Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 07:01 AM

9 posts, read 12,612 times

Advertisements

What do you do when a neighbors dog attacks other dogs, has even chased our son up my driveway. The neighbor tells all its another dog doing all this. I took pictures of her dog in my yard right after it attacked a puppy in my yard to animal comtrol with complaints from 3 people. They say theres not enough proof its her dog and won't do anything. Need hep because this dog is going to hurt someone. I have put up a fence on that side but that won't protect other dogs nor other kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 07:24 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,530,570 times
I would think it running loose would be enough for animal control to pick it up! Aren't there leash laws in your area? Next time, call animal control about a loose dog who has chased your son, not a loose dog who belongs to your neighbor.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:16 AM

19,855 posts, read 66,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
I would think it running loose would be enough for animal control to pick it up! Aren't there leash laws in your area? Next time, call animal control about a loose dog who has chased your son, not a loose dog who belongs to your neighbor.
I agree - they will always pick up a loose dog.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:51 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,590,103 times
Picking up a loose dog depends on where you live! In my former town in SC they would NOT pick up a dog unless it was on public property [e.g., the road]. If it ran into a yard, anyone's yard, it was safe.

Can you capture this dog in a baited trap and turn it in? Maybe animal control will even bring and set on up for you. The neighbor should not care since it is "not" their dog. That is what they did in our neighborhood when some local dogs were cut loose at night and killed several cats and started threatening people.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:58 AM

549 posts, read 2,210,885 times
Yeah, most animal control centers have those traps...see about having them set one up. Let them know that there's a vicious dog that roams the neighborhood and you're afraid for the safety of your child and others....lay it on...tell them how it's chased your child, it's attacked other animals and it needs to be handled.

Oh, and that neighbor sounds like a real jerk

Old 06-11-2009, 09:44 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,696,893 times
Another dog that will pay for the irresponsibility and stupidity of its owner!

Old 06-11-2009, 09:50 AM

15,851 posts, read 35,237,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhuffman View Post
What do you do when a neighbors dog attacks other dogs, has even chased our son up my driveway. The neighbor tells all its another dog doing all this. I took pictures of her dog in my yard right after it attacked a puppy in my yard to animal comtrol with complaints from 3 people. They say theres not enough proof its her dog and won't do anything. Need hep because this dog is going to hurt someone. I have put up a fence on that side but that won't protect other dogs nor other kids.
Out here in the country there is a saying..... SSS

Shoot it,
Shovel it,
Shut up about it.

My advice precisely.

(Since you are in the city and might not be able to shoot it, then I would say a baseball bat would do the trick).

Reputable dog breeders know that aggressive dogs are ALWAYS put down. Dogs can hurt, maim and kill people and children (and *not* just dangerous breeds, either), so having a dog like this in the neighborhood is very dangerous to EVERYONE. If your local law enforcement authority will not take care of this problem then I suggest SSS.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-11-2009, 10:48 AM

314 posts, read 1,108,901 times
Or, the other hand- some of us less civilized citizenry keep yard dogs specifically to prevent varmints, critters, and strays from becoming a potential hazard. Though necessary,shooting the neighbor's dog does tend to produce some nasty long-term results even here in the hinterlands.While I understand that isn't an option for most, I honestly don't know how you maintain your sanity having to depend on local law enforcement for something as basic as removing a physical threat to your children.

Last edited by oldenfatt; 06-11-2009 at 10:49 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-11-2009, 10:49 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,991,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Out here in the country there is a saying..... SSS

Shoot it,
Shovel it,
Shut up about it.

My advice precisely.

(Since you are in the city and might not be able to shoot it, then I would say a baseball bat would do the trick).

Reputable dog breeders know that aggressive dogs are ALWAYS put down. Dogs can hurt, maim and kill people and children (and *not* just dangerous breeds, either), so having a dog like this in the neighborhood is very dangerous to EVERYONE. If your local law enforcement authority will not take care of this problem then I suggest SSS.

20yrsinBranson
Are you really suggesting that the OP beat this dog to death with a baseball bat?

As long as no one's life is in immediate danger, I would continue to pursue a legal and ethical solution.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:13 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,307,446 times
A lot of AC will not come out if you do not have the dog in your custody. I guess they figure that by the time they get there the dog will be gone. Not saying that it is right but even in a metro area they won't always come to try and find a dog running loose.

I would ask them what you need to do for them to pick the dog up. If you feel they are just putting you off, call the mayor or councilman and complain. They should at least come out and check it out if the dog attacked another dog. Last but not least threaten to go to the media to have them do a story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs