking the sofa. I have been putting towels or blankets down, but she likes to burrow and will move it out of the way. It's so gross, and it's hard to clean to get the marks totally out, so I would like to figure out why she's doing it. When we're home we can redirect her, but when we go away, she moves the old towels and licks to her heart's content.
I wish we hadn't allowed our dogs on the furniture, but it's one of their great pleasures in life, so I'm not going to stop it now. Anyone have suggestions for stopping the licking?

Here she is, happy with herself and the slobber-covered sofa.

Since the sofa's thoroughly wet, she can finally relax
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 07:10 AM

1,138 posts, read 3,343,707 times
She may need to be distracted with exercise, play/interaction... I find that when we get to busy with our day the first one left out of the routine is the dog hence bad repetative behaviors bloom. Just give a walk at the same time everyday a try, if already doing that try to add something like a Kong with a difficult to pull out peanut butter covered treat... to break up a minatinous day. Maybe some other malady but I know this approach has corrected a few undesirable traits for our family pet.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:19 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
I'm guessing it is somekind of a comfort to her...like a cat kneading...dogs will often direct their attention on one particular item...usually starts on the paws...goes to rugs or in your case, the furniture. Stress and boredom also are causes for this. Like mentioned above, re-directing...maybe give her an extra yummy bone or treat when she starts. Or a toy, anything, to get her mind off of the licking.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:20 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,053,490 times
Nothing like sitting on a wet spot. I don't know if it would harm your couch, but maybe look at the bitter apple spray.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:09 AM

501 posts, read 1,295,903 times
Don't know if it is any consolation, but my rescue english pointer does that, and I am thinking it is a comfort/habit thing.

I have a fleece blanket I cover our leather couch with, and she will start licking herself, and then finish off with a a few slurps on the fleece. Does the same pattern when licking on her dog bed, on the blanket on top of our bed that she sleeps on, etc. I've been telling her to stop for 2 years now, and she does....but resumes whenever her next licking begins. I am home with her, so it never gets out of hand or really wet.

When you leave her alone at home, is there any way you could wrap an old blanket around those cushions (tucked completely underneath the cushions), so that she might think it is part of the couch and lick on something that can be washed?

I guess they could have worse bad habits, but it is annoying!

P.S. Your dog is adorable.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:31 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Our younger dog does that. It seems kind of random and unthinking...she will be licking her foot and then just spill over to the couch...*sigh*

Old 07-11-2010, 03:51 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,074,674 times
I think it's the color and fabric of the couch because we have the same one and our dog does it too! We just yell NO! and she stops immediately...just keep doing that and hopefully...

Old 07-11-2010, 06:56 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
First, I would try cleaning that area of the sofa with an enzymatic cleaner to remove any possible organic matter that might be attracting your dog. It won't harm her, and won't leave a residue. After it dries, sponge the area with a 50-50% solution of vinegar-distilled (or filtered) water.

IF that fails, then get some of that "pet away" spray from the pet supply store, choosing something that is not chemical based.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:04 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
One of my seniors does that- on the bed. I hold his collar to sort of distract him and he usually stops. It's almost like a self-soothing behavior, or a minor compulsion.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:12 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Our youngest also has the coldest, wettest nose on the planet and she has this compulsion to constantly touch you with it. What the heck is that?!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs