Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 02:41 PM

115 posts, read 353,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
This is what we use
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 09:15 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,683,094 times
i had really good results with the sense-ible harness. it's one that attaches in the front and turns the dog around if she pulls.

the only thing is, it chafed my dog under her legs, so i stopped using it.

but she still walks well with a flat collar! go figure! she was a huge puller before. when she does pull now (doesn't happen often), i do just stop and she's learned that that means go a few steps backwards and then she can go forward again.

regarding pinch/prong collars, they are less dangerous than choke chains or slip collars, but there's just no reason to correct your dog that way. you are hurting them, that's why it works.

speaking of pat miller, this is her take on prong collars:

Myth #9:
The prong collar works by mimicking a mother dog’s teeth and her corrections.

It’s a little daunting to think that people actually believe this. It would be silly if it
weren’t so potentially damaging to the relationship, and potentially dangerous as
well. The prong collar works because the prongs pressing into the dog’s neck are
uncomfortable at best, painful at worst. Because dogs will work to avoid pain and
discomfort, the prong collar does work to stop a dog from pulling on the leash, and
can shut down other undesirable behaviors as well, at least temporarily. However,
like all training tools and techniques that are based on pain and intimidation, there
is a significant risk of unintended consequences.

In the case of the prong collar, the primary risk is that the dog will associate the
pain with something in his environment at the time he feels it, and this can lead to
aggression toward the mistakenly identified cause. A dog’s unmannerly, “I want
to greet you” lunge toward another dog or person can turn into, “I want to eat you,”
if he decides that the object of his attentions is hurting him."

some more info on dog training from pat miller:

http://www.urbananimal.net/pdf/issue...ythbusting.pdf

Last edited by groar; 07-14-2009 at 09:23 PM..

Old 07-15-2009, 07:30 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,794,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
In the case of the prong collar, the primary risk is that the dog will associate the
pain with something in his environment at the time he feels it, and this can lead to
aggression toward the mistakenly identified cause. A dog’s unmannerly, “I want
to greet you” lunge toward another dog or person can turn into, “I want to eat you,”
if he decides that the object of his attentions is hurting him."

some more info on dog training from pat miller:

http://www.urbananimal.net/pdf/issue...ythbusting.pdf
Maybe just a bit of a streeeeeeeeeeetch.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:47 AM

why is it a stretch?

when something good happens to a dog, the dog associates it with whatever's going on at the time.

when something bad happens to a dog, the dog associates it with whatever's going on at the time.

if your timing is not spot on perfect with a "correction", you risk the dog associating the pain with the wrong thing. a dog could easily end up thinking "hey, when i see another dog/a stranger/a little kid, i hurt! i hate those things!" eventually, they may catch on to the fact that the one common factor when pain happens is *you*.

you can also mis-time positive reinforcement and end up reinforcing a behavior you don't want, but this is a lot less harmful than the potential fallout from using punishment incorrectly.

never mind that yanking an animal around by the neck just isn't good for them physically.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:18 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,794,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
why is it a stretch?

when something good happens to a dog, the dog associates it with whatever's going on at the time.

when something bad happens to a dog, the dog associates it with whatever's going on at the time.

if your timing is not spot on perfect with a "correction", you risk the dog associating the pain with the wrong thing. a dog could easily end up thinking "hey, when i see another dog/a stranger/a little kid, i hurt! i hate those things!" eventually, they may catch on to the fact that the one common factor when pain happens is *you*.

you can also mis-time positive reinforcement and end up reinforcing a behavior you don't want, but this is a lot less harmful than the potential fallout from using punishment incorrectly.

never mind that yanking an animal around by the neck just isn't good for them physically.
No, no... I agree that poor timing is bad regardless of the training method, I'm a little iffy on the idea that a poorly timed correction can turn "I want to greet you" into "I want to eat you". Just a tad dramatic, wouldn't you agree?

Old 07-15-2009, 09:22 AM

i guess "eat" might be a little extreme; i'm sure it was just used for the rhyme. but "i see jimbo, i pull towards him, and it makes my neck hurt" could easily turn into "i hate jimbo and i'm going to bite him" rather than "i'm not going to pull toward jimbo when i see him anymore".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs