Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 04:14 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,186,004 times

Advertisements

I am sorry about your GS and I can understand why you feel strongly against the vaccinations.

My dogs are given the intranasal vaccine for Bordetella. I personally know someone who did not vaccinate their GS and their dog died of distemper when he was 3 yo. I have had dogs for over 40 years and not one has ever had a problem from vaccines. They all lived a long life over 15 years for large dogs, in fact my last dog was over 17 he was a GSD mix. I would feel horrible if I did not vaccinate my dogs and one of my dogs died because I brought home parvo or another disease from the AC shelter.

We all love our dogs and we do what we feel is best for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 04:29 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,408,854 times
I thought Bordetella was only intra-nansal. Mine have never gotten it any other way. Also, must be in the system for at least 10 days before it does any good.

edit....on further searching, found it does come in two forms. The nasal working faster, but not lasting as long.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:49 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,574,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
My dogs are given the intranasal vaccine for Bordetella. I personally know someone who did not vaccinate their GS and their dog died of distemper when he was 3 yo. I have had dogs for over 40 years and not one has ever had a problem from vaccines. They all lived a long life over 15 years for large dogs, in fact my last dog was over 17 he was a GSD mix. I would feel horrible if I did not vaccinate my dogs and one of my dogs died because I brought home parvo or another disease from the AC shelter.

We all love our dogs and we do what we feel is best for them.
I agree that intranasal vaccine for Bordetella vaccine is a better choice. I think everyone should know this choice prior to the injection. I was not informed of that choice by all the vets we have visited. Only after my GSD died, I started to looked into the vaccine issues myself and found that I can buy it on line and administrated myself. However, the efficacy of the vaccine is questionable. The side effect of these vaccine will be much diminished too. There is simply no data to suggest that is working or not working.

As I mentioned before, I also totally agree with you that vaccine that was given for deadly infectious disease such as distemper and given for once in their lifetime or once every three years are important.

But we are not discussing these vaccines here. We are talking about Bordetella vaccine here.

I am happy for all your dogs. On top of regular doses of vaccine, what else do you do that you feel important to prolong the life span of your dogs. Since I moved to my neighborhood, my neighbors lost their 8 yr old GSD, a 6 yr old boxer, a 6 yr pitbull and another 8 yr old mix (four different neighbors). I would love to hear from you about your secret.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
I am sorry about your GS and I can understand why you feel strongly against the vaccinations. .
You are wrong. I am not against vaccinations. I am just against this particular type of vaccine that requires to be done every six months. It is not effective and interferes with immunsystem regulation.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:53 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,977,610 times
LingLing, I sent you a pm. I originally wrote it as a reply in this thread, but decided I didn't want to drag it off topic.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:39 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,345,372 times
I just adopted a dog from a breeder and she recommended that my puppy not be given the bordetella vaccine because she knows someone with a dog, same breed as mine, whose dog died from a reaction to the bordetella vaccine. And bordetella can be treated with antibiotics if they get it. Does this sound logical? we are bringing in our new pup for her rabies next week. (she is 6 months)
We likely will never board her anywhere.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:51 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,160,787 times
I see no reason whatsoever to give any dog that vaccine! My dog GOT kennel cough from the vaccine. The treatment was the same as if she had gotten it w/out getting the vaccine.
That makes no sense!!! Just take your chances; if the dog gets the kennel cough-give it the meds.

I've learned my lesson and will take a bolder and stronger stance from here on out. I had told the vet 3x NO to the vaccine. They backed me into a corner the last time. I'll come out fighting---for my dog---next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
I just adopted a dog from a breeder and she recommended that my puppy not be given the bordetella vaccine because she knows someone with a dog, same breed as mine, whose dog died from a reaction to the bordetella vaccine. And bordetella can be treated with antibiotics if they get it. Does this sound logical? we are bringing in our new pup for her rabies next week. (she is 6 months)
We likely will never board her anywhere.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
I'll come out fighting---for my dog---next time.
Yes. No one really cares about your dog. You dog is counting on you to protect her or him. Your dog already showed hyper response to that vaccine. You are making the right decision.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:21 AM

725 posts, read 3,013,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
I see no reason whatsoever to give any dog that vaccine! My dog GOT kennel cough from the vaccine. The treatment was the same as if she had gotten it w/out getting the vaccine.
That makes no sense!!! Just take your chances; if the dog gets the kennel cough-give it the meds.
I just went to the vet this weekend to get (one of) our dog's annual shots. Our vet said that he wouldn't push us to get the bordatella UNLESS our dogs went to things like: doggy day care/ boarding, dog parks, dog beachs... etc. He also explained that the bordatella shot DOES NOT prevent kennel cough... it's like the human flu shot... you may still get the flu even after you get the shot... and then he said, IF our dog gets kennel cough, he could just write us a prescription for doxycline (antibiotic) which will get rid of the kennel cough after a few days...

so I agree with you there... the treatment is the same with or without this shot... and you can save yourself the cost of bordatella + a city dog friendly area permit/fee if applicable...

Old 12-20-2009, 06:00 AM

567 posts, read 1,743,855 times
We took our dog to the vet Thursday to have the intranasal bordetella vaccination and he has quite eating and does nothing but lay around. Not sure what the problem is, but took back Sat. morning and had him checked out for another $120.00 and if no better take back Monday for blood work which is another $100.00 plus treatment. If he makes it through this we are changing Doctors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs