Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 12:43 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,111,302 times

Advertisements

I dont care what anyone says I vaccinate my dogs regardless why take the chance ?
I mean if you love your dog you need to vaccinate ,ppl can say what they want but you need to listen to proffesionals because that is what you pay them for is it not ? I would rather vaccinate and not have to worry about something being spread because of me not vaccinating .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 02:30 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,726,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I dont care what anyone says I vaccinate my dogs regardless why take the chance ?
I mean if you love your dog you need to vaccinate ,ppl can say what they want but you need to listen to proffesionals because that is what you pay them for is it not ? I would rather vaccinate and not have to worry about something being spread because of me not vaccinating .
I agree 100%.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:33 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,957,421 times
The point of what I said was that you still DO have to worry: the vaccine doesn't protect against some of the causes of this syndrome, and even with those against which it IS designed to protect, it's WAY short of 100%.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:06 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,578,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Some dog has bad reactions to vaccination. Vaccine played a very important role in killing my GSD. There were two groups of vets on this issue. When my GSD got sick, I have three vets come forward and tell me not to ever vaccinate her again. They all offer to write a letter to the city so she would not be required to have rabies vaccine. But it was already too late for my GSD. With my newly adopted one, I will ask to see titer first. During the adoption, the lady who was doing (I think Mrs 1885 knows her) asked me about my former GSD. I described her sickness without mentioning the vaccine. The lady said firmly "your vet killed your baby with vaccine. Am I right? No wonder she gave you a very good reference".

Old 07-07-2009, 05:06 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,443,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LingLing View Post
Some dog has bad reactions to vaccination. Vaccine played a very important role in killing my GSD. There were two groups of vets on this issue. When my GSD got sick, I have three vets come forward and tell me not to ever vaccinate her again. They all offer to write a letter to the city so she would not be required to have rabies vaccine. But it was already too late for my GSD. With my newly adopted one, I will ask to see titer first. During the adoption, the lady who was doing (I think Mrs 1885 knows her) asked me about my former GSD. I described her sickness without mentioning the vaccine. The lady said firmly "your vet killed your baby with vaccine. Am I right? No wonder she gave you a very good reference".
Not sure who you're talking about.

As far as standard rabies and regualr annual vaccinations, I'd never skip one. There is always a chance of an adverse reaction with anything you give a dog. You had an incredibly traumatic experience with a vaccine. But keep in mind they're even more likely to contract and die from the multitude of viruses out there than they are to die from the vaccine.

I feel for you. Losing one when you're tying to do your best must be a heart breaker. And I'm sure I"d be leery of getting on the bull again too, but you really need to keep it in perspective when it comes to their health.

Old 07-07-2009, 05:33 PM

1,629 posts, read 3,479,261 times
My dog is up to date on everything, including Bordetella. But LingLing's experience is why I'm asking about the vaccinations that aren't for life-threatening illnesses.

Parvo is easily deadly - that's a no-brainer: vaccinate.

But kennel cough is easily treated with antibiotics. Is that worth the risk? Especially since it's not completely effective anyway.

Old 07-07-2009, 05:36 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,981,961 times
Personally, my dogs get their bordatella before they board instead of every 6 months. Now if we were more sociable with other dogs, I might do things differently. On the other hand, I have never seen or heard of a dog having a severe reaction to the bordetella vaccine. It's much more likely to happen with something like a lepto vaccine.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:04 PM

1,629 posts, read 3,479,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas sky View Post
Personally, my dogs get their bordatella before they board instead of every 6 months. Now if we were more sociable with other dogs, I might do things differently. On the other hand, I have never seen or heard of a dog having a severe reaction to the bordetella vaccine. It's much more likely to happen with something like a lepto vaccine.
Thanks for your response.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:56 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,957,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mearth View Post
My dog is up to date on everything, including Bordetella. But LingLing's experience is why I'm asking about the vaccinations that aren't for life-threatening illnesses.

Parvo is easily deadly - that's a no-brainer: vaccinate.

But kennel cough is easily treated with antibiotics. Is that worth the risk? Especially since it's not completely effective anyway.
Kennel cough is also caused by a few viruses. These aren't treated by antibiotics, so it's not always easily eradicated.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:05 AM

1,257 posts, read 4,578,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Kennel cough is also caused by a few viruses. These aren't treated by antibiotics, so it's not always easily eradicated.
But the vaccine doesn't contain the viral antigen. Am I right? As far as I know, the vaccine contains inactive bacteria that cause common cases of kennel cough. If it doesn't contain viral antigen, it will have no use when it comes to viral infection.

As you pointed out before, every six months, the dog is exposed to the same group of antigens repeatedly since the antigen on the infectious bacteria is stable. In the case of human flu virus, it changes every year due to antigenic shift and drift. It is reasonable that we, human, get vaccinated every year. Remember, we are exposed to different antigen each year and each time.

Now for our dogs, who cares! Am I right? Every six month, the same antigen in massive amount was injected into our dog. What are the results?
a. Lucky, nothing happens. If your dog still got infected, well, sorry the vaccine doesn’t work for you.
b. Introduce immune tolerance. Your dog will be more likely to be infected since your dog no longer has the ability to fight it. Bring your dog to vet and sorry, the vaccine only works 80% of time.
c. Induce hyper immune response. This will kill your dog instantly or gradually.

Keep in mind, please always ask for a titer first. If your dog has absolutely no antibody from previous vaccination, then by all means, do the vaccination. If your dog still has titer, which means T-memory cells are still in circulation. Don’t do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs