Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 12:15 AM

73 posts, read 218,175 times

Advertisements

My puppy does something similar. I have some throw pillows on our couch. Two are cotton covers and two are silk shantung. The cotton are poly fill and the silk are down. For some reason he is obsessed with licking the silk, down-filled pillows. He has no interest in the other ones. He just hops on the couch and starts to obsessively lick those pillows. And heaven help you if you try to take it away from him. He just snaps at you and then goes to wherever you've moved it. My husband and I cannot figure it out. Similarly I can redirect him to his rope toy, but I just wish I knew what was so great about those pillows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 09:57 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Artie does this too, on occasion, always while he's lying on me. He also licks the book I'm reading. While he does this -- licking the couch or the book -- he looks up at me, staring into my eyes. I'm convinced that he's he's kissing the couch (or book) as a way of telling me that he thinks I've got good taste in furniture and reading material. Yeah, yeah, I know that I'm nutty.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:16 PM

553 posts, read 1,633,140 times
Looks like I am in good company!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary54mi View Post
She may need to be distracted with exercise, play/interaction... I find that when we get to busy with our day the first one left out of the routine is the dog hence bad repetative behaviors bloom. Just give a walk at the same time everyday a try, if already doing that try to add something like a Kong with a difficult to pull out peanut butter covered treat... to break up a minatinous day. Maybe some other malady but I know this approach has corrected a few undesirable traits for our family pet.
She gets walked at the same time each day, but because of the heat we've had to shorten the walks. Maybe we'll do two shorter walks. Possibly some type of treat, but we try to be careful because our other dog has a bit of food agression toward other dogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
I'm guessing it is somekind of a comfort to her...like a cat kneading...dogs will often direct their attention on one particular item...usually starts on the paws...goes to rugs or in your case, the furniture. Stress and boredom also are causes for this. Like mentioned above, re-directing...maybe give her an extra yummy bone or treat when she starts. Or a toy, anything, to get her mind off of the licking.
She could be picking up on my stress...that's a good reason for me to do some yoga breathing. We'll start trying to distract her more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flkingfan View Post
Nothing like sitting on a wet spot. I don't know if it would harm your couch, but maybe look at the bitter apple spray.
I kind of hate the couch, but we bought it because it's easy to clean. I kind of doubt spray would harm it, so we may pick some up at Petco tomorrow night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarsugar View Post
Don't know if it is any consolation, but my rescue english pointer does that, and I am thinking it is a comfort/habit thing.

I have a fleece blanket I cover our leather couch with, and she will start licking herself, and then finish off with a a few slurps on the fleece. Does the same pattern when licking on her dog bed, on the blanket on top of our bed that she sleeps on, etc. I've been telling her to stop for 2 years now, and she does....but resumes whenever her next licking begins. I am home with her, so it never gets out of hand or really wet.

When you leave her alone at home, is there any way you could wrap an old blanket around those cushions (tucked completely underneath the cushions), so that she might think it is part of the couch and lick on something that can be washed?

I guess they could have worse bad habits, but it is annoying!

P.S. Your dog is adorable.
This dog has pulled the duvet, flat and fitted sheet, mattress pad and plastic mattress cover off the spare bed. The can get through anything! It takes time though, so I could try wrapping a towel or sheet.

Oh, and I will relay your compliment to her

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Our younger dog does that. It seems kind of random and unthinking...she will be licking her foot and then just spill over to the couch...*sigh*
It just makes you wonder what they are thinking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post
I think it's the color and fabric of the couch because we have the same one and our dog does it too! We just yell NO! and she stops immediately...just keep doing that and hopefully...
If we raise our voices our dogs go hide. Maybe we got upgraded to flavored couches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
First, I would try cleaning that area of the sofa with an enzymatic cleaner to remove any possible organic matter that might be attracting your dog. It won't harm her, and won't leave a residue. After it dries, sponge the area with a 50-50% solution of vinegar-distilled (or filtered) water.

IF that fails, then get some of that "pet away" spray from the pet supply store, choosing something that is not chemical based.
Good idea. I'll use NoMos on it tomorrow night, then follow with bitter apple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
One of my seniors does that- on the bed. I hold his collar to sort of distract him and he usually stops. It's almost like a self-soothing behavior, or a minor compulsion.
Maybe that's the doggie equivalent of nail biting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Our youngest also has the coldest, wettest nose on the planet and she has this compulsion to constantly touch you with it. What the heck is that?!!
nothing like getting goosed with a cold nose

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenamanie View Post
My puppy does something similar. I have some throw pillows on our couch. Two are cotton covers and two are silk shantung. The cotton are poly fill and the silk are down. For some reason he is obsessed with licking the silk, down-filled pillows. He has no interest in the other ones. He just hops on the couch and starts to obsessively lick those pillows. And heaven help you if you try to take it away from him. He just snaps at you and then goes to wherever you've moved it. My husband and I cannot figure it out. Similarly I can redirect him to his rope toy, but I just wish I knew what was so great about those pillows.
Ok, the down probably smell great to him! If he can't get a real goose, it's the next best thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Artie does this too, on occasion, always while he's lying on me. He also licks the book I'm reading. While he does this -- licking the couch or the book -- he looks up at me, staring into my eyes. I'm convinced that he's he's kissing the couch (or book) as a way of telling me that he thinks I've got good taste in furniture and reading material. Yeah, yeah, I know that I'm nutty.
Not nutty...it's very sweet. Artie sounds like a guy who has a lot to say, so he has to be creative in expressing himself!

Old 07-13-2010, 04:15 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Goosed! That's exactly what we call it! And it's persistent goosing!

Old 08-04-2010, 06:14 AM

3 posts, read 8,441 times
My dog has a similar issue. When he's stressed or anxious or who knows, he has to lick something. He's never woken me up in the middle of the night, but then he sleeps in my bed. If it is an OCD thing, is there something that happens at that time of night to stress him out? Something going on or off in your house, or a noise outside? If it's an outside trigger, maybe you can start working with him. Spraying the area with a dog repellent might help too. You might have to try a few different ones before you find one he can't stand.

Moderator cut: no ads allowed

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 08-11-2010 at 10:42 AM..

Old 08-05-2010, 11:37 AM

561 posts, read 1,513,014 times
I had a Lhasa Apso who was a licker extraordinaire--I never knew what compelled him to lick. He licked the furniture, carpet, wood floor, me, just about anything. When he went into his kennel at night, he would lick the walls in the corner. He had a sibling sister, plenty of company, toys, exercise and just about everything a house dog could want, but he licked and licked and licked. He definitely was obsessive compulsive, but we never could figure out why, and so it remains a mystery. I just dealt with the wet spots. I miss them both so much, I'd welcome the wet spots anytime; but my licking baby and his sibling sister are waiting for me at Rainbow Bridge.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:33 AM

2 posts, read 4,356 times
OMG! I have 3 Chauwauwa's and all 3 have very cold little noses that MUST touch my legs as soon as they see me. I honestly feel it's an affectionate thing from them although it annoys the heck outta me! I jump every time! My youngest one cleans my other dogs ears and other parts that I never stop him from doing cause it is very natural, he's a bit OCD about it. My oldest one licks where she's going to lay. My middle one likes to lick the couch and is extremely needy. I have it all going on but love every one them so much. I let go what I can handle and stop what I can't. It's part of being a good animal keeper.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:19 AM

1 posts, read 2,666 times
For what it is worth, looks like we have the same brown ultrasuede sofa. My mutt likes to start with the paw licking, then go into the sofa. He doesn't lick the pillows, just the soft bed he's working on. I put some fleece down and it helps a bit, but I wonder if he's not just attracted to the soft tongue like surface of the fabric?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs