Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 03:24 PM

1,629 posts, read 3,479,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LingLing View Post
Keep in mind, please always ask for a titer first. If your dog has absolutely no antibody from previous vaccination, then by all means, do the vaccination. If your dog still has titer, which means T-memory cells are still in circulation. Don’t do it.
Would that mean a blood test? How much does it cost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 04:03 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,957,421 times
Yes, it's a blood test. You'd have to ask your vet how much it costs - prices vary by geographic location across the US.

Remember, however, nothing is a sure fire guarantee: the vaccine doesn't protect against all causes of kennel cough and the titer testing can't detect all the possible antibodies that will protect your dog, either.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:09 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,224,291 times
I didn't know they would do titer test for Kennel cough? I had titer testing done on my dogs while in FL but they didn't check for kennel cough. The test cost as much as the shots and if they had to get the shots after the test you paid full amt.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:14 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,578,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
I didn't know they would do titer test for Kennel cough? I had titer testing done on my dogs while in FL but they didn't check for kennel cough. The test cost as much as the shots and if they had to get the shots after the test you paid full amt.
The cost is the real reason that the titer wasn't done prior to another injection. Since many owners don't want to pay for titer, the general guideline becomes what it is now.

For me, I will vaccinate my dog once and will not do it again. If there will be a kennel cough pandemic going on in my neighborhood, I will bring my dog in for a titer, then vaccination if there is no titer.

For myself, because of my job (medical research field), I was vaccinated against HBV in 1993. Usually, I was required to have a boost every few years. In addition, every time, I change my job. The new job always requires me to be vaccinated against HBV. 16 yrs have passed and I always ask for a titer for myself. My titer suggests that I still have the antibody. So since 1993, I haven't been exposed to that vaccine again. I think I will apply the same principle to my dog.

For owners whose dog had the kennel cough, your dog should have life time immunity against the bug. The same bug will not be able to cause kennel cough in your dog again so there is no need to vaccinate against that particular type of bug.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:21 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,578,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
I had titer testing done on my dogs while in FL but they didn't check for kennel cough..
I guess the kennel cough vaccine must be very ineffective so titer test can't be done (if it is true. I diligently did every six month until my GSD passed away. My new GSD just had hers when I adopted her so I didn't know about that the titer testing can't be done). Think about it, it must be a very ineffective vaccine so it has to be boosted so often!! I am not going to put my new GSD into that hell ever again.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:48 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,957,421 times
Quote:
I guess the kennel cough vaccine must be very ineffective so titer test can't be done (if it is true. I diligently did every six month until my GSD passed away. My new GSD just had hers when I adopted her so I didn't know about that the titer testing can't be done). Think about it, it must be a very ineffective vaccine so it has to be boosted so often!! I am not going to put my new GSD into that hell ever again.
The vaccine DOES have very low effectiveness: that's what I said in my post!

Old 07-09-2009, 05:36 PM

1,629 posts, read 3,479,261 times
Quote:
For owners whose dog had the kennel cough, your dog should have life time immunity against the bug. The same bug will not be able to cause kennel cough in your dog again so there is no need to vaccinate against that particular type of bug.
Do you agree with this, ViralMD?

My dog had kennel cough when I adopted her, I had to give her antibiotics for it. Yet the vet had me re-vaccinate her Maybe just to make money.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:45 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,174,798 times
Default my dog got it from the vaccine

just got back from the vet with my Malti-Poo.
The vet forced me to get her that vaccine last Thursday when I took her to be groomed there. I did not want her to have it. I told them to note on her records it was being given against my wishes. Now she has Kennel Cough!!!!
I'm peeeeeeeved. She's on an antibiotic and cough syrup. They told me the puppy is not likely to get it since she had her round of puppy shots and is only 6 months old.

Should the puppy get it and or the Malti-Poo not recover................
let's just hope for the best because I'm pretty mad right now

Old 07-14-2009, 04:44 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,224,291 times
Sorry to hear that DW.. did the puppy get the Kennel Cough vaccine or just the regular puppy shots? Maybe ViralMD can tell you if giving the vaccine caused your malti poo to get it. I know my groomer requires my dogs to have it.

Maybe the puppy still has immunity from Mom.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:15 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,174,798 times
had to make a 2nd trip back to the vet this afternoon.
Abbey wouldn't eat,drink or urinate.
Vet checked her and said she isn't dehydrated. Had she been, they wanted to start an IV and keep her for a few hours---at NO cost to our pocketbooks!
I told her I didn't understand why they (A) insisted on that vaccine last week
(B) why they waited until the morning of her grooming to give it if it takes 72 hours to 2 weeks to be effective. That doesn't make sense to me. I made her grooming appt. a week before she went.
I told the vet when the Administrator is back in the office on Thursday I want a sit down meeting with her,the vet and the groomer to discuss this.

Since returning from the vet Abbey has eaten,drank water and peed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs